• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,941 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, twmjr1 said:

A 0.5 incomplete (and restored to boot) More Fun 55 went for 9k in this week's auction. Insanity reigns.

Yeah, I don't understand the prices that are being paid right now. I don't have much faith in current prices being translated into long-term values—not when I see things like that More Fun 55 sale.

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Yeah, I don't understand the prices that are being paid right now. I don't have much faith in current prices being translated into long-term values—not when I see things like that More Fun 55 sale.

For More Fun Comics and Adventure Comics I'm seeing a very even rise (or rather a correction) in all prices for early superhero issues (Spectre, Doctor Fate, Sandman, and even Hourman covers) across all platforms. These issues rarely ever get listed for sale/auction in presentable lower grades, so for a good chunk of them I honestly think it is the same collectors that have been waiting years for an affordable copy to surface (I know I was, and bid on pretty much every copy that got listed). If it has a super hero cover and is low grade it is safe to assume it is worth at least $600-700 now. I see those prices easily holding and then slowly rising (these are the only two books I've been actively hunting for over the last few years and watching the prices has been interesting)

The MF55 is a wild card since it is a big first appearance, very rare, but also still speculated on due to an upcoming movie - I still don't see why that one went above $4,000 though (the coverless copy I was negotiating for at the same time I was offering between $1,600-$2000 for, but once this 9k price hit the GPA I stopped the offer since the seller would be better off keeping it and listing it for a much high price - even if it would be out of my budget)

Edited by Sauce Dog

23 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Couldn't believe that MF # 55 price - what does that make my 1.5 resto/trimmed copy worth ?

On 7/17/2021 at 4:36 AM, tth2 said:

The preview for the September auction is showing the first Duck book I've seen from the Promise collection.

Well, based upon its current placement within the Promise Collection Preview (i.e. in #6 position), it looks like they are expecting a big result from this book here. hm

No doubt, expectations probably raised to unrealistic levels here due to the stupendous outlier of a sale for your copy of FC 178 at $90K. :applause:

On 7/17/2021 at 4:31 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Here's a copy for anyone interested ...

Have you contacted Fishler to see if he's still trying to corner the market on the Fantastic 3 or has he gotten over that book by now?  :bigsmile:

On 7/17/2021 at 5:31 AM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 7/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, twmjr1 said:

A 0.5 incomplete (and restored to boot) More Fun 55 went for 9k in this week's auction. Insanity reigns.

Like the nosebleed uber single highest graded copies going for astronomical prices, in some cases with expensive key books, it also works the other way with astronomical prices also being paid for super low grade entry level copies due simply to the fact that they are available to the regular collector from a strict pricing point of view.  (thumbsu

It does seem rather strange at times though when you have books like a 'Tec 31 with the classic Batman cover selling into the mid-$30K's and into the mid-$40's for the CGC 1.0 graded entry level copies a few years ago and then a CGC 2.5 only manages to fetched $56K a few months ago.  Or maybe prices have simply dropped on the pre-Robin 'Tec books from their rabid mania of a few years ago with collectors busily chasing after other hot books now?  (shrug)

On 7/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, Sauce Dog said:

The MF55 is a wild card since it is a big first appearance, very rare, but also still speculated on due to an upcoming movie

Definitely a key first appearance for Doctor Fate, although I don't believe there is a standalone movie scheduled for him like what they apparently have in the works for Hourman.  Although I believe Doctor Fate is scheduled for the upcoming Black Adam movie, with the role to be play by Pierce Brosnan of Remington Steele and James Bond fame.  :applause:

Was just going through their Sunday offerings due to close in a few hours from now, and looks like this super HTF GL 30 is right up there:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/green-lantern-30-dc-1948-cgc-fn-60-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122129-15488.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F1%2F24381704%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Already sitting at $4,680 with the BP in there, which makes me wonder where this nicely presenting copy relative to its CGC assigned grade is going to finish up at by the time it's all said and done. :popcorn: :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

14 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Couldn't believe that MF # 55 price - what does that make my 1.5 resto/trimmed copy worth ?

The demand for GA books, especially timely given the weekly results of the promise copies of All Winners will bootstrap all under copies up to a certain extent depending of how close they were to the selling copies.. Great buy for you at the time, even better today looking back..Cong on smart buy. All  Promise sales go into the GPA and other price guides.

Edited by Mmehdy

55 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

The demand for GA books, especially timely given the weekly results of the promise copies of All Winners will bootstrap all under copies up to a certain extent depending of how close they were to the selling copies.. Great buy for you at the time, even better today looking back..Cong on smart buy. All  Promise sales go into the GPA and other price guides.

@MmehdyI promise you that you and me cant afford to buy in this Market since we bought cheap over and over in the 70's/80's :whatthe:

We are stuck with what we have and that's sad :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, woowoo said:

@MmehdyI promise you that you and me cant afford to buy in this Market since we bought cheap over and over in the 70's/80's :whatthe:

There are several books I intend to purchase and not be outbid on. I wish, and mean really wish I could get a hold of the entire Promise collection list to make my purchase priority list...we can't. So we are gonna have to wing it. I agree it is not like the good old days when I bought say 20 SF copies every time I came in to the store. I do not think I will end up with 20 this time, but I think both and me you can pick out a few special ones, that we either have always wanted and nail them. I agree, it not like the good old days.

14 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

There are several books I intend to purchase and not be outbid on. I wish, and mean really wish I could get a hold of the entire Promise collection list to make my purchase priority list...we can't. So we are gonna have to wing it. I agree it is not like the good old days when I bought say 20 SF copies every time I came in to the store. I do not think I will end up with 20 this time, but I think both and me you can pick out a few special ones, that we either have always wanted and nail them. I agree, it not like the good old days.

:takeit:I want this but at todays Market think its not going to happen. I have come to understand the life i have left is not going to be as long as the life I lived 

Marvel Comics #1 (Timely, 1939) CGC Apparent GD 2.0 Moderate | LotID #65001 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

On 7/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, bpc3qh said:

I'm predicting it to finish between 2.5 and 3 million.

Yeah I'm right around there to. That Torpedo Comics 9.4 copy sold for $800K middle of last year. The book has definitely gone up since then, but I think a 9.6 likely would have done somewhere just shy of $2 mil at the time. With how much the book has inflated in price since then across the board, I think an additional $750K-1 mil or so makes sense. With that being said, if it did go for 4 or 5 mil, or some insane number, I'm not going to be surprised lol.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:05 AM, woowoo said:

I didn't do any buying in the 70s, but I've been priced out of many books that I could have afforded easily even 8 or 9 years ago. I've never cared about first appearances, but I've even been priced out of non-key books like Tec 31 and Cap 3. I passed on mid-grade copies of those books many times waiting for the right copy to come along; now I wouldn't even be able to afford a mid-grade copy of either book.