• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My kind of pedigree, Chicago is (show’m if you got’m)
3 3

46 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
18 hours ago, sagii said:

I'm guessing all your current ped copies will remain in the blue label holders hm

It seems silly to reholder them just to get a new label.

+2

Especially if you don't plan on selling them anytime soon.

After all, you never know how many more iterations of label changes CGC will be going through over the ensuring years in hopes of keeping their green  money machine running at full max.  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

37 minutes ago, sagii said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

2018-04-15-0001_zpscxtisi1g.JPG

This...is...LIFE! (worship)

Love these humorous WWII propoganda covers.  :luhv:

Since the Church copies appear to be locked away in a private collection(s), it would appear that the Chicago copies of the Jackpot's are about the best that you are going to get.  hm

Especially since all of the Chicago copies of the Jackpot books that have come to market so far have been at or tied for highest graded copy.  Looks like this Chicago copy of Jackpot 5 is no exception as it is tied with only one other for highest copy on the CGC census report.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

My old age must be starting to creep in as I've been trying to figure something out.  :facepalm:

Now, as everybody here knows, the Mile High pedigree collection is really the Edgar Church collection and the San Francsico pedigree collection is really the Tom Reilly collection.  If I remember correctly, the Carson City pedigree collection is also known as the Comstock Collection.  

When it comes to the Chicago pedigree collection though, it is clearly not the same thing as the Windy City pedigree collection since this one consists of only #1 issues as far as I can remember.  So, is the Chicago pedigree collection then the same thing as the noted George Olshevsky collection which was often talked about way back in the day?  I believe it consisted mostly of the Timely books and was highly sought after at the time.  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

My old age must be starting to creep in as I've been trying to figure something out.  :facepalm:

Now, as everybody here knows, the Mile High pedigree collection is really the Edgar Church collection and the San Francsico pedigree collection is really the Tom Reilly collection.  If I remember correctly, the Carson City pedigree collection is also known as the Comstock Collection.  

When it comes to the Chicago pedigree collection though, it is clearly not the same thing as the Windy City pedigree collection since this one consists of only #1 issues as far as I can remember.  So, is the Chicago pedigree collection then the same thing as the noted George Olshevsky collection which was often talked about way back in the day?  I believe it consisted mostly of the Timely books and was highly sought after at the time.  hm

No, George owned a lot of Chicago Copies, but not every George Olshevsky copy is a Chicago Copy. He had a complete Timely collection, about 1/3rd were Chicago Copies.

16 hours ago, Timely said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No, George owned a lot of Chicago Copies, but not every George Olshevsky copy is a Chicago Copy. He had a complete Timely collection, about 1/3rd were Chicago Copies.

West;

Greatly appreciate your feedback here.  (thumbsu

I remembered going theough the Overstreet guides back in the late 70's and early 80's and they used to constantly talked about the Olshevsky Timely copies which left me with the impression that they were some type of pedigree copy back then.  Since that name seems to have dropped out of the collecting volcabulary over the past couple of decades, I thought they might have just changed it to the more familiar sounding Chicago pedigree name.  Thanks for clearing up that little misunderstanding on my part for me.  :applause:

As for the Chicago books themselves, any idea how large the collection was since they don't seem to really show up very often in the marketplace today?  I know it had a lot of the Timely's as part of the collection back then when they seem to be much more prevalent.  Not so much now, as even this current CC auction that is taking place right now has only one of these books in their auction.  Looking at it last night, I somehow suspect it just might end up finishing a wee bit higher than the current $3 top bid it is sitting at.  Especially since it is apparently still tied as the highest graded copy after all these years. hm

On second thought, considering the auction has now gone on for almost an entire week with everybody already having their fair shot on the book, I really think the CC auction should end right now on this Chicago pedigree book right here and not go a single dollar higher than the astronomically out of the ball park $3 figure it's already at.  Boy, they are definitely right when they talk about how insane prices are in today's scorching red hot marketplace.  lol  :wishluck:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

59 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

A quick search say that Olshevsky himself penned the codes in the Chicago copies and that his initials are penned on the last page of each book.  True?

So, makes me wonder if CGC would tend to view these penned in codes as defects and downgrade accordingly for them, especially since they are not CGC verified signatures?  hm

Reminds me a bit like the Recil Macon books where he penned in his name all over the book along with filling in his personal info for the mailed-in coupons inside the books.  :p  

Oh well, but I'll still  :takeit: them!!!  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

I can see a 10 year old boy doing something like that but, if true, what could have been going through George's mind when he did that?  He was an adult collector when he owned these books!  :makepoint:

In any case, I think that Recil putting his particulars only adds to the allure.  In George's case it probably hasn't diminished the desire for Timely collectors to own a Chicago copy or three...

Edited by pemart1966

6 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

A quick search say that Olshevsky himself penned the codes in the Chicago copies and that his initials are penned on the last page of each book.  True?

True. Only Chicago Copies owned by George had the coding. He coded ALL his books,  including non Chicago's.

22 hours ago, Timely said:
On 8/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, pemart1966 said:

True. Only Chicago Copies owned by George had the coding. He coded ALL his books,  including non Chicago's.

West;

Since I would not be able to ask you a question here based upon your current job with your current employer, I just had a question from the point of view of your previous job with your previous employer here.  (:  lol

When it comes to markings or coding that's associated or recognized as the signature tell tale marks for a particular pedigree, how do the graders treat that from a strict grading point of view?  If it's something minor and small like the Edgar Church codings, I imagine they are not seen as a defect.  I personally prefer books with these tell tale MH codes because it makes it so much easier to identify them and verify their authenticity.  :luhv:

I was just wondering what happens when you get either the more obtrusive coding like the Okijima camp copies which are often rather large, but still doesn't appear to be a deterrent for the collectors based upon the high prices they are fetching.  Or the Cosmic Aeroplane or even the Recil Macon pedigree books which have their markings and/or printed signatures throughout various parts of the book.  Definitely less appealing from a relative visual appearance point of view, so I was wondering if these would then be seen as a defect when it comes to grading?  (shrug)

Of course, there's absolutely no need for you to answer this question if this would be a violation of CGC's proprietary rights and you could end up in the slammer for life if you did answer the question. :devil:  :bigsmile: