• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,952 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The three Batman Promise books went for around 30% less than they just sold for only 6 months ago.  Ouch.

How in the world can this be, especially since I believe @Mmehdy has been on these boards ever since the Promise Collection was first unveiled on these boards a year ago that if we didn't pick up these books from Heritage on the first go round when we had the chance, the prices would definitely sky rocket so much higher after that.  :bigsmile:  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/12/2022 at 11:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, without having the book in hand or even bothering to take a closer zoom in look at both of these copies here, I would have to say from this distanced front cover view, it would appeared that the Metro/CC copy presents much nicer than the Heritage copy even though both of them are sporting the same equivalent CGC 7.0 grade.  hm  (shrug)

Well, the CC copy did have the QES sticker :jokealert: . .and you are right. The CC copy did have better eye appeal. Still, the crypto guys have been buying the number instead of the book, and I’m tempted to think with their market in the dirt, they just weren’t in the mood to answer the bell this time

On 5/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The three Batman Promise books went for around 30% less than they just sold for only 6 months ago.  Ouch.

On 5/12/2022 at 6:29 PM, skypinkblu said:

I never look at the stock market except on here...but it seems to be a concern. I guess I have to watch auctions more carefully for a bit.

Well, a 30% drop in some comic books is just a tiny boo boo and pretty much slow motion dullsville in comparison to the stock market where some of the stocks jumped up by around 30% or more just in one day today.  zzz

Then again, if you consider the fact that some of these same so-called growth stocks were bludgeoned by 90% from their recent highs during the past 6 months, I guess a 30% uptick in one day means they are now down by only a mere 87% for the past 6 months.  Now, that's what I call being taken out to the woodshed in the back and having the living daylights beaten out of them.  OUCH, OUCh, OUch, Ouch, ouch............:fear::tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

On 5/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, lou_fine said:

How in the world can this be, especially since I believe @Mmehdy has been on these boards ever since the Promise Collection was first unveiled on these boards a year ago that if we didn't pick up these books from Heritage on the first go round when we had the chance, the prices would definitely sky rocket so much higher after that.  :bigsmile:  :tonofbricks:

I like to give @Mmehdygrief as much as the next guy(not really, Mitch), but I think there’s other things in play here. I think the crypto guys were responsible for the craziness we saw in the Promise Collection hammer prices, and they are in hiding at this particular moment, and their absence was felt tonight. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:34 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think the crypto guys were responsible for the craziness we saw in the Promise Collection hammer prices, and they are in hiding at this particular moment, and their absence was felt tonight. 

Especially if you also toss in these two words here.......................Margin Call  :fear::cry:

I was watching some of the CNBC talking heads on TV and boy, some of them seem to be visibly upset and almost sweating bullets the past few days.  Although Cramer often says a stock can only go down and stop at zero, it can actually go below zero for a speculator if it was brought on margin.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

So much better for the longer term comic book collectors who are probably much more diversified and their equity investments are not the be all and end all of their retirement funding plans.  (thumbsu

On 5/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, szav said:

Jack in the box Batman isn’t exactly the most classic cover and neither were the other two.  Nor were they rare, rare in grade, or highest graded.  

And yet, this doesn't explain why much bigger money were paid on these Promise Collection books on their first go round a few months ago.  hm

On 5/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, szav said:

I’ll be more interested to see how well the esoteric and actually hard to find in  any decent grade Promise books hold up over time.

Well, from many of the no name titles from the Promise Collection I saw going for rather insane huge dollars, are they actually hard to find in decent grade or previously perceived to have no real demand and relatively low dollar value that they were not worth slabbing in the first place until Heritage (and Mitch of course lol) came along to hype the heck out of this collection?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, skypinkblu said:

I never look at the stock market except on here...but it seems to be a concern. I guess I have to watch auctions more carefully for a bit.

+1 ... sort of...

Reading this thread, one would think it’s on a commodities or day-trader forum. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:09 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Next HA auction

when was the last time you saw a high grade copy made available :whatthe:

26081057%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Wow.  This is a big dog and should bring big dog prices. CGC can’t locate the book, at the moment anyway. I’m curious to see when it was graded

C5C92E6F-2E01-4F56-B404-93EF9B126D2D.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 5/13/2022 at 5:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wow.  This is a big dog and should bring big dog prices. CGC can’t locate the book, at the moment anyway. I’m curious to see when it was graded

On 5/13/2022 at 5:24 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Guessing 250K easy, likely graded in the last couple weeks (to not yet show up in the CGC database)

Just took a look now and it's in the system as being graded on April 29th of this year.  :gossip:

Graded at the same time as copies of Detectives 71, 69, 62 with the Joker covers and stories along with a copy of 'Tec 40.  (thumbsu

On 5/13/2022 at 5:09 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Next HA auction

when was the last time you saw a high grade copy made available :whatthe:

26081057%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Peter you should stop fooling around with the girlie weights....:bigsmile:1406171605231.jpg