• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: A Question about San Diego

12 posts in this topic

I realize that logistically it is expensive for dealers to lug their CGC material to shows and that raw material is easier to deal with, however, I do not understand the buying publics logic of buying raw advertised NM books at 1 1/2 times guide that are really VF with nice eye appeal. You are actually paying about the same multiple as the guy who buys a slabbed NM at 3X guide the differnece is just that the absolute dollars spent are significantly less. Is it a psychological thing? Is it a $ and cents thing?. They can call it NM since they are probably not going to slab it anyway? confused-smiley-013.gif I am just trying to understand the mindset of the raw high grade buyer. This pertains to Gold and Silver Age.Can someone explain this to me like I am a five year old? screwy.gif

I realize that logistically it is expensive for dealers to lug their CGC material to shows and that raw material is easier to deal with, however, I do not understand the buying publics logic of buying raw advertised NM books at 1 1/2 times guide that are really VF with nice eye appeal. You are actually paying about the same multiple as the guy who buys a slabbed NM at 3X guide the differnece is just that the absolute dollars spent are significantly less. Is it a psychological thing? Is it a $ and cents thing?. They can call it NM since they are probably not going to slab it anyway? confused-smiley-013.gif I am just trying to understand the mindset of the raw high grade buyer. This pertains to Gold and Silver Age.Can someone explain this to me like I am a five year old? screwy.gif

Not to be a stick in the mud, but this way of thinking doesn't jive well with UG's, as they are often difficult to locate and my indiscriminate buying methods mean I'd buy them raw or slabbed provided I can find them first. San Diego happens to be one of those shows where you can still find a golden nugget or two.

Sure, he's the simple explanation. Some people just can't grade. Those who can, don't do what you just said.

Sure, he's the simple explanation. Some people just can't grade. Those who can, don't do what you just said.

That is my point. There seemed to be a number of people who claimed to he high grade collectors, yet would not pay multiples for cgc graded books, but were happy to buy raw at a "discount" to cgc multiples and plenty of dealers ready and willing to help them out. Do you mean to tell me that dealers do not need the extra money that comes with a cgc grade as opposed to raw 893whatthe.gif

Do you mean to tell me that dealers do not need the extra money that comes with a cgc grade as opposed to raw

So how much money do you think dealers have in order to tie up their stock at CGC for slabs?

Most dealers do not like the idea of spending thousands of dollars and waiting several months in order to get a surprise grade on their books.

It's more about the big picture than about getting an extra buck on a book.

so double plus their money for waiting a couple of months is not worth it?. I have only been at this for three years now and I see books still in inventories since the first week I started looking. You talk about surprises. All a dealer has to do is crack it out if they disagree with the grade. IMO it is just dealers taking advantage of the PT Barnum theory.

As an example, take Harley's inventory. He has well over a 5000 books he takes to every con.

At a base cost of $30-50 dollars per book to slab, plus shipping. For books that would not be 9.2 or higher. Does this seem worthwhile to you? Not to mention he has to pay extra shipping costs to every con because of the additional space and weight of the slabs.

Most dealers examine their inventory for those books that are worthwhile to slab. Either major key books, high grade, or hot books. These are the ones they send to CGC for slabbing.

I would venture to say that they pick Fall as the time to submit. When their are few cons and they will get them back by the time con season rolls around.

I am only talking about NM books with a retail value of $500 or more If for example Harley brings 5000 books to a con, how many of those fit that category 100? 200?

How many dealers do you think have NM books valued over $500, and how many books do you think they have.

The answer is not many.

A little research:

Of Harley's inventory he has the following $500-$999

NM- 13

NM 3

NM+ 2

books over $1000:

NM- 3

NM 3

Taking one book. ASM #16, which he lists as a NM- and lists for $1500.

GPA has ASM #16 in 9.2 last sale under $1300.

So how much more money do you think Harley will get by slabbing the book?

Taking one book. ASM #16, which he lists as a NM- and lists for $1500.

GPA has ASM #16 in 9.2 last sale under $1300.

So how much more money do you think Harley will get by slabbing the book?

Not more at all that is full graded price. Why would anyone buy the raw at the same price as one that is graded That is my point. If that book comes back at 8.5 is it worth half that? probably not even. That is what I do not understand. Not why a dealer isnt slabbing the borderline books. Why "high grade" collectors are buying them.

Some HG collectors, as FFB said, cannot grade or don't care for slabs.

I know Jon Berk doesn't care for slabs. So he would only buy raw books. So if that HG collector doesn't follow slab prices how would he know what a slabbed copy goes for?

It would be interesting to know if Harley did slab the ASM#16, and it came back a 9.2 like he said. Would he maintain the same price for it?