• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY IS DITKO SUCH A FRICKIN FREAK ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ?

69 posts in this topic

hi Jimbo!

Yes, I have a copy of the TPB of Avenging World (and other stuff) that was put out by Robin Snyder and Steve Ditko in 2002. It's phenomenal stuff.

Not only does it contain a number of Ditko's philosophical and political vents, it also has some text columns by Steve espousing his views on everything from "Who Owns Original Art" to "Jack Kirby's Spider-Man" wherein he tells his version of the creation of Spider-Man at Marvel Comics (in response to interviews of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in which each has taken some of the credit for creating Spider-Man. Great stuff if you are a fan of comics history and the many debates and controversy over who created what.

My scanner is currently on the kibosh, but I'll also try to scan some pages when I get it hooked back up.

The thing people have to realize about Ditko is that he's much more than just a for-hire comic book artist. Whether you agree with him or not, it's clear there's a heckuva lot more to the guy than him just being the guy who co-created and drew Spider-Man and other comic book characters. His indie stuff gives a boatload of insight into his philosophies. It's fascinating stuff.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I remember when I first met my girlfriend,I told her that I collected comics and she told me how she worked at B&R Comics in St. Louis for 5 years.She told me about buying the Ditko Dr. Strange run at a Chicago con for $150. 893whatthe.gifAll VF or better.To say I was intrigued is an understatement(WHO CARES IF THEY CAN COOK,WILL THEY TOLERATE FUNNY BOOKS??).She also collects tie dye T-shirts and is a very laid back girl.We don't always agree politically but I never presumed to live in a world that embraced my every whim.Hell,deep down inside we're all probably trying to fill the same empty hole in many multi-faceted ways.I have friends of every faith and culture( except vodoo cannibals,I try to avoid them).It's kinda hazy from the years,but I think Avenging World was my first exposure to abstract philosophy and it made a deep impression on the way I viewed the struggles of existence.It was there and in the pages of many other comics that I began to realize that I could have my OWN opinion.Ditko will always be my favorite Spidey artist,no one else has ever captured that quirky,flawed aspect of everyday man(and woman)the way he did.While everyone else was doing "heroic" Ditko was honing the edge of "funky".I'll never forget that panel in ASM #26 where Parker resigns himself to the fact that he's going to have to sew a new spidey-costume from scratch.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Ditko will always be my favorite Spidey artist,no one else has ever captured that quirky,flawed aspect of everyday man(and woman)the way he did.While everyone else was doing "heroic" Ditko was honing the edge of "funky".I'll never forget that panel in ASM #26 where Parker resigns himself to the fact that he's going to have to sew a new spidey-costume from scratch.GOD BLESS...

Hallelujah, brother, hallelujah 893applaud-thumb.gif

Interestingly, I used to own the original art for the page I think you might be referring to - but it was page 18 from # 27.

Romita who? confused-smiley-013.gif

Mr. Trent (a friend of Consuelo Biros)

OOOOPS.....You're right about the issue # being 27.I suppose it's true what they say about brain cells being unable to regenerate.Maybe I could talk namisgr into giving me a tune up someday.I know I would've had a hard time parting with that page.Ditko originals are so nice,particularly the stuff were he inks his own pencils.I remember a NYC show I was at in the early 80's.I had gone up there to show my portfolio and found myself with some time to walk around the dealers room.There was a fellow who had a table with early marvel silver age art scattered across the table.Dozens of pages,mainly Ditko and Kirby.The one page that always stuck in my hollow cavernous mind was the unmasking page from # 12. 893whatthe.gifI remember being overwhelmed by the clean lines and sheer size of that art.The guy was asking $100 for any page on the table.Unfortunately,I had about $40 to eat on and buy a couple of back issues for the next day flamed.gif.I have a good friend who had the foresight to buy OA back in those days.He owns 3 complete Ditko Hulk stories and a couple of the fantasy yarns.He has one of those cool ditko haunted house stories,inked bt Ditko.EXQUISITE.I would love to have a pre-hero page from Ditko or Kirby as a silver age superhero page would be far too costly at this point.That Fin-Fang-Foom page in the latest Heritage auction would be a real nice one from Kirby.GOD BLESS...

OOOOPS.....You're right about the issue # being 27.I suppose it's true what they say about brain cells being unable to regenerate.Maybe I could talk namisgr into giving me a tune up someday.I know I would've had a hard time parting with that page.Ditko originals are so nice,particularly the stuff were he inks his own pencils.I remember a NYC show I was at in the early 80's.I had gone up there to show my portfolio and found myself with some time to walk around the dealers room.There was a fellow who had a table with early marvel silver age art scattered across the table.Dozens of pages,mainly Ditko and Kirby.The one page that always stuck in my hollow cavernous mind was the unmasking page from # 12. 893whatthe.gifI remember being overwhelmed by the clean lines and sheer size of that art.The guy was asking $100 for any page on the table.Unfortunately,I had about $40 to eat on and buy a couple of back issues for the next day flamed.gif.I have a good friend who had the foresight to buy OA back in those days.He owns 3 complete Ditko Hulk stories and a couple of the fantasy yarns.He has one of those cool ditko haunted house stories,inked bt Ditko.EXQUISITE.I would love to have a pre-hero page from Ditko or Kirby as a silver age superhero page would be far too costly at this point.That Fin-Fang-Foom page in the latest Heritage auction would be a real nice one from Kirby.GOD BLESS...

It was tough having to part with that Ditko ASM page (which also featured an early appearance of Norman Osborne - possibly the first), but it was traded against something more important to me. Same thing happened with another Ditko ASM page I had!

Anyways, I'm very fortunate to possess two Ditko Superhero covers from 1966 - so who am I to complain? They have been uploaded elsewhere, but in case you missed them - especially for you . . .

hty5n5.jpg

hty97r.jpg

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

.He has one of those cool ditko haunted house stories,inked bt Ditko.EXQUISITE.I would love to have a pre-hero page from Ditko or Kirby as a silver age superhero page would be far too costly at this point.

I know whatcha mean, Jimbo, here is my current one-and-only Ditko page: a classic Ditko haunted house. I would like to have more like it.

Ditkosplash.jpg

.He has one of those cool ditko haunted house stories,inked bt Ditko.EXQUISITE.I would love to have a pre-hero page from Ditko or Kirby as a silver age superhero page would be far too costly at this point.

I know whatcha mean, Jimbo, here is my current one-and-only Ditko page: a classic Ditko haunted house. I would like to have more like it.

Ditkosplash.jpg

Outstanding splash, but you need to have it matted (to eliminate the whiteout area surrounding the title) and framed. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

You guys are so cool to take the time to share these masterpieces with those of us less fortunate cloud9.gif.It's people like you that have kept me interested in this field for 40 years now.GOD BLESS...

Outstanding splash, but you need to have it matted (to eliminate the whiteout area surrounding the title) and framed. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Not to worry. It now IS framed and hanging on the wall in my house. I'll take a picture of it framed. Looks much nicer than the "sittin by the futon" shot.... 27_laughing.gif