• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Honor of Newt's Luck . . .

14 posts in this topic

. . . maybe we should share our own car accident stories:

Here's mine--September 24, 1992, a driver ran through a red light and crashed into the driver's side door of my 85 Nissan Sentra. I was alone in the car. The side window shattered and the car was totaled; amazingly, the only injury I received was a small cut on the back of my right hand.

My first major accident came when I was traveling down a straight secondary road going the speed limit of 35 mph...a van that was 1/4 of a mile ahead was stopped in the other lane apparently waiting to turn left into an apartment complex...as I came upon the van he decides the proper time to turn was just as I was upon him...needless to say my (I think 1982)chevy S-10 was no match for the much larger white box van when we collided head on ...

I ended up with a couple of cracked ribs when my body slammed into the steering wheel bending it completly in half... a couple cracked front teeth from when my face slammed into something (I assume also the steering wheel)...I must've passed out for a minute or so because there were people around me when I awoke...

Oh well...I survived what in retrospect looked like a crash that was unsurvivable... acclaim.gif

I crashed into a hedge.

It was my driving test foreheadslap.gif

The first thing I did the first time I took my driving test I went through a red light. Un - frickin' believable.

Probably on the wrong side of the road too... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've posted these before but for those that haven't seen them...

Fell asleep at the wheel on I-65 around 2 AM just outside Charlottesville, VA in 1988. Had the cruise control set at 55/60MPH and went straight off the road after hitting a curve in the road. As you can see the car flipped a couple of times and broke down some fair sized trees as it piled straight into the forest. Luckily, me and my passenger came out with just minor scratches despite ending the ride in the back seat. We exited the car through the back window...

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Jim

I crashed into a hedge.

The first thing I did the first time I took my driving test I went through a red light. Un - frickin' believable.

You english people are all alike. There's no way I'm driving in London! makepoint.gif

I crashed into a hedge.

You english people are all alike. There's no way I'm driving in London! makepoint.gif

That was 23 years ago - I passed second time, and since then no problems. We actually obey our traffic laws, dammit!!!

I crashed into a hedge.

That was 23 years ago - I passed second time, and since then no problems. We actually obey our traffic laws, dammit!!!

I passed second time too 3 minors cloud9.gif

My first test had 4 majors and 10 minors blush.gif

he stopped me after the "accident" sorry.gif

I crashed into a hedge.

I passed second time too 3 minors cloud9.gif

My first test had 4 majors and 10 minors blush.gif

he stopped me after the "accident" sorry.gif

screwy.gif

It was the first day of spring break, senior year in high school, and I was headed to Syracuse University to audition to be a drama major. I had some last minute errands to run. I had the dog in the car, as she always insisted on coming, and since I was catching a cold, I opened the passenger window for her to hang her head out of. Usually, she was in the back seat, hanging out the driver's window. We started down our tree-lined street, and she jumped from the front seat to the back, unhappy with the new seating arrangement. Unfortunately, it was a small car, and she went right over my right shoulder. I ducked, so she wouldn't slam into me, and the move made my left hand turn the wheel. That's all it took. I looked up, saw a tree, and a millisecond later I'd plowed into it. I broke the dashboard in two with my knee as I tried to get to the brake.

I had seatbelts on, but the shoulder harness only worked if the brake was hit. I hadn't made it to the brake. Although my lap belt kept me from flying through the window, the failed shoulder harness allowed me to slam into the steering wheel. I smashed my face up pretty bad. Broke the bone under my nose, teeth went through my bottom lip, nose flattened, and so on. Miraculously, I didn't lose any teeth, or break my nose. I looked like a possessed Linda Blair in the Excorcist. Black and blue, horribly swollen face, black eyes, smashed nose, couldn't move my jaw -- just a big mess. You know how fun it is to be a senior in high school, with prom and graduation coming up, and you look like a hideous freak? Ah, the memories!

That was my worst crash. The other bad one I was a passenger. Got rear-ended while stopped for a fire truck with sirens blaring. The driver and I both got severe whiplash. My neck still goes out on me occasionally, with no warning. With that accident, we did sue, because it was a company van with no insurance, and we had medical bills, physical therapy, and car repairs to pay for. The company turned out to be owned by crooks, and it became quite a legal entanglement, but eventually we got a settlement. The money came through the day before the San Diego con, so I took the train to SD and had the biggest comic book spending spree of my life. I bought a bunch of GA Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics, and hundreds of beater silver age DCs. I bought so many books that I filled my suitcase and the suitcase of a friend.

Just thought I'd tie all this into comics.

-- Joanna

In the early 80's a friend of mine & co-worker drowned during his school trip to Hawaii, frown.gif I remember to this day how he'd always dreamed to see Hawaii & he could'nt wait to go....Well on the way to the the burial,driving my big early 1970's something Ford LTD..in the funeral procession..I had taken my eye off the road,then BLAMMMM!..rear ended someone.Totally smashing the back of the car,the back doors would'nt even open.

As anyone back in the day can attest drivin a Ford LTD they're... well built like a "tank" they say,unlike todays cars.Well my car had no damage at all....believe it or not.Needless to say we all had a big laugh back at work & I was at the butt end of many jokes & laughs for weeks to come.... 27_laughing.gif