• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The limits of grading

30 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

608601195_JIM125-a.thumb.jpg.2b117ac5f59fe7fcea8814955702d60e.jpg

1489993355_mustacheetc.thumb.jpg.76bf1e6534c3da085c58b4f68a30c10e.jpg

man-- I have a perfect candidate!

Most of that will buff right off.

15 hours ago, kav said:

I'm talking CGC.  I dont think they can examine everything interior to the extent you are suggesting-fiddling with letters could only be detected by actually reading every single page.  You would also have to compare each page with another 'reference' issue to make sure someone didnt add small lines on buildings, etc.  Or use a black light on every page.

Educated guess says that some graders are likely more thorough than others.

I bet all of the young guys skip a lot of :censored: just to get through the day...

On 7/25/2019 at 12:48 AM, kav said:

for example, what if someone used a pen to change a bunch if T's in a book to I's.  Or some other letter change.  Graders do not read every book they grade and that is the only way something like that would be noticed.  Or added lines to characters face or whatever.

I'm just wondering to what extent is the interior of a book examined.  We know they over the cover quite thoroughly, staples etc.  

If CGC finds out that a T changed to I they would grade it a P

...L. O. D. 

Ok buddy told me Brian at A1 shared on Instagram a Hulk 181 he sent in and came back with "letters fiddled with on interior".

CGC caught it.

Edited by kav