• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade with plastic cover?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I have a Superman 500 that is still in the plastic cover with the Superman symbol on it. I also have an X-Force 1 with the plastic on and it says "free official marvel super hero trading card etc" on the plastic cover. 

In these cases, is this worth more with the plastic on and if so, do you get these graded with the plastic on then? Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Image from iOS (9).jpg

If you send those books to CGC for grading the books will be removed from the polybag by CGC for grading and the bag will be disposed of.

From what I have read on the site you are better off removing the books from the bag yourself before submitting for grading.

Being in the polybag does not mean the book is a MT 10.0, the book can be damaged in the bag just as easily as out of the bag.

On the other hand if you are looking to keep the books as they are then just place the book/bag into a Mylite with Board and store it away with the rest of your collection.

Does the book being in the original bag make it worth more $?, probably only to someone who collects original polybagged comics.

Either way, in the original polybag or CGC graded you can never read it.

16 hours ago, spil said:

Hi everyone! I have a Superman 500 that is still in the plastic cover with the Superman symbol on it. I also have an X-Force 1 with the plastic on and it says "free official marvel super hero trading card etc" on the plastic cover. 

In these cases, is this worth more with the plastic on and if so, do you get these graded with the plastic on then? Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Image from iOS (9).jpg

Comic in plastic = ??? grade. So, educated guess says, it's worth more out of the plastic bag.

CGC does not grade a comic still in the bag. How could they? They cannot examine the actual comic...

comics with polybags from the manufacture are impossible to grade in the bag as there can be hidden damage etc.. as for the value it depends on how you want to sell it and what you want to get for it. Some collectors like the polybag book for their collection some might prefer it in a slab so they know what they are getting etc.. 

I would recommend doing some research maybe on Ebay to see what the raw book with bag is going for and what a slabbed on is going for and make your decision based on that, keeping in mind there are fees associated with grading. Best of luck