• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Collectible Insurance Service a viable option for you?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I use CIS too, and the nice thing for the dealer policy (I have a personal policy as well, which is different) is that they just changed the limits on coverage for shipping books.  Before, you had to use Registered or Express Mail to have coverage over I believe $2,000 per package -- now, you can have even more coverage than that, for any package with "signature required".  So you can send a $10k package via Priority Mail, and as long as it has signature required, you're covered.  

If you're shipping a lot of books, or even just shipping a box or two to CGC/auction houses each month, the dealer policy is well worth it and will pay for itself in savings not paying USPS to insure your packages.  The peace of mind is of course very nice as well.

10 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

I use CIS too, and the nice thing for the dealer policy (I have a personal policy as well, which is different) is that they just changed the limits on coverage for shipping books.  Before, you had to use Registered or Express Mail to have coverage over I believe $2,000 per package -- now, you can have even more coverage than that, for any package with "signature required".  So you can send a $10k package via Priority Mail, and as long as it has signature required, you're covered.  

If you're shipping a lot of books, or even just shipping a box or two to CGC/auction houses each month, the dealer policy is well worth it and will pay for itself in savings not paying USPS to insure your packages.  The peace of mind is of course very nice as well.

As someone in the insurance industry, be sure to double-check your policy before making assumptions on what's covered from a shipping perspective. My policy DOES NOT cover up to $10K packages sent via Priority Mail and only goes up to $2.5K.

19 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

As someone in the insurance industry, be sure to double-check your policy before making assumptions on what's covered from a shipping perspective. My policy DOES NOT cover up to $10K packages sent via Priority Mail and only goes up to $2.5K.

Sorry, I should've been more clear.  The limits will of course vary depending on how big your policy is; in general though, they are changing it (for dealers) to just being _____ amount for non-signature & _____ amount for signature (i.e., there is no differentiation anymore going forward between the various carriers or what type of service you use, just whether it's signature or not -- before it was way more complex with something like ten different levels of coverage depending if it was Ground, Priority, Express, etc.).  

31 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

What’s the benefit of having CSI if yur books are at the bank ( seriously asking ) 

I have books at the bank and CIS knows about them. They list my home , my bank and my storage facility and $ coverage broken down by location. Banks can get robbed, burn down or flood etc... I do agree with you on the why needed at bank , but my most valuable books are there and better safe than sorry I guess.