• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do we really still need flatbed scanners for comic scans?
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2020 at 4:40 AM, Professor Chaos said:

I have a HP Scanjet 8200 or 8250. Its in flawless condition. But it leaves glare, too much glare.

I like to keep all my graded books categorized and in order so whenever I get a new one the first thing I do is scan it. 

Example of how it leaves glare- First scan is upright in the scanner bed. Heavy glare on the top edge.

Second scan is flipped 180 degrees and there is glare on the bottom eege. Anybody know if there is a simple program to use on a PC to fix this or a suggestion for a scanner which doesn't leave glare.....or any advice at all? Thanks

001.jpg

003.jpg

Did you ever find a solution for the glare issue?  I got an HP 8300 and the glare is killer.  I tried flipping it like you did, glare just goes to the bottom instead. 

Only solution I have found is increasing the DPI to 1200, but then you get 30MB file which you can't post anywhere. 

2021-03-05-0001.jpg

2021-03-05-0002.jpg

4 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Did you ever find a solution for the glare issue?  I got an HP 8300 and the glare is killer.  I tried flipping it like you did, glare just goes to the bottom instead. 

Only solution I have found is increasing the DPI to 1200, but then you get 30MB file which you can't post anywhere. 

2021-03-05-0001.jpg

2021-03-05-0002.jpg

Hey, no same stuff. As you probably know the current holders aren't usually as bad as the previous ones. The glare is different on every case too. Just like yours. Some ok, some pretty bad. I never tried (by the way nice 1st Herc) 1200 dpi, I do 600 with the brightness up to around 25 and the contrast about 15-20. helps a little but brings out the true colors more. 

I'm glad you posted this because now I know the 8300 is no better. I just wish I could get a legal size scanner that leaves no glare for no more than around 200 bucks.,even 300 I would get. Take care Bluemed.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

For many years in the aughts I loved my legal-sized MicroTek flatbed scanner.  The scan quality was impeccable and the resolution was fantastic.  Now, every picture I take of a comic with my phone looks better than almost any scan I took a decade or more ago.

Do we really still need legal-sized scanners for our CGC books, or is a well-lit photography station and a great digital camera just fine?

I love my iPhone for taking pics. The challenge is finding the right spot in the house to get a nice pic without lare.

If you can get a nice scan without the glare, like I keep getting with the GA chunky slabs, I don't think anything beats it.  The scan looks clean and professional. 

Recent scan using the 8300.  I don't think a cell phone pic gets everything the way a scan does. 

Sandman1cgc98a.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

several of the image editing programs make it easy and automatic to combine 2 scans into one file. i use photoshop which has a great tool called photomerge. but i hear that the free adobe scan can also do this. probably others too.

i do think cell pics can be great, and i sometimes do that, but as @Kramerica said, it's challenging to find a spot with good light and no glare from above.