• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY (TBD)
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hulu’s next big show is coming from the beloved mind of Douglas Adams—as Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy returns to TV once more.

Deadline reports that Carlton Cuse and Jason Fuchs will both show-run and write the adaptation of Adams’ beloved sci-fi series for the streaming service. The story follows hapless Englishman, and noted towel fan, Arthur Dent on his adventures across the cosmos after the earth is demolished by an alien species called the Vogons, primarily to make way for the interstellar version of a highway.

It’s a second crack at the series for Disney—the media conglomerate helped produce the 2005 film adaptation through Touchstone Pictures and Buena Vista, which starred Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent—who of course now own Hulu in its entirety after consuming Fox’s stake in the streaming platform during the acquisition process earlier this year.

It’s not the first time Hitchhikers has come to TV, either: there was, of course, the beloved staple of British popular culture that is the 1981 BBC adaptation, which utilized the cast of the 1978 BBC Radio series based on Adams’ first book in the series.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Star Wishes Movie Got Sequels

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from Douglas Addams is a beloved sci-fi story for a number of reasons, with the concept being brought to life as a feature film in 2005. Despite the passionate fan base and inherent potential of the concept, the film hasn't earned any sequels, a fact which star Zooey Deschanel is quite disappointed with. First debuting as a radio play, the concept was then expanded into books, comics, a TV series, and even stage plays, confirming just how much potential there is in the concept, while also reminding audiences just how frustrating it is that the star-studded film never earned any followups.

"I did [enjoy starring in the movie], but the character was supposed to be part-alien and for some reason they cut that out. As an actor, I was heartbroken, but I loved the movie and the people," Deschanel shared with The Guardian. "Douglas Adams [its creator] passed away before his time [at 49, in 2001], which was so sad. He never saw the finished movie, but people from his camp made sure it stayed true to his vision. I would have loved to have made more."

While the feature-film franchise has seemingly concluded, the concept is supposedly set to find new life as a TV series. Back in 2019, it was announced that showrunner Carlton Cuse (Lost, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Locke & Key) and writer Jason Fuchs (Wonder Woman, Ice Age: Continental Drift) were developing a new take on the material for Hulu, though few updates about that project have been revealed in the years since. With The Walt Disney Company having acquired 20th Century Fox and Hulu in that time, it's possible that the project has fallen by the wayside during the merging of brands.

Always wanted to see Disaster Area…

A plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, they are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but in fact the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles from the stage, while the musicians themselves play their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stays in orbit around the planet – or more frequently around a completely different planet.

Many worlds have now banned their act altogether, sometimes for artistic reasons, but most commonly because the band’s public address system contravenes local strategic arms limitations treaties.’

This is a series thats nearly impossible to adapt in any meaningful way. It lives in my head off the pages. Something I never thought I would get into and yet couldn’t stop reading.  The movie didn’t work but I loved the casting of Freeman. Here’s hoping the hulu series will be worthwhile.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:26 PM, ▫️ said:

This is a series thats nearly impossible to adapt in any meaningful way. It lives in my head off the pages. Something I never thought I would get into and yet couldn’t stop reading.  The movie didn’t work but I loved the casting of Freeman. Here’s hoping the hulu series will be worthwhile.

Agreed. The nuances of the book are extremely difficult to translate to the screen. A lot is lost in translation