• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ernie Colon R.I.P.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I had never heard of him until he worked with Peter David on Dreadstar and I enjoyed his art from then on.  It sounds like it was a tough last year for him. He was lucky enough to have a career doing what he enjoyed so it sounds like he had a good life.

R.I.P. Ernie Colon.

I really liked his Conan and thought his work on Claw the Un-conquered was even better.

One of my favorites .  I was at a show around d 1975 and there was a guy named Ernie Chua there. I had no idea it was my favorite and I never even went by his table. Not really sure why he used two names.

Rest in peace.

23 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I really liked his Conan and thought his work on Claw the Un-conquered was even better.

One of my favorites .  I was at a show around d 1975 and there was a guy named Ernie Chua there. I had no idea it was my favorite and I never even went by his table. Not really sure why he used two names.

Rest in peace.

Colon drew a couple of issues of Savage Sword of Conan, but I don't recall him drawing Claw the Unconquered.  Are you mixing him up with Ernie Chan?

23 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Rest in peace.

I think you have them mixed a bit - Ernie Colon did a lot of DC work like Amethyst and Arak.  Very solid artist and I liked his work.  

Ernie Chua/Chan - it had something to do with his birth certificate being mis-typed I believe.  He was actually one of my favorite Conan artists along with Big John and BWS.

I only recently noticed that he did some of his earliest work in the Warren horror magazines, but much more familiar with his DC and Dreadstar material. 

Good artist.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Though I was unaware of it at the time, Ernie Colon was the pre-eminent artist of my and countless other Harvey fans' childhoods. As a frequent but always uncredited artist at Harvey comics he illustrated numerous Richie Rich and Casper stories Though never allowed to take official credit he nevertheless often snuck in the letters NOLOC on a sign or the tail of a plane. He definitely left his mark on my childhood.

Rest in Peace Mr. Colon.

Edited by Black_Adam