• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

David Sandberg's KUNG FURY 2 (TBD)
1 1

7 posts in this topic

The long-gestating follow-up ‘Kung Fury 2’ is now replacing Eiza González (‘Baby Driver’) with Alexandra Shipp, for unknown reasons. She will play Rey Porter, a news anchor who will do anything to get the best story.

Shipp was recently in the legacy sequel ‘Shaft,’ and reprised her ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ role of Storm in ‘Dark Phoenix.’ Other credits include F. Gary Gray’s ‘Straight Outta Compton,’ Greg Berlanti’s ‘Love, Simon’ and Charles Martin Smith’s ‘ A Dog’s Way Home.’ Next, she will appear in Jon Lucas and Scott Moore’s ‘Lexi’ and Scott Speer’s ‘Endless.’

She joins Michael Fassbender (‘Steve Jobs,’ ‘Alien: Covenant’), David Hasselhoff (‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,’ ‘Baywatch’), and Arnold Schwarzenegger (‘The Expendables 3,’ ‘Terminator: Genisys’).

Moreover, the film is a sort-of sequel to the original crowdfunded short film ‘Kung Fury.’ David Sandberg (not the ‘Shazam!’ director) was the triple threat of writer, director, and actor, playing the titular character.

Meanwhile, Sandberg returns to star, direct, and write, this time co-writing with Tyler Burton Smith (‘Quantum Break,’ ‘Child’s Play’). Further, the premise is below:

“It’s 1985, the best year ever. Miami is kept safe under the watchful eye of Kung Fury (Sandberg), the greatest damn cop of all time. His Thundercops are the ultimate police force assembled from across history to defeat the villainous Kung Fuhrer, Adolf Hitler. But after the tragic death of one of their members causes the group to disband, a mysterious villain emerges from the shadows to aid in the Fuhrer’s quest to attain the ultimate weapon. Kung Fury must travel through space and time to save his friends, defend the prestigious Miami Kung Fu Academy and defeat evil once and for all.”

Filming is currently underway in Bulgaria, likely at the Nu Boyana Studios facility in Sofia. Other shooting locations include Germany, as well as possibly Miami and Los Angeles.

I totally forgot about this picture.

David Hasselhoff Offers Update on Kung Fury 2, Promises “I Am Going to Be Funny in It”

Five years ago, movie audiences were mesmerized by the DIY action film Kung Fury, which became an instant cult classic. David Hasselhoff, who sang the movie’s memorable song “True Survivor” and voiced the Hoff 9000 car in the original, tells us he’s back for the sequel and is “going to be funny in it.”

Kung Fury was made by Swedish director, writer, and star David Sandberg on a shoestring budget. After self-producing a $5,000 trailer for the yet-to-be-filmed kung fu movie, he launched a Kickstarter campaign with a goal of reaching $200,000. By the time the campaign ended, Sandberg raised more than $600,000, and locked in Hasselhoff for the theme song and Hoff 9000 role.

The outlandish homage to ’80s B-movies features Kung Fury (played by Sandberg) partnering with Triceracop, meeting the Norse god Thor, fighting Adolph Hitler (played by Jorma Taccone), and other memorable scenes. The 31-minute short film has racked up 37 million views on Youtube, while the music video for Hasselhoff’s “True Survivor” has surpassed 44 million views.

Sandberg has already wrapped up filming Kung Fury 2, with Hasselhoff returning alongside new cast members Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael Fassbender, among others. The new movie is set in 1985 Miami, where Kung Fury must once again battle Hitler (aka “Kung Fuhrer”) and a new mysterious villain. It all sounds amazing, but post-production is on hold due to a lawsuit involving the film’s investors.

We recently caught up with Hasselhoff to discuss his recent heavy metal song, “Through the Night”, which he recorded with Austrian duo CueStack, and he was kind enough to offer up the latest on Kung Fury 2, as well as discuss his experience making the first film.

“I am involved [in Kung Fury 2] and I’m a big fan of David Sandberg, and big fan of [the first] Kung Fury,” Hasselhoff told Heavy Consequence. “I did a song called ‘True Survivor’, which I think got 30 or 50 million hits or something like that on YouTube. And it’s a great video. And it was a combination of the promotion for the [movie] and using David Hasselhoff as a tool [to publicize the film].”

“[Sandberg] said, ‘Will you play Hasselhoff?,’ and I said, ‘I would only do the movie if I could play the car. I want to play The Hoff, and I want to say a line like, “Don’t hassle The Hoff, or I will unleash the fury.”’ And he wrote that in.”

Kung Fury Movie Set Photo Brings Back Hackerman, 2022 Release Date

A new set photo for Kung Fury 2 has revealed the return of Hackerman and confirmed the film will release in 2022. The original Kung Fury was a crowdfunded short film that paid homage to the sci-fi action classics of the 1980s in an absurdist comedic style. That movie is now being reimagined as a full-length feature film in Kung Fury 2, starring creator David Sandberg and other members of the original cast alongside big stars like Michael Fassbender and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Kung Fury follows the adventures of the titular Miami cop, who gains superpowers after being simultaneously struck by lightning and bitten by a cobra. He and his partner, the humanoid dinosaur Triceracop, travel through time to face off against laser raptors, weaponized arcade machines, and Hitler’s Nazi army. The whole featurette is a fever dream of special effects, synthwave backing beats, and tons of ‘80s cliches.

Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Kung Fury II Gets Caught Up in “Legal Wranglings” Despite Film’s Extreme Anticipation

David Sandberg earned plenty of accolades for his 2015 short film Kung Fury featuring Michael Fassbender. Sandberg directed as well as starred in the movie, portraying Kung Fury, a martial artist who decides to travel back in time to kill Kung Fuhrer.

During the promotion of his new film, Next Goal Wins, the 46-year-old talked about different projects he has been involved in during an appearance on the Happy Sad Confused podcast. As he mentioned Kung Fury II, the host Josh Horowitz interrupted and asked, “What’s going on?” with the action-comedy project. Fassbender replied:

“I think there’s just some legal wranglings going on there, but hopefully it will see the light of the day.”