• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Bound Set of G A Classics Ilustrated Value???

4 posts in this topic

I just acquired a bound set of CI from # 1-169 plus many of the specials in a separate bound set of volumes.

Most of the earlier copies from 1-58 are Line Drawn covers HRN 60 and many of the ones following from # 59-169 are original first printings.

There are 23 PROFESSIONALLY hardbound books (17 CI & 6 CI Specials/World Around Us) and there is the usual cropping of the books to make them uniform, otherwise, the books are VF-NM in apperance with supple off-white pages in most cases. The only 2 copies that have wear are #4 (Last of the Mohicans) & # 33 (Sherlock Homes) and the # 1 (Three Musketeers) is F/VF in appearance with a color breaking crease on the bottom right corner of the cover.

I am considering just keeping them for myself as they are GORGEOUS.

BUT, my question to my fellow forumites is: What is the value of them, irrespective of what I paid.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen Lipson

My best estimate is around $20-$25 per volume making the entire set worth about $500. If they really look great when you're inspecting them, maybe $800 tops...

I've sold tons of bound volumes over the years and really don't take the value of each book into consideration when buying/selling. It's really a matter of presentation and whether there's an emotional attachment to the series by the potential buyer. For instance I had a Mary Jane and Sniffles fan buy a group of Looney Tunes volumes from me because she loved that series. She was willing to pay almost Guide. But I had some Tom and Jerry's and got about $12 for each volume (or a buck apiece for each book...).

Stephen:

I'll be seeing Ray True at the Chicago show in a few weeks. He's one of the foremost CI collector/dealer/archivists around. I'll ask him how common CI bound volumes are. I'll also ask him what he thinks the value is.

Still making some buys I see. Nice. I love bound volumes. I think it's cool that someone wanted to preserve something so badly that they would go through all the time, effort and cost of having them bound.

Another guy to contact is Steve Geppi. He has an office that's filled with shelves and shelves of bound volumes...

--Gary