• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Silver Age X-men CGC 0.1

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I was just on mycomicsshop.com looking around and decided to see what #1 Uncanny X-men were selling for. I happen to own this book and was curious, trying to decide if it's a good time to start selling my collection. They have a #1 Uncanny X-men without a cover that's listed as graded CGC 0.1 that they are listing for $1785! Does this sound right? I'm not sure of what my comic book would be graded at but looking at other examples I've seen, maybe between a 5-7? I want opionions on whether I should get it graded by CGC or just sell it as is? Would the cost of grading be worth it? Would it add that much value to this comic? I have all of the Silver age X-men from #1 thru about #59, all in similar condition.

Thanks for any comments!

2 minutes ago, Boogster said:

Hi, I was just on mycomicsshop.com looking around and decided to see what #1 Uncanny X-men were selling for. I happen to own this book and was curious, trying to decide if it's a good time to start selling my collection. They have a #1 Uncanny X-men without a cover that's listed as graded CGC 0.1 that they are listing for $1785! Does this sound right? I'm not sure of what my comic book would be graded at but looking at other examples I've seen, maybe between a 5-7? I want opionions on whether I should get it graded by CGC or just sell it as is? Would the cost of grading be worth it? Would it add that much value to this comic? I have all of the Silver age X-men from #1 thru about #59, all in similar condition.

Thanks for any comments!

you might want to post some pics of the books from different angles and different views front cover back cover centerfold and first page to get a really good opinion here as its hard to give an opinion on how to proceed without any thing to look at. As grading is subjective and varies based on multiple issues, defects, etc... Also it looks like you have done some research about the value but now it comes down to what you want to make or what is a good price for you to sell I would check raw sales and graded sales then and check the cost include shipping in there to grade a comic. You can go here for prices on Grades tiers https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc/

You can also take scans and sell the books here to other boardie members if you want more avenues of where to get pricing gocollect or ebay sold listings is a great free tool others use GPA to check the average for slabs etc.. 

Best of Luck and welcome to the Boards :tink:

As a general comment, the majority of books on mycomicshop are consignments and sellers can ask pie-in-the-sky prices if they want. It's interesting as a data point, but completely random and not relevant to your book.

Yep, post up your X-Men #1! We'd love to see it.

10 hours ago, Boogster said:

Thanks for the comments, I just bought a program called Comic Collector and have started entering the 1000 plus comics in my collection. Once I know what I have, I can make a better decision on which comics if any to get graded.

Good luck and have fun...

11 hours ago, Boogster said:

Thanks for the comments, I just bought a program called Comic Collector and have started entering the 1000 plus comics in my collection. Once I know what I have, I can make a better decision on which comics if any to get graded.

I use an excel sheet as I can manipulate the data better and put prices in there or other info such as grading or raw estimated grades, where I picked it up etc.. 

18 hours ago, Boogster said:

Thanks for any comments!

Those coverless copies are signed. So that adds value. A signed coverless copy can still command a fair price, although personally I would not pay it. Heck, the one auction is a just a page of the story signed going for $600.

Would also love to see pictures of your X-Men 1. Most likely, to maximize your return, grading it would be a win. Unless you want to sell quickly. If you are willing to invest waiting another year or so to get stuff graded, it could be worthwhile.

Any reason for selling? Just curious. Now is a great time. Comics arguably have not been hotter. The MCU and DCU to an extent have caused a renewed love for characters and comics in general. X-Men #1 is a book you should have no problem sellling. As for the rest, well depends on the issue as some between 1-59 are worth more than others but all definitely desirable.

Thanks again for all the great comments, It's given me something to think about. About 50% of these comics are original Silver age Marvels that I collected when I was between 7 and 18 when I went in the Army. In 1987 i briefly started collecting again, and collected only #1 issues, almost all Marvel. When I retired from the Army in 93 I again collected, for a short period of time.

The reason I am thinking of selling now is that I just retired. I no longer want to hold on to so many comics. I have close to 1000 total, all of them bagged and boarded and stored in the long white comic boxes. They've been in my basement for around 25 years. So I figured I might as well sell, and help finance my retirement.

My basement is a mess and I need to move a lot of stuff out of the way in order to find my boxes of comics. As soon as I find my #1 X-men, I will post a picture, along with some others. Maybe my #1 Daredevil, #1 Avengers, and #1 Amazing Spiderman.

Boog