• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics with color fading...

35 posts in this topic

No way is that book VG+++ or VG/F even without the color fading, more like G/VG or something along those lines, depending on the structural damage that you can't see from the scan.

As it is with the hideous color loss, it's more suited to someone buying it for 'parts' than anything I would guess, or someone who just wants to fill a hole in their run.

The LCS where I shop had the same thing happen to all his wall display books after 10 years of being exposed to his flourescent store lights, just tremendously ugly. He said, at this point I may as well leave them up as 'wall art'. Some of them overlapped, and I took a few down and looked at them, the hidden parts of the covers were full color but the rest of the covers were faded into oblivion. Tragic.

Is there a clear and fast rule on how to treat color fading when grading?

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd also like to know if there is a general rule regarding color fading.

Overstreet uses the words "some discoloration, fading..." in the 4.0 range; in the 3.0 and 2.0 range they say "discoloration, fading..." (without the some qualifier). And, at 0.5 they use the term "extreme fading."

The only thing I could guess is that anything that's otherwise 5.0 or better with a faded cover might have to be downgraded to 4.5 or lower???

I don't know. Not really a whole lot to go on.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd also like to know if there is a general rule regarding color fading.

Overstreet uses the words "some discoloration, fading..." in the 4.0 range; in the 3.0 and 2.0 range they say "discoloration, fading..." (without the some qualifier). And, at 0.5 they use the term "extreme fading."

The only thing I could guess is that anything that's otherwise 5.0 or better with a faded cover might have to be downgraded to 4.5 or lower???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's an example of how "a little knowledge can be dangerous" 27_laughing.gif How can you (presumedly) quote the Overstreet Guide, and then draw the opposite conclusion??? screwy.gif

Mordo - I suggest you just go back and read it again sumo.gif

That book is a FR . Even if the book were in better shape structurally - that degree of fading is as bad as bad as the whole cover being water damaged.

I agree that the book structurally may grade out at a 1.5, and it is obviously "severely faded" - Any more faded, and we'd be staring at a blank page 27_laughing.gif

.5 for this POS gossip.gif but that doesn't mean it doesn't have value . . . to someone smirk.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's an example of how "a little knowledge can be dangerous" 27_laughing.gif How can you (presumedly) quote the Overstreet Guide, and then draw the opposite conclusion??? screwy.gif

Hello Divadrabnub, I appreciate your remarks, however, I was making a general comment about color fading and was not drawing a conclusion on the TTA book. That's what you were assuming, right?

Aces' original question concerned the treatment of color fading. My comments pertained to that specific question and nothing more.

Please do not verbally attack or make fun of me like that. I've been visiting this board specifically because I know many of you have an active interest in grading and are very proficient at it. I respect that more than you know. Frankly, my purpose here is to seek knowledge from you veterans in an effort to improve my grading. I try not to interact much being that I don't know any of you and don't want you to think I'm being forward. When I do say something, in all sincerity I hope it's not wasted input. However, based on your comments, it apparently is.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello Divadrabnub, I appreciate your remarks, however, I was making a general comment about color fading and was not drawing a conclusion on the TTA book. That's what you were assuming, right?

Aces' original question concerned the treatment of color fading. My comments pertained to that specific question and nothing more.

Please do not verbally attack or make fun of me like that. I've been visiting this board specifically because I know many of you have an active interest in grading and are very proficient at it. I respect that more than you know. Frankly, my purpose here is to seek knowledge from you veterans in an effort to improve my grading. I try not to interact much being that I don't know any of you and don't want you to think I'm being forward. When I do say something, in all sincerity I hope it's not wasted input. However, based on your comments, it apparently is.

sorry.gifflowerred.gif

gossip.gif My comments were meant to be light-hearted and not mean-spirited - Don't take things so seriously. I was trying to emphasize how serious a defect severe fading actually is. hi.gif

PIC in case the auction doesn't work:

Maybe the auction faded away too.... 27_laughing.gif That's a POS...BTW hi.gif

Yep, fair at best. hi.gif

sorry.gifflowerred.gif

gossip.gif My comments were meant to be light-hearted and not mean-spirited - Don't take things so seriously. I was trying to emphasize how serious a defect severe fading actually is. hi.gif

hi.gif All right, Divadrabnum. No problem.

PIC in case the auction doesn't work:

Maybe the auction faded away too.... 27_laughing.gif That's a POS...BTW hi.gif

I looked at that scan above and thought......DOA, Baby. DOA!