• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,079 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2024 at 6:59 PM, CentaurMan said:

It’s all right, I’ve got 50 more books in tomorrow’s session 👍 

:takeit:

On 6/21/2024 at 6:36 AM, CentaurMan said:

On the flip side, I had bought that Mile High National 7 during the financial crisis for around $8k, and was hoping it would go for $30-35k.  $65k floored me.  

Congrats on picking up the National 7 at a great price when everyone else (including myself) was running away from it, and congrats on a great sale! :applause:

On 6/22/2024 at 2:42 AM, Telegan said:

image.thumb.png.7f377949e85895b23dddda84a2699b78.png

image.thumb.png.52a45a6c287e2e884f93ff936972d165.png

image.thumb.png.08304f8ab7abd2f1c98541af4fa0d2b1.png

image.thumb.png.d748a4e6c7ffaab30683c662218f8067.png

To the extent that prices of a number of comic sales disappointed, the same wouldn't have been true in the OA sales.  Strong numbers across the board, including for the headliners that you've helpfully posted above.

On 6/22/2024 at 3:39 AM, tth2 said:

No one's even mentioned the biggest surprise of the comic part of the auction, which has to be the 7.0 Whiz #2 going for only $288k.  I believe that means it really didn't move very much during live bidding and actually not very much since the first couple of days after internet bidding opened. 

Even disregarding MM's predictions, which like the Soviet judge's scores in figure skating competitions back in the day always have to be thrown out, this seemed incredibly low.  I would guess the consignor is not a happy camper.  But the winner got the steal of the auction.   

MM's seal of approval is like the touch of death for just about any asset and that's a promise

On 6/22/2024 at 12:39 AM, tth2 said:

No one's even mentioned the biggest surprise of the comic part of the auction, which has to be the 7.0 Whiz #2 going for only $288k.  I believe that means it really didn't move very much during live bidding and actually not very much since the first couple of days after internet bidding opened. 

Even disregarding MM's predictions, which like the Soviet judge's scores in figure skating competitions back in the day always have to be thrown out, this seemed incredibly low.  I would guess the consignor is not a happy camper.  But the winner got the steal of the auction.   

Yeah I remember the million dollar evaluation. I honestly thought it would at least sell for $400K-$500K. I was watching it and it didn’t get a single live auction bid.

On 6/22/2024 at 8:07 AM, Funnybooks said:

MM's seal of approval is like the touch of death for just about any asset and that's a promise

I wouldn’t be so sure. Ever since that Bronze Age article MM has been the David Cassidy of the comic world, regardless of what Zurzolo says. You watch, another 70 or 80 years and he’ll be getting the last laugh. 

On 6/22/2024 at 12:31 PM, ThothAmon said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Ever since that Bronze Age article MM has been the David Cassidy of the comic world, regardless of what Zurzolo says. You watch, another 70 or 80 years and he’ll be getting the last laugh. 

broken clock? are we still talking about mr pink? lol

On 6/23/2024 at 11:08 PM, skypinkblu said:

I've discovered after watching this auction, that if I had a copy that was similar to what was being sold, the price went down...but if I was bidding...the price went up.

I had what I thought was a strong bid on the Sensation 26 and not only was I outbid, it was about  20% higher than the same grade that sold a few months ago.

I discovered that long ago. Story of my life really. Take the Tec 36 restored 6.0 C-3 a few days ago. Went for around 5,600 which I think is cheap, I guess the fact that it was trimmed didn't help. I have the same book in a 6.0 A-3 not trimmed copy and I can't help but think that weak sale hurt the "value" of my copy. But what you said, that's how it works it seems. But once in a while things do work out. 

Edited by Professor K
Dancing Van Damme gif removed.