• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoa! Constantine Reviewed! SPOILERS

3 posts in this topic

So I watched "Constantine" last night on DVD. As one of the main critics of movie, I felt I should post my review of the flick as it exceeded all of my (albiet low) expectations.

The biggest problem I had with the film (prior to viewing) was the casting of Keanu Reeves as Constantine and transporting him from London to L.A. Keanu's performance as the supernatural con-man was most uninspired. However, for me, this worked. It was easy for me to re-imagine the movie with the John Constantine I know. smile.gif The writers, I felt, did a pretty decent job capturing the character of Constantine.

The plot of the movie was surprisingly good. 893whatthe.gif The basic premise was that the demons from Hell were trying to cross over into the real world and it was John's job to stop them (that's "Hellblazer" enough for me). They would accomplish this by having the son of Lucifer born on Earth via a human host (a powerful psychic to boot). So, John battles some demons, does some hocus pocus, visits hell, etc....Again, standard Constantine fare (much to my delight). In the end, we find out that it's actually an angel (Gabriel) that is behind the whole plot; trying to make humans more worthy of God's love by releasing "Hell on Earth"!!! (Gotta love those wacky Angels). Great stuff!!!! I'll leave out the part of how John stops it (I've spoiled enough already), but I'll say it is in typical Constantine manner. cloud9.gif

The only thing in the movie that I really had a problem with (during and post viewing) was the stupid arse "Crucifix-shotgun" that was (mercifully) sparingly used. Totally out of place in a Constantine story. In the same scene he also takes on some demons hand-to-hand. Again, not typical Constantine. I guess that was thrown in to appease the non-fanboys. Give me the trickster over the commando anyday. Still, as I said, the use of the gun was minimal, so I'll forgive it.

All in all, I must say, I actually liked the movie! Much better than I ever imagined. Sometimes it helps to have low expectations. Whoa! thumbsup2.gif

I assume those expectations would've included hammy or just plain bad acting from most of the cast, a vapid -script and a cop out bit at the end?

I mean, Constantine kicking the cig habit and switching to gum? No!!!! tongue.gif

I assume those expectations would've included hammy or just plain bad acting from most of the cast, a vapid -script and a cop out bit at the end?

I mean, Constantine kicking the cig habit and switching to gum? No!!!! tongue.gif

In a nutshell, yes.

Agree, the gum thing at the end was awful. I predicted it as well. frown.gif The true Constantine would've doubled his cig intake now that he has a nice clean set of lungs. grin.gif

It wasn't a great movie. Not even close. Just much better than I thought it would be.