• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi got a quick question about some Hulk books i want to buy

18 posts in this topic

So i was thinking about getting hulk 1-474 complete full run and selling it on ebay (or wherever else) the hulk #1 was about a 1.0 and the rest of the issues range from good to decent condition i was just wondering how much would this collection be worth/sell for? Would it be better to just by 1-181 instead?

Edited by Comicman224

are you buying this run or do you have this run of books? 

Either way valuing a collection specially a large one takes a lot research and time as condition is everything for this hobby and prices can go up and down fairly easily if you don't know where to find prices you can subscribe to sites that give you prices of what graded books sell for such as GPA, Gocollect. if your thrifty you can go through ebay sold listings of each book (474 is a lot of searches) and collect estimated prices there. 

For me I create a sheet of the books and what I believe is the estimated grade and then go research the value of those books. you might want to do the same. 

Hopefully your familiar with grading books and have experience as it takes a lot of time and research to even be ok at grading raw books or you can buy the more expensive books slabbed by a grading company CGC and at least you know the grade. 

however you approach this welcome to the boards and Best luck 

:tink:

37 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

are you buying this run or do you have this run of books? 

Either way valuing a collection specially a large one takes a lot research and time as condition is everything for this hobby and prices can go up and down fairly easily if you don't know where to find prices you can subscribe to sites that give you prices of what graded books sell for such as GPA, Gocollect. if your thrifty you can go through ebay sold listings of each book (474 is a lot of searches) and collect estimated prices there. 

For me I create a sheet of the books and what I believe is the estimated grade and then go research the value of those books. you might want to do the same. 

Hopefully your familiar with grading books and have experience as it takes a lot of time and research to even be ok at grading raw books or you can buy the more expensive books slabbed by a grading company CGC and at least you know the grade. 

however you approach this welcome to the boards and Best luck 

:tink:

I was planning on buying this run in the future i was mainly curious on how much the full incredible hulk vol.1 run would be worth or would it be better to just buy the original 1-6 and 102-181

Just now, Comicman224 said:

I was planning on buying this run in the future i was mainly curious on how much the full incredible hulk vol.1 run would be worth or would it be better to just buy the original 1-6 and 102-181

better as in how? like for profit? or for nostalgia? or for investments?

Maybe this is just a starting point, but if you’re not willing to do a ton of research and have more money to spend on grading and can sit on your money for a while, it’s probably not gonna be worth it for you

unless you’re just looking for a chill hobby for the next period of time.  But if it’s a great deal, you can’t go wrong.  But largely it will depend on condition and price and your abilities and preferences 

Edited by revat

44 minutes ago, Comicman224 said:

For profit i was going to buy the books all together then sell 

Since you are not familiar with the values and the nuances to pricing in the hobby, this sounds like a recipe for financial disaster. You would have to buy mid-grade, especially Hulk books, for literally nothing (with the exception of the keys) in order to possibly turn a profit. Factor in your time, and whatever means you will be moving them, it is doubtful you would make enough of a profit to make it worth while. 

Edited by joeypost

27 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

you would have to sell them as singles to make maximum profit.

No one will buy the entire run in one chunk except for someone looking to sell it and that buyer needs a pretty solid discount

Makes sense would it be better to just buy and sell 1-6,180-181?

2 minutes ago, Comicman224 said:

well my opinion is those books are keys or highly collected and to acquire them now you would likely have to pay full price. You would need to sit on them for awhile before they go up in value.

6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
12 minutes ago, Comicman224 said:

well my opinion is those books are keys or highly collected and to acquire them now you would likely have to pay full price. You would need to sit on them for awhile before they go up in value.

here's the thing...at this point you're just buying blue chip stocks, which is fine. 

BUT its actually harder to do comics.  If you JUST bought stocks, you basically know the exact market price, the exact price your paying, and you can decide based on your own research if you think the price is going up or not.  You sell when you want on just the one venue.  And the tax stuff will more or less work itself out.

BUT with comics you have to pay for shipping, insurance, you're still worried about delivery TO YOU INITIALLY.  Then you have to consider pressing, restoration, grading (and the shipping and insurance that goes a long with it), and all of those costs and risks.  THere's a risk of bad grade or restoration.  Then you have to find the right venue to sell, and deal with shipping, insurance, etc.  And there's a risk of fraud or theft or damage the whole time.  And then taxes.  So there's a ton of variables.  BUT if you have a lot of skills, experience, knowledge, time, and money, THIS is where you can exploit all of those variables to make a better profit.  BUT IF YOU DON'T, which you don't seem to, the odds are way higher that you'll lose, and your money is better spent throwing it into the S&P 500 after the next bigger stock market dip...

So it depends on your own motivations and preferences. 

4 minutes ago, revat said:

here's the thing...at this point you're just buying blue chip stocks, which is fine. 

BUT its actually harder to do comics.  If you JUST bought stocks, you basically know the exact market price, the exact price your paying, and you can decide based on your own research if you think the price is going up or not.  You sell when you want on just the one venue.  And the tax stuff will more or less work itself out.

BUT with comics you have to pay for shipping, insurance, you're still worried about delivery TO YOU INITIALLY.  Then you have to consider pressing, restoration, grading (and the shipping and insurance that goes a long with it), and all of those costs and risks.  THere's a risk of bad grade or restoration.  Then you have to find the right venue to sell, and deal with shipping, insurance, etc.  And there's a risk of fraud or theft or damage the whole time.  And then taxes.  So there's a ton of variables.  BUT if you have a lot of skills, experience, knowledge, time, and money, THIS is where you can exploit all of those variables to make a better profit.  BUT IF YOU DON'T, which you don't seem to, the odds are way higher that you'll lose, and your money is better spent throwing it into the S&P 500 after the next bigger stock market dip...

So it depends on your own motivations and preferences. 

agreed.

5 hours ago, joeypost said:

“....this sounds like a recipe for financial disaster...”

+1. 

In my opinion(and I’m assuming it’s all low grade stuff), the value of this run will be based on 2 of those books (1&181). Unless you’re getting the run for less than the market value of those 2 stay away. 

Also, can you be a little more specific on what “decent” is?

Edited by c_mkv

Incredible Hulk has quite a few key issues and first appearance, that being said it’s still not in the same price quadrant as FF or ASM. The original #1-6 are rarely if ever seen and you will not find #1 OR #181 in the wild . That being said - you could find a good chunk of these in decent grade just fishing around .Im in the process of a full run myself and have only been working on it over the past year and I’m about 1/3 of the way there . I have a few of the keys - but NONE of the original 6. Once you put the work in to acquire the full run it becomes sentimental ... at least for me :p

Edited by Old_Man_Adam
Spelling

Unless you're getting a crazy good deal, like from an estate sale or well-meaning grandmother at a yard sale, the money you put into a run that size will be hard to recoup. It's been mentioned already, but time and effort are a cost, even if its a hobby.

I know if I bought a run like that, I'd first tell myself that I want to read them before I sell them. Then they'll sit in my to-read long box for a long time. Next thing you know, they've been morphed into part of my personal collection. Right now, if I buy a flip/spec book, I have to intentionally put it in one of a few designated short boxes so I don't get attached.