• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EsquireComics Belated SD Comic-Con and Panel Discussion Report

21 posts in this topic

I had hoped to have this posted sooner but following my exit from San Diego I went to Salt Lake City for a couple of days to visit a client who served as an Agent for the U.S. Secret Service from 1959-1981. In particular, he served on the Presidential Protective Detail for President John F. Kennedy. I represented him and another JFK Agent, who in fact had been with the president in Dallas that fateful day, a few years ago in the aftermath of Sy Hersh's book The Dark Side of Camelot and the Monica Lewinsky debacle where the Secret Service tried to claim a legal privilege existed precluding their agents/officers' testimony to the Independent Counsel's Office.

Then I got caught up as always with regular work including the final challenge to the FBI/Secret Service's polygraph program and the DoD anthrax vaccination program. Briefs were due in both cases this week but fortunately the government asked for a delay in the polygraph case so I have a quick window of time to post my report. As several others have already posted reports and they overlap with my experiences, I will keep this short and as virginized as possible.

As most of you know, I brought probably about 50 books (almost entirely Golden Age) to the SD Comic-Con and these were on display at Southern California Comics' booth. The guys who run SOCAL are fantastic and I encourage everyone to engage them with business. The two proprietors, Jamie and Gino, are two of the nicest guys you will ever meet. They are especially ethical and will act above board with you. My gratitude to our own FUELMAN for setting up the introductions.

Sales-wise I didn't as well as I had hoped. That is the problem with such high-priced books I guess. No matter, I made some great trades and outright pick-ups, particularly on ashcans and anti-communism books for my personal collection. Most of those have already been posted in the Golden Age section or can be viewed on my website so I won't repost them here. The only book that I picked up that will be available for sale is a CGC 4.5 copy of Silver Streak #6, which is the first GA Daredevil. Rocking pyscho cover. Goes well with the CGC 8.5 copy of Daredevil Battles Hitler #1 that I have and perhaps I will offer them as a pair.

This was my first SD Comic-Con and it was overwhelming to say the least. As many have said, comics actually play a very small role in this show now. In addition to comics I frequented the animation art booths as I actively collect legal scenes (I know, what a shocker that is!). The costumes folks were wearing were unbelievable. I can't imagine how much money some of these people spent, although at times I wasn't really clear if what they were wearing was actually a costume. While I had a fantastic time making connections and talking to dealers/collectors, as far as my acquisitions go it was the same dealers I always deal with. I am turning into a groupie for a copy of them apparently.

In addition to my own panel, which is discussed below, I only had the time to attend one other panel, and that was the one on Battlestar Galactica, of which I am a big fan. Several of the cast appeared as well as two of the producers/creators. More importantly, to those who think only geeks and losers attend these things, you should have seen what had to be one of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen sit by herself in front of me. hail.gif After that I lost track of what was being said on the panel. insane.gif

I spent most of the Comic-Con going to lunches and dinners and having drinks with Steve Borock, Rob Hughes, George Pantela and Mark Wilson, as well as numerous forumites. Way too much drinking. I suffered for at least a week recovering.tonofbricks.gif My socializing with many of the great guys has already been discussed in other threads so I won't repeat it here except to say I really enjoyed meeting you all, especially at the Forum Dinner.

With respect to the panel discussion I coordinated, it went exactly as I promised it would (so 893naughty-thumb.gif to all you cynics who had nothing better to do than criticize what you had no clue about), and I thought it turned out very well. As a reminder the panelists were myself, Jon Berk (collector), Maggie Thompson (CBG Editor), Mark Wilson (PGCMint), Tom Gordon (Gemstone) and Daniel Patterson (PGX). I would estimate about 50 people attended and audience participation was high. We could have easily focused entirely on the topics of restoration and/or pressing, and no doubt I will arrange for panels simply on those topics in the future, but this first panel was to have a broader range and that it did. The questions that were sent out to the panelists in advance of the event were exactly as follows (and most of them were asked/discussed/covered during the course of 90 minutes):

Q. How has the comic book collecting and investment hobby/market changed in the last two decades? How have your own views changed over the years? What is so compelling about comic books that continue to bring in young people that other collectible hobbies seem to lack? What do you envision for the future of our hobby?

Q. What changes, if any, have to be made to the standards within our hobby such as grading? How reliable nowadays is the Overstreet Price Guide on the true market? What role does it play? Has that role changed?

Q. What impact has the introduction of independent grading services such as CGC and PGX brought to the comic book community? What roles do such companies play within our community? Has it engendered greater trust? To what extent do they serve the interests of the community or merely act as profitable business models? Or can they be both? [We can also discuss how detailed should the grading labels be, how new pedigrees are designated, what evidence is necessary to determine a pedigree has been submitted, how to minimize resubmissions or grading variances, what standards should be followed and should those standards be disclosed?]

Q. Does restoration deserve the stigma that has clearly attached? Why is it that restoration is viewed so different for comics versus other collectibles? Is there be a distinction between restoration and conservation? Should restored Golden Age books be viewed differently than Silver Age books? What do you foresee as the future market for restored comics?

Q. Several years ago an organization called the American Association of Comic Book Collectors was created, and it attempted to promote ethical standards for the community. With the introduction of e-bay, and better restoration detection techniques, as just two examples, the term caveat emptor is very much alive and well for comic book buyers. What ethical standards exist within our buying/selling community, and where could we be stronger? What can be done to protect buyers more?

Q. Do you consider pressing to be a form of restoration? To what extent can pressing be detected? Regardless of whether pressing is considered restoration, should it be disclosed to potential buyers? What is your opinion of CGC's parent company starting a pressing service down the hallway from those who will be grading the same books?

I actually think it worked out well that Steve B bowed out of the panel and Daniel Patterson took his place. Not many people have seen or heard Daniel, and in fact he noted that it was the first time he really ever appeared for public speaking. His comments were interesting and it was nice to see him make a public presence.

Both myself and Jon Berk audiotaped the panel but quite honestly I have not yet listened to the tapes to see how they came out. I know I messed up and neglected to turn the tape over and definitely missed probably at least 15 minutes. However, Jon said he believes he covered the entire panel. I know the few seconds I listened to on my tape came out clear, but that was me talking only and obviously the tape recorder was right in front of me. Hopefully the Q & As from the audience are discernable for transcription. Also, if the tapes come out clear enough the recording will probably be made available online through RealPlayer. I'll keep everyone posted.

Substantively the discussion was good. Obviously the electricity surrounded the last two controversial topics. I was pleased to see that although there were certainly a variety of different opinions on both restoration and pressing, the vast majority of those in attendance believed that pressing should be disclosed by a seller if known, regardless of the characterization of what it might or might not be, and then let the marketplace decide how it feels about the price.

I welcome any additional comments/suggestions/constructive criticism regarding the panel, its members or the content. I do hope to hold similar panels at other conventions.popcorn.gif

I am also pleased to state that I understand that sometime in the near future there will be changes by CGC with respect to its restoration stance and how it deals with restored books. I don't believe all the details have been worked out yet so I will refrain from commenting on this aspect further until more is known, but I think many will applaud the new policies.

In closing, I found the SD Comic-Con to be a fantastic success and I look forward to attending next years. I also look forward to helping arrange the forum dinner for the Baltimore Con in September so keep an eye out for that upcoming thread.

Great report Mark. It was nice meeting you and chatting at the Forum dinner. It would be great if you hosted more panels in San Diego in the future. Maybe even a series of three or so, for example one on restoration, one on third-party grading and one on the market for GA,SA and BA books and how the values are trending, etc. Some kind of series that all relate.

Geez, I'd surely like to attend the Baltimore con, but so close to Chicago and so far east.

I wonder if the chick in front of you was the girlfriend of wife of one of the cast members or producers on that Battlestar Gallactica panel you attended? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'd have lost my train of thought too. headbang.gifheadbang.gif

Oh, and did you find a copy of that book you had mentioned previously that stated how you were bad for America? I'd be curious to hear about that.

------Sid

Great report Mark. It was nice meeting you and chatting at the Forum dinner. It would be great if you hosted more panels in San Diego in the future. Maybe even a series of three or so, for example one on restoration, one on third-party grading and one on the market for GA,SA and BA books and how the values are trending, etc. Some kind of series that all relate.

Sid, I very much enjoyed our conversation at the Con and in particulary the dinner. I'd be more than willing to coordinate several panels next year at San Diego and will suggest that to the organizers.

I wonder if the chick in front of you was the girlfriend of wife of one of the cast members or producers on that Battlestar Gallactica panel you attended? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'd have lost my train of thought too. headbang.gifheadbang.gif

Could certainly have been! "Boomer" was quite distracting as well, even from a distance.

Oh, and did you find a copy of that book you had mentioned previously that stated how you were bad for America? I'd be curious to hear about that.

Not yet. I need to go to the bookstore and find out why I'm in the book. I was hoping someone on the threads reads these political books but no one ever responded! frown.gif

I am also pleased to state that I understand that sometime in the near future there will be changes by CGC with respect to its restoration stance and how it deals with restored books. I don't believe all the details have been worked out yet so I will refrain from commenting on this aspect further until more is known, but I think many will applaud the new policies.

Well, that is certainly intriguing.

Great job overall Mark. Look forward to hearing more about the actual discussion and answers given by the panelists.

So are they trying to sue Hersh poke2.gif

No, they had no problem with Hersh's reporting. They voluntarily spoke to him. The Secret Service used their "revelations", all of which were known but never confirmed on the record by former Agents, as a means by which to intimidate then current Agents/Officers. A memo was issued saying how disgraceful and dishonorable it was for the agents to have talked about their protectees. It became very clear as the Lewinsky saga unfolded over the weeks and months subsequent to that memo that its' issuance was simply a message to everyone to keep quiet about Pres Clinton's exploits.

I attempted to obtain an apology from the Secret Service and its retiree association. My clients and I appeared on a number of tv programs, such as MSNBC and CNN, at the time disputing the existence of the Protective Function Privilege asserted by the Secret Service and the Clinton White House. Every court agreed with us. acclaim.gif

My clients and I appeared on a number of tv programs, such as MSNBC and CNN, at the time disputing the existence of the Protective Function Privilege asserted by the Secret Service and the Clinton White House. Every court agreed with us. acclaim.gif

Not to take this thread off topic, but if the courts agree that there is no privilege, than Congress should pass a law creating such a privilege. There is not a doubt in my mind that conversations that occur in front of or with Secret Service while they're on duty should not be discloseable. Otherwise there will be a chilling effect on their ability to be omnipresent.

So,a quick trip to SLC and suddenly the whole trip to Cali becomes a business expense/writeoff.

Have I ever told you you're my hero?

BTW- discussions overheard by a Federal security detail should absolutely be privledged,or else you are asking for some serious problems.

My clients and I appeared on a number of tv programs, such as MSNBC and CNN, at the time disputing the existence of the Protective Function Privilege asserted by the Secret Service and the Clinton White House. Every court agreed with us. acclaim.gif

Not to take this thread off topic, but if the courts agree that there is no privilege, than Congress should pass a law creating such a privilege. There is not a doubt in my mind that conversations that occur in front of or with Secret Service while they're on duty should not be discloseable. Otherwise there will be a chilling effect on their ability to be omnipresent.

To include boinking the intern? Tim, what pray tell are you actually up to in Hong Kong! poke2.gif

Secret Service Agents are law enforcement personnel, plain and simple. If they see a crime, they are duty bound to report and act on it, regardless if it is a petty criminal or the President of the United States. Sure they can turn the other way if they wish, many law enforcement personnel across the country do all the time for a variety of reasons. However, if called before a grand jury, which is what Ken Starr was authorized to convene, there is, nor should there be, a privilege to protect criminal activity.

Now, quite frankly, I don't think Pres Clinton committed any criminal act that the Secret Service was aware of. Unlike in neighboring Virginia, oral pleasure remains lawful in DC. And for good reason, Congress works here! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I can tell you that my clients who were former Agents for JFK hated the fact that they were watching him swim naked with two WH staffers and had to be on the lookout for Jackie, or when Kenny O'Donnell would bring him young women and they were not even allowed to check to see whether the woman presented a threat to the president. As they told me, what if she stabbed the President with a pen or a letter opener, or did something during their pleasure meeting? What response could they take?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Define "near future"? They said magazine slabs were on the horizon "in the near future" and it took over 2 years... frustrated.gif

Jim

Unlike in neighboring Virginia , oral pleasure remains lawful in DC.

893whatthe.gif

Great report. Does the lovely Mrs. Esquirecomics know about the panel girl? devil.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Define "near future"? They said magazine slabs were on the horizon "in the near future" and it took over 2 years... frustrated.gif

Good question. I presume the next few months. I'll continue to check and report back.

Unlike in neighboring Virginia , oral pleasure remains lawful in DC.

893whatthe.gif

Great report. Does the lovely Mrs. Esquirecomics know about the panel girl? devil.gif

I didn't touch! makepoint.gif

I was checking her out for my single brother. headbang.gif

Keeping politics out my my reply, I could not agree more with that. The privilege would have to stop at the commision of a crime, though. And if the commission of a crime is in doubt, the information would have to be revealed in from of a judge or grand jury, sealed proceedings of course.

Both myself and Jon Berk audiotaped the panel but quite honestly I have not yet listened to the tapes to see how they came out. I know I messed up and neglected to turn the tape over and definitely missed probably at least 15 minutes. However, Jon said he believes he covered the entire panel. I know the few seconds I listened to on my tape came out clear, but that was me talking only and obviously the tape recorder was right in front of me. Hopefully the Q & As from the audience are discernable for transcription. Also, if the tapes come out clear enough the recording will probably be made available online through RealPlayer. I'll keep everyone posted.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Not yet. I need to go to the bookstore and find out why I'm in the book. I was hoping someone on the threads reads these political books but no one ever responded!

I was at the bookstore today and quickly scanned through the book. You weren't on the list and I didn't see your name mentioned.

I was at the bookstore today and quickly scanned through the book. You weren't on the list and I didn't see your name mentioned.

Thanks for checking PJ. Did you actually check the index? I am not one of the 100 causing America's downfall. One of my clients said they saw my name mentioned somewhere around page 125 in support of some premise offered in the book.

I don't know how I missed it yesterday, but I found it today. Your name appears on page 126, in the "Oliver Stone" section. Care to guess why?

Hint: JFK

Hmm, thats a tough one! confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

Let me guess, Goldberg cited to the college course lecture I gave in 1993 regarding all the inaccuracies in Stone's film. Am I close? gossip.gif

Thanks Peter!