• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2022 at 7:51 AM, jsilverjanet said:

just watched it and i enjoyed it again

(shrug)

I enjoyed it too. probably laughed more than episode 1. i really don't think this is geared to the 50+ and over group. look at the music choices and soundtrack. 

On 8/25/2022 at 8:58 PM, gadzukes said:

Episode 1 didn't do much for me.  My thought was "OK... get the "origin" exposition out of the way and the real show starts with episode 2."

I give Episode 1 a 5/10

I kind of liked episode 2.  Characters fleshed out a little more.  New characters introduced, including her family.  I'm going to give it a 6.5/10.

I'm going to keep watching and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I agree

On 8/26/2022 at 7:01 AM, Artboy99 said:

an interesting observation from episode 2: Earlier in the episode when Jen is looking for a job she is looking at alternate job possibilities because she can't get hired as a lawyer due to her She-Hulk persona and one of the links is about working as a mascot. Then later in the episode she is hired by a law firm to head the new superhero division but is required to be in She-Hulk form. So hasn't she become the mascot of the company? Is this actually intended by the writers, because if so it is very clever and I say well done. ( the reality is it is more likely a coincidence because most of the show is so poorly written. Example: why do all the important meetings for Jen about job loss and job hiring happen in a bar????)

i've gotten lots of job opportunities in bars. it's called networking. 

On 8/26/2022 at 2:07 PM, Lpgk said:

I enjoyed it too. probably laughed more than episode 1. i really don't think this is geared to the 50+ and over group. look at the music choices and soundtrack. 

I’m 49 lol

On 8/26/2022 at 7:55 PM, gadzukes said:

They make Professional Legal attire out of Spandex now :golfclap:

Is Professional Legal attire a thing?? :whatthe:

On 8/26/2022 at 3:18 PM, Boozad said:

Is Professional Legal attire a thing?? :whatthe:

I can't remember the last time that I wore dress clothes to the office.  For that matter, when do I see more than five people at my work all at once.  Most of our staff are still working from home.

Edited by piper

On 8/25/2022 at 12:08 PM, drotto said:

They even said she was either an Assiatant Or Deputy District Attorney (forget which), which means she has already moved up the ranks to some degree.  Seeing that she is in her mid 30's and she has already risen respectably, she was doing well career wise (at least till the events of this episode). No evidence shevwas being held back.

And instead of looking at her new position as an opportunity to be the first in her field to tackle something that is sure to grow, to be a PIONEER in super-hero law, she instead uses it as another opportunity to play victim on some/any level.

They could have had her follow Riri Williams's lead by having her take the chance to prove the toxicity wrong. That's a failed opportunity for some kind of character growth in the show. 

On 8/26/2022 at 8:01 AM, Artboy99 said:

why do all the important meetings for Jen about job loss and job hiring happen in a bar????)

Obviously, the entire legal community knows where to find her.

What better way for the writers to make sure her life is filled with outrage than by having her hang out in a sports bar patroned with knuckle-draggers? Time will tell if she runs into a jerk in every/most episode(s) with a bar scene. So far, 2 for 2.

The writing is very amateur IMO. Jessica Gao even said,

And one thing that all realized very slowly is that none of us are very adept at writing, you know, rousing trial scenes

It sure does sound like a well-researched casting hiring, unless she was cast hired for other reasons.

I'm sure I come off as though I'm seething over this, and maybe I am. Look at it like a sports fan who waited his whole life for his team to start putting out good gameplay, and for several years they finally do. So, he gladly starts buying tickets for every game and is mostly satisfied, accepting the occasional lapse. Suddenly after their biggest (end)game, it's a few lackluster years of steady decline, and the front office brags about it. The team (source material) hasn't changed. It's all because of the new ownership and coaching staff.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, Lpgk said:

i've gotten lots of job opportunities in bars. it's called networking. 

Yeah I get that I just didn't expect the job offer to come from a law firm while she was there. I literally just did a meeting with several lawyers and a few drinks were had in a very casual setting. BUT the work and business discussion/job offer will happen another day in more professional settings. "Here is my card, contact me Monday". "Come to the office next week" etc.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, MR SigS said:

And instead of looking at her new position as an opportunity to be the first in her field to tackle something that is sure to grow, to be a PIONEER in super-hero law, she instead uses it as another opportunity to play victim on some/any level.

They could have had her follow Riri Williams's lead by having her take the chance to prove the toxicity wrong. That's a failed opportunity for some kind of character growth in the show. 

Obviously, the entire legal community knows where to find her.

What better way for the writers to make sure her life is filled with outrage than by having her hang out in a sports bar patroned with knuckle-draggers? Time will tell if she runs into a jerk in every/most episode(s) with a bar scene. So far, 2 for 2.

The writing is very amateur IMO. Jessica Gao even said,

It sure does sound like a well-researched casting hiring, unless she was cast hired for other reasons.

I'm sure I come off as though I'm seething over this, and maybe I am. Look at it like a sports fan who waited his whole life for his team to start putting out good gameplay, and for several years they finally do. So, he gladly starts buying tickets for every game and is mostly satisfied, accepting the occasional lapse. Suddenly after their biggest (end)game, it's a few lackluster years of steady decline, and the front office brags about it. The team (source material) hasn't changed. It's all because of the new ownership and coaching staff.

I definitely understand and find your sports analogy very relatable. I had lunch with a friend today and as it always happens when we get together we discussed Marvel and She-Hulk came up. I don't dislike the show, I just know it could be better. I mentioned to my friend that I know I am very critical of these shows but it is because they have made such amazing films as the first Iron Man, or Captain America Winter Soldier or Avengers Infinity War. The bar was set to that level for me, and instead of striving for that level again I am seeing them take short-cuts and the quality is diminishing and now it is to the point where we get Thor Love and Thunder. :(  I honestly can not believe Marvel writers took the character of Thor from where he was at in Avengers Infinity War to where he is now. And worse is the studio executives that ultimately are the ones who green light these projects gave that the thumbs up.

On 8/26/2022 at 2:06 PM, Artboy99 said:

Yeah I get that I just didn't expect the job offer to come from a law firm while she was there. I literally just did a meeting with several lawyers and a few drinks were had in a very casual setting. BUT the work and business discussion/job offer will happen another day in more professional settings. "Here is my card, contact me Monday". "Come to the office next week" etc.

well this is the MCU and it's a 30 minute show geared towards millenials. Don't expect Better Call Saul levels of story development and legal wrangling. 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:28 PM, Lpgk said:

well this is the MCU and it's a 30 minute show geared towards millenials. Don't expect Better Call Saul levels of story development and legal wrangling. 

Well you have nailed it, you are right i shouldnt be expecting their greatest work.

And actually they dont even have 30 minutes, i think episode 2 was less than that.

Edited by Artboy99

On 8/26/2022 at 8:38 PM, Lpgk said:

when it's closing time at the bar, sometimes you take what you can get LOL

Trust me, after listening to people pontificate for 8 hours in a meeting, when they decide to continue in the "bar downstairs"...Hugh Jackman wouldn't have looked good;)