• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What % of the buyers and sellers are “cpr”?

27 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, Krishosein said:

Well my theory is working off that New slab books or recent submissions, would always (I assume) be pressed as cause most people press all new submissions even the 9.8's in hopes of a 10 lol So when I think of CPR I would look for Old label books. So the Pool for Old slabs are a finite amount and be the base line for the amount of CPR's available. But as I also said yes there would be circumstances where the new submissions would be a CPR candidate but the flow of available CPR's Candidates would be much smaller 

I get in a lot of slabs where the owner is looking for upgrade potential. Out of every hundred or so slabs, maybe 2-3 are first generation slabs. 

Edited by joeypost

19 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I get in a lot of slabs where the owner is looking for upgrade potential. Out of every hundred or so slabs, maybe 2-3 are first generation slabs. 

thanks for the input very interesting bit of information there. I guess since most of the pressing Candidates are from newer slab I guess my theory doesn't hold very well. (shrug)

Question:

out of most of the slabs you get looking to be CPR are most of them Modern books?

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

thanks for the input very interesting bit of information there. I guess since most of the pressing Candidates are from newer slab I guess my theory doesn't hold very well. (shrug)

Question:

out of most of the slabs you get looking to be CPR are most of them Modern books?

About 60% or more. The trend, of late, is books that were graded by collectors who had not heard of pressing until after their books came back from CGC with grades lower than expected. 

3 minutes ago, joeypost said:

About 60% or more. The trend, of late, is books that were graded by collectors who had not heard of pressing until after their books came back from CGC with grades lower than expected. 

I am guessing pressing is fairly new to most people 

I do not do a lot of CPR for several reasons- 1) people I buy slabs from are very knowledgeable and would do so themselves; 2) cost benefit is tough to justify at certain price points; 3) grading is inconsistent enough that even when improving the book, there is no bump and sometimes a drop.

Having said that, I have a friend who is excellent at identifying CPR candidates (and I am not bad) and the improving books significantly. I just received these back yesterday:

HOS 92- former 7.5, now 9.0

GSX1- former 8.5, now 9.2

Those types of home-runs are what will keep the CPR search strong for years. On the other hand, I had a HOS 9.0 that was improved significantly and only received an 8.0. I cracked it and sold it for 9.2 money as it was that good. In the end, I suspect for many individuals who CPR regularly that the results are similarly mixed but the upside of the home-runs outweighs the misses and associated costs. 

On 8/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

CGC hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of what is out there. I suspect that CGC hasn't graded even a plurality of the most key of books. If CGC has graded 50% of the extant Action #1s, I'd be very surprised. CGC has seen...at most....only about 10% of the extant AF #15s. And even the highest amount of graded books for a single issue...ASM #300....has barely reached 10% of the surviving print run...if that.

And that's with now 20 full years in business.

Wow, finally somebody that's thinking along the same wavelength as me.  (thumbsu

Although it has now been 20 long years and I would tend to think your 10% figure might be a bit low.  I would most definitely say that although we can still see the light at the start of the grading tunnel, there's absolutely no way that we are even close to seeing the light at the end of the grading tunnel anytime soon.

As I have been saying ever since I got on these boards here, we are still so early in this whole grading game that it's absurb to think that all of the quality books have already been graded.  This is why I find it almost silly for speculators to say that we already have 3,000+ copies of AF 15 graded out there and there simply can't be many more than that.  My guess is that the CGC census population report will end up being somewhere in the 5-figures for this high demand book before it's all said and done.  hm

This is also why I find it rather strange that buyers are apparently willing to pay outrageous multiples to acquire the current highest graded copy of a particular book.  Especially when the egregious premium being paid has only short term transitory value and will disappear once another equivalent or higher graded copy of the book gets slabbed.  If you have to pay up (i.e. beyond reasonable) to acquire one of these current highest graded copies, it's almost tantamount to buying a hot potato and just waiting for the big  :tonofbricks: , and as history has clearly shown us over and over again, this is usally just a matter of time.  :taptaptap:

Especially when any rational collector who has a shot at possibly having the highest graded copy or close to it still sitting in their private collection would not even think of getting it graded until it came time to sell the book.  Even moreso since since getting the book graded to simply keep it in your collection and if it is indeed the new highest graded copy or close to it, would only end up putting a damper on prices for your own copy going forward.  hm

Edited by lou_fine