• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impulse Buys?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I don't know about you all, but every now and then I'll hit buy or place a bid on a book that at any other moment I would have passed on without a second thought- or even a first thought!  Books that don't fit with the kind of books I normally collect (pch, crime, and jungle gga).  I thought a thread on these type of impulse buys might make for good discussion and stories.  Don't know how much legs it will have but, I'll give it a try.

During a recent Heritage auction, I found out a Cole jungle book was for sale, but I forgot to pre-bid.  By the time I remembered, the auction was underway and you could only bid in the live auction so I sat and waited for my book to come up.  When the Cole book was up, I bid and won.  Then as I sat basking in the warm glow of a satisfying golden age purchase, this Tip Top popped up.  Recently I've been fighting the urge to collect the Peanuts books but have resisted due to the current price surge, but Peanuts were the first comics I was introduced to as a child so there's some nostalgia there, and I just love the simplicity of the covers.  Anyway, I'm a very amateur drummer, and when I saw Charlie Brown playing drums with Snoopy assisting on bass, I impulsively hit the bid button.  I immediately regretted it, and sat for an agonizing several seconds hoping someone would outbid me...  Anyway, it's a very nice book, and was definitely affordable, so I don't regret it.  But still, live auctions are risky!

TIP TOP COMICS #218 SLAB.jpg

10 hours ago, Black Bat said:

Recently I've been fighting the urge to collect the Peanuts books but have resisted due to the current price surge, but Peanuts were the first comics I was introduced to as a child so there's some nostalgia there, and I just love the simplicity of the covers.  Anyway, I'm a very amateur drummer, and when I saw Charlie Brown playing drums with Snoopy assisting on bass, I impulsively hit the bid button.  I immediately regretted it, and sat for an agonizing several seconds hoping someone would outbid me...  Anyway, it's a very nice book, and was definitely affordable, so I don't regret it.  But still, live auctions are risky!

Buy what you like my friend @Black Bat  If something resonates with you and makes you feel "some type of way" that is what the hobby is about.

I end up having very few to no regrets following this path...

Edited by bounty_coder

10 hours ago, Black Bat said:

I don't know about you all, but every now and then I'll hit buy or place a bid on a book that at any other moment I would have passed on without a second thought- or even a first thought!  Books that don't fit with the kind of books I normally collect (pch, crime, and jungle gga).  I thought a thread on these type of impulse buys might make for good discussion and stories.  Don't know how much legs it will have but, I'll give it a try.

During a recent Heritage auction, I found out a Cole jungle book was for sale, but I forgot to pre-bid.  By the time I remembered, the auction was underway and you could only bid in the live auction so I sat and waited for my book to come up.  When the Cole book was up, I bid and won.  Then as I sat basking in the warm glow of a satisfying golden age purchase, this Tip Top popped up.  Recently I've been fighting the urge to collect the Peanuts books but have resisted due to the current price surge, but Peanuts were the first comics I was introduced to as a child so there's some nostalgia there, and I just love the simplicity of the covers.  Anyway, I'm a very amateur drummer, and when I saw Charlie Brown playing drums with Snoopy assisting on bass, I impulsively hit the bid button.  I immediately regretted it, and sat for an agonizing several seconds hoping someone would outbid me...  Anyway, it's a very nice book, and was definitely affordable, so I don't regret it.  But still, live auctions are risky!

TIP TOP COMICS #218 SLAB.jpg

Nice pickup. 

You can still enter a proxy bid even after the auction is under way. If you click on the red proxy bid button on the page the book is on, it will take you to the live auction page where you can enter your proxy bid. So you don't have to wait for the book to come up for live bidding unless you want to. 

I agree with you about Peanuts -- love them but they've gotten expensive.