• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Drop Offs

4 posts in this topic

So I dropped off some comics to get signed at a local comic book shop that was having an artist event to get them signed.  I’m still waiting on them, my question is....   when CGC returns them to the Comic Book Shop are my Comics somehow sealed and tampered protected from having let’s some one from the shop switching my comics for a different set?  Can you tell I’m paranoid?  Lol.  Thanks for your help

If I get your question right, the CGC casing (especially the newest casing) is relatively tamper proof.  It would be nearly impossible for someone to switch the comic after its been graded by CGC without there being some evidence of tampering (like a cracked slab or broken posts). 

But even more importantly, there's very little financial motive for switching the books AFTER they come back from CGC as CGC SS.  Much of the value would be tied up in the CGC SS signature witnessed and slabbed as such.  A signed copy taken OUT of the CGC slab and replaced with another fake signed comic (or comic  of lower grade) seems to be a lot of trouble for not much value.  Is your comic or the signature worth that much to a potential thief or fraudster?  

Besides, if a nefarious store employee WAS going to commit fraud of some sort, wouldn't it have made sense to switch the books BEFORE sending to CGC, provided he had an identical book and was sure yours would grade higher, AND he was still willing to pay for a second grading up front? 

So in any event, the grade difference between the identical books would have to be MORE than the cost of the thief's book, the cost of the signature, the cost of CGC SS grading, the marginal cost of shipping for his submission.  And that any additional profit ON TOP OF THAT DIFFERENCE would be worth risking his/her job and possibly criminal charges. 

IF there was a thief capable of switching books in and out of CGC slabs, wouldn't they likely target more valuable books then yours (and definitely not CGC SS)?  Or are you a newbie getting $10K books signed and leaving them with stores you don't trust?

Also, a tip for the future, take lots of pics before you send to CGC, whether your using an intermediary or not.