• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY IS DITKO SUCH A FRICKIN FREAK ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ?

69 posts in this topic

it.s clearly the guys is nuts. i think every one knows that steve always was one beer short of a six pack. so the letter does not suprise me one bit. it just the way the guy is. but he is still a great artist. so i gotta give the guy props. larry

That is just how Ditko is he hasn't been to a convention since new york 1964. that is 40+ years. His work is great and legendary but he is not a people person no autographs, no commissons, no shows that is it. If I could get him to do a show I would take out a loan to get him here but he is a strange one.

Why is Ditko such a freak?

Not least of all because in this Sell-Out-To-The-Max society we live in, he is a genuine anomaly. We're so used to the practice of taking every personal experience, every bit of intimacy and putting a price tag on it, and packaging it, and telling Diane Sawyer about it and licensing it and promoting it. He doesn't have a weblog or his own breakfast cereal or his own reality show. He hasn't appeared on the special features edition of 87 dvds. (I mean, ya gotta believe that Stan the Man is pretty sick of talking about the origins of Marvel - I suspect he's shilling for the great-grandkids tuition at this point.)

Ditko has a personal philosophy about life and art and society. He's got some gripes.....make that a lot of gripes, and he doesn't feel it's necessary to make you or I understand what it's all about. He's apparently a pretty private guy. He's an official Outsider.

I say accept him for what he is and enjoy the art he's given us. I kind of admire the fact that he's a crank who hasn't whored himself out to the max. I'm thankful for the art he has made available to us over the years.

That's why he might seem so damn strange. He's not Paris Hilton or John Byrne or Jessica Lynch or Vanilla Ice or any of the pseudo-personalites that plague our lives and distract us from more important krap.

Long Live Steve Ditko! yay.gif

When I tried to contact Ditko to get him to do a newspaper drawing for me a couple of years ago, I got in touch with his agent and he sent my request over to Ditko. I was told that I could use any art from the Ditko Packages and I asked if I could buy the Charlton Ditko Package. I sent them $13 and waited. A couple weeks later, I received a package in the mail that included a Bud Plant catalog, a cut up envelope addressed to Ditko from Marvel Comics, a workplace health plan brochure and half a copy of Robin Snyder's The Comics newsletter.

It had to be the weirdest package I've ever received.

I called Ditko's house several times and got an answering machine. Someone called me to tell me that whomever it was I was calling was not comic artist Steve Ditko, even though I'd been given the number by a comic insider.

Yup...the guy is a ... mad.gif

Oh, come on, Krazykat's not so bad once you get to know him. smirk.gif

To bad you are still a self-righteous, pseudo-intellectual, pompous, wanna be Market tongue.gifWall Street guru.

Q: WHY IS DITKO SUCH A FRICKIN FREAK?

A: Have you never read Mister A? 27_laughing.gif

"Mr A was the venue through which Steve Ditko expounded his views on life, society and politics. Ditko's philosophy was a form of right-wing absolutism, or, as Mr A says 'A is A. A thing is what it is. No man can have it both ways. Only through black and white principles can man distinguish between good and evil.'"

Just cause he can draw doesn't give him the right to be a ...I hate it when people allow dickheads to carry on the way they do just because they have achieved some sort of greatness...

There are tons of great artists out there that have high values and don't behave like self-rightous sons-of-female dogs...

Note to Steve Ditko: Wow...you can really draw...but go to heII... makepoint.gif

Why is Ditko such a freak?

Not least of all because in this Sell-Out-To-The-Max society we live in, he is a genuine anomaly. We're so used to the practice of taking every personal experience, every bit of intimacy and putting a price tag on it, and packaging it, and telling Diane Sawyer about it and licensing it and promoting it. He doesn't have a weblog or his own breakfast cereal or his own reality show. He hasn't appeared on the special features edition of 87 dvds. (I mean, ya gotta believe that Stan the Man is pretty sick of talking about the origins of Marvel - I suspect he's shilling for the great-grandkids tuition at this point.)

Ditko has a personal philosophy about life and art and society. He's got some gripes.....make that a lot of gripes, and he doesn't feel it's necessary to make you or I understand what it's all about. He's apparently a pretty private guy. He's an official Outsider.

I say accept him for what he is and enjoy the art he's given us. I kind of admire the fact that he's a crank who hasn't whored himself out to the max. I'm thankful for the art he has made available to us over the years.

That's why he might seem so damn strange. He's not Paris Hilton or John Byrne or Jessica Lynch or Vanilla Ice or any of the pseudo-personalites that plague our lives and distract us from more important krap.

Long Live Steve Ditko! yay.gif

headbang.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

To bad you are still a self-righteous, pseudo-intellectual, pompous, wanna be Market tongue.gifWall Street guru.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You forgot to mention my good looks and impeccable taste. tongue.gif

Just cause he can draw doesn't give him the right to be a ...I hate it when people allow dickheads to carry on the way they do just because they have achieved some sort of greatness...

There are tons of great artists out there that have high values and don't behave like self-rightous sons-of-female dogs...

Note to Steve Ditko: Wow...you can really draw...but go to heII... makepoint.gif

But what has he really done to deserve your contempt?

He doesn't do shows, draw commissions, or anything else he doesn't want to do. He doesn't make a big stink about it and doesn't search down the media to tell his side of things. He's content to stay out of the public view and doesn't interact with fans.

Last I checked he isn't harming anyone with his behavior. And would simply be labeled a loner in circles outside fandom...

It's the fanboys who think his attitude is weird because they can't get the satisfaction of his catering to them either by appearances or some other avenue. He doesn't owe the fans anything in reality and being annoyed at him for it speaks more to the extreme idol worship of some fans than Ditko himself...

Jim

He doesn't do shows, draw commissions, or anything else he doesn't want to do. He doesn't make a big stink about it and doesn't search down the media to tell his side of things. He's content to stay out of the public view and doesn't interact with fans.

Last I checked he isn't harming anyone with his behavior. And would simply be labeled a loner in circles outside fandom...

It's the fanboys who think his attitude is weird because they can't get the satisfaction of his catering to them either by appearances or some other avenue. He doesn't owe the fans anything in reality and being annoyed at him for it speaks more to the extreme idol worship of some fans than Ditko himself...

Jim

headbang.gif

Contempt is too strong a word...I would use dislike to describe how I feel about him...to me he comes off as self-rightous and pompous...qualities I very much dislike in a person...

He can be as much a recluse as he wants to be...he just doesn't have to be so blatently arrogant...

JMO and I'm stickin' to it... tongue.gif

He doesn't owe the fans anything in reality and being annoyed at him for it speaks more to the extreme idol worship of some fans than Ditko himself...

Excusing his behaviour and touting his abilities above all else also seems to be a form of "extreme idol worship"... makepoint.gif

I would call into question the morals of Charlie Roberts before questioning Steve's attitude. Judging by this auction I'd have to say it looks like Steve is right on the money not wanting to meet Roberts.

I would call into question the morals of Charlie Roberts before questioning Steve's attitude. Judging by this auction I'd have to say it looks like Steve is right on the money not wanting to meet Roberts.

Everyone takes it that Steve is being mean in the letter. It was nice of Ditko to even write him a letter. I don't think Ditko means anything harsh by his comments. From the commentaries I've read of his he seems to be a very frank person who tells it the way he sees it.

Ditko, as has been written in numerous stories about him, has cut himself off from many people, but, all of the artists I've spoken with who have worked with Ditko say he's a very nice guy, just very opinionated.

I know I've enjoyed his work since I was a child. I wish he were still creating comics, but, for the past couple of years, there hasn't been a lot out by him. Ditko has to be getting up in years, too. Remember, he was drawing comics back in the early 1950s, which would make him at least 60 years old or older.

Steve Ditko is one of comics' greatest creators. The mystique surrounding him only makes him that much more interesting and history will mark him as a recluse and a visionaire. I've got no problem with Ditko's no-compromise attitude. Whatever works for him is fine with me.

And, on the subject of selling the letter... who knows the situation Charlie Roberts was/is in for him to sell something he held onto? He might have badly needed the cash for something, or threw it away and someone found it in the trash. We don't know the story behind the sale of this item, so why judge someone and question his morals?

C'mon, fanboys, just because an artist doesn't want to do a commission and doesn't want to meet people doesn't make them bad people. But, you fanboys expect artists to cater to you. Ditko has a firm set of beliefs. Get over it and don't get your panties in such a wad.