• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DF to CGC?

8 posts in this topic

Hi there...

i see from the 'ask GCG' section that they dont include the DF COA with any CGC graded books....

i have a few DF authenticated books, alternates & signed issues etc.. that i'd like to get CGC rated but am not really sure if its worth doing if the value is affected by not including the cert with the final CGC copy....

what do you think? Does anyone have any experience or a professional opinion?

TIA,

A ertificate is supplied with a comic to proove its authenticity, you can still supply the cert with the CGC comic after grading? And if it is a DF varient then it will also state this on the CGC label.

But I must say that most DF comics that I have seen grade come back at 7.0 or something stupid like that, I guess they have just been touched too many times by different sources?

But I must say that most DF comics that I have seen grade come back at 7.0 or something stupid like that, I guess they have just been touched too many times by different sources?

Right?! I'll see what happens....the ones i have have never been opened and are still sealed with the DF sticker......hopefully i'm looking at a 9.4 + as i really dont see the point in submitting modern age stuff and getting any less frown.gif

Thanks for your reply....

I would be EXTREMELY careful assuming those DF books are anywhere near mint (sealed or not, especially if you want to grade them for reselling purposes). I have bought lots of DF books in the past few months, and I am happy that I carefully opened some of these books up before trying to sell them...many have corner crimps you can notice if you have sharp eyes, or only if you take the comic out of the bag to inspect it (those crimped corners are probably why people thought they had a 9. something, and really had a 7. something). Also, some, but not all DF books have noticeable spine stress marks that are large/break color. Not to mention, that you probably want to keep the COA, so you can resell it with the book after it is CGCed.

I have had great luck with DF books bought through HSN (I have two signed Batman 608s from their now sold out lucky 21 package that are---after I carefully opened the seal to inspect the comic for possible grading, a rock solid CGC NM+ (9.6) or NM/M (9.8)...real nice books). On the other hand, I think DF had Stan Lee sign some really cruddy condition comics (ones that would grade only a VG in some cases, no joke), and just assumed that the value of the comic has less to do with the condition of the comic, than the fact that Stan's sig is on it.

I love slabbing my moderns, but you really should carefully open up the seal to inspect the books...I do not send anything to CGC that I am not confident will come back with a grade I already have in mind, or better (I am a real strict grader of my own books, and many actually come back with a 9.6, sometimes a 9.8...even books I though would be lucky to get a 9.6...again, I am strict with grading, and assume my books are always slightly below the condition CGC may grade them as, so I am especially excited/please when I get back that elusive 9.8 grade smile.gif )

Regards

Christopher H