• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 12:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

That first episode scene where Jennifer tells Bruce how she has suffered much more than him because of her being a woman is getting a lot of attention.

But it is getting to the point when these Youtube reviewers don't go far enough in trash the show, they are then having subscribers disconnect and attack them. Men felt the scene was far too preachy.

it was super preachy.

My concern for the show is that Jen has been given all the power and none of the liabilities of being a Hulk. So she starts off "better than you(Bruce)" by her own admission.

So where do you go from there for her character arc? Dating apps and casual sex according to the trailers. :facepalm:

The show will be about the situations she gets into (I.E. SitCom) and never go beyond that. Maybe the writers can come up with some clever comedy scenarios for She-Hulk to explore that will be fun and make me laugh so I shall remain hopeful.

In a recent interview with Variety, She-Hulk: Attorney at Law showrunner, Jessica Gao, revealed that episode 1 was originally episode 8 of the show. According to Gao, the penultimate episode was to reveal the titular hero's superpower origin. However, after filming, the writing team concluded that the series needed to show a lot more information earlier to inform the story. This caused much of episode 8 to be edited and moved to episode 1 during post-production. 

"The episode order was slightly different — we changed things up a little bit in post. Most of the pilot that you see was actually Episode 8. We waited until the very end of the season to really reveal her origin story."

"There were several factors leading up to the decision, but really at the end of the day, we just realized people really wanted to know that information sooner. It was hard for them to not know the origin story and then get to know this character."

On 8/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, Artboy99 said:

Jen's rant about controlling her anger "because I do it infinitely better than YOU" was written without considering the history of what Bruce has actually dealt with. The death of Natasha, and go further into his history his Father literally killed his Mother, and being related in the family you would think Jen would know these things. Like I said in an earlier post: I would love it if these characters could be written with some humility and have mutual respect. Jen should appreciate Bruce's help but is very dismissive which makes her very unlikable. 

I'd be invested, but smart hulk sucks

watched episode 2.

Spoiler

Jen and her paralegal go to a bar where the people inside are chanting "She-Hulk! She-Hulk!" they go in and start drinking. Her boss shows up at the bar to talk to her, and requires she change from She-Hulk form to human form where the booze takes hold and she is drunk and falls off her chair. Jen gets fired from her job while out at the bar drinking because her case was considered a mistrial because of the fight that occurred between She-Hulk and Titania (who was dressed in a very weird outfit in episode 1 by the way, I still don't get that choice).

She pays a visit to her family where we finally meet a man she actually will listen to: her Father.

After being rejected by many other law firms for employment due to the potential issues of her being a Hulk she goes to the bar to have a few drinks. I am noticing Jen may have a drinking problem since in 2 episodes she is in bars a lot! She gets approached by a law firm while drinking and is hired to represent their new "super hero" division and for her first case is to specifically represent Emil Blonsky.

I find it strange that her previous boss knew to find her at the bar, and so does her new boss. I would think a law firm interested in hiring her would contact her to arrange a meeting in their office but I guess we don't need to show that and we can just have the guy offer her a job while she is drinking at a bar.  Whatever.

As she has a conflict of interest since Blonsky tried to kill her cousin she rejects the case to then find out if she doesn't take the case on she doesn't have a job. Jen then meets Emil Blonsky in his specialized cell and they have a conversation. Blonsky is writing haikus(?) and says he feels some remorse for the damage and deaths he caused but blames it on the government for pumping him full of the super-soldier formula and ordering him to take on the threat of the Hulk. Jen isn't sure she should take the case on but knows she has a case and how to proceed in representing Emil. She phones Bruce to discuss the new job and representing Blonsky and Bruce is absolutely fine with her taking on the case and he is shown flying away in the Sakaarian ship. Nice to know cell phones have such range :P.

Jen calls her new boss to inform him that she is taking on the case. Her new boss tells her to turn on the TV where Jen learns that Blonsky has escaped from his prison and was video'd fighting in the underground fight club we saw in Shang-Chi. Oh-no!

End credits roll.

I give it a 5 out of 10, it is basically what I expected to see. I think it is supposed to be a sit-com but I note I didn't laugh at all watching episode 2 as there wasn't anything funny in my opinion but the show did its job and I will watch episode 3. Hopefully you guys liked it.

Edited by Artboy99

Episode 2, the definition of bland.  Nothing to get offended at here.  It did enough to push the overall plot forward a bit.  Had a lot of setup, but no payoff in the episode ( ok an expected one maybe).

Jennifer was a bit pulled back, and humbled, which was nice to see. However, this show does not know what it is. It is billed as a sitcom,  a comedy.  But, it did not feel like they were writing jokes, just some typical Marvel quips. The episode played out like the typical Marvel Disney + formula, not something different, when they desperately advertised it as different. 

5/10

Edited by drotto

I am choosing to ignore the preachy “life-is-difficult-because-I-am-a-woman” schtick because aside from that, I really enjoyed it. (Give me a break, a over-privleged lawyer having a “tough life” at their law firm? Puh-lease. I can think of a dozen scenarios where women had tough lives, and none of them involved wearing a suit to their job)

I love the idea of being us some low-level street villains that are sorely missing from the MCU. Not all villains need to take over the world, we need some that simply rob jewelry stores. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Marvel needs to take a page from the CW playbook and get us some non-omega threat bad guys.

but, the minute this series turns into a 10k Man Stomp like Handmaid’s Tale, I’m gone.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/25/2022 at 2:25 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am choosing to ignore the preachy “life-is-difficult-because-I-am-a-woman” schtick because aside from that, I really enjoyed it. (Give me a break, a over-privleged lawyer having a “tough life” at their law firm? Puh-lease. I can think of a dozen scenarios where women had tough lives, and none of them involved wearing a suit to their job)

I love the idea of being us some low-level street villains that are sorely missing from the MCU. Not all villains need to take over the world, we need some that simply rob jewelry stores. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Marvel needs to take a page from the CW playbook and get us some non-omega threat bad guys.

but, the minute this series turns into a 10k Man Stomp like Handmaid’s Tale, I’m gone.

They even said she was either an Assiatant Or Deputy District Attorney (forget which), which means she has already moved up the ranks to some degree.  Seeing that she is in her mid 30's and she has already risen respectably, she was doing well career wise (at least till the events of this episode). No evidence shevwas being held back.

I haven't watched episode 2, but I feel confident that the overall story arc will involve her confidence being shattered and learning that she needs support/help from others.

Finally got around to watching the first episode, 2nd will be this weekend. First impression was much better than Hawkey, Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel. Yes this is my opinion but will continue to watch the entire series. Just like I watched the rest. 

On 8/25/2022 at 4:17 PM, piper said:

I haven't watched episode 2, but I feel confident that the overall story arc will involve her confidence being shattered and learning that she needs support/help from others.

bingo-hans-landa.gif.cb852d435d4b30bbe733209ca251c07e.gif

I just finished Episode 2.

I don't completely dislike the show. But this is no where near Hawkeye nor Loki.

I am hoping the disdain for what men go through  (or lack there of from her point of view) is the character at a point in time and not the direction of the show itself - including its messaging. Even her former law partner walking off saying he was going to talk up a 'hot chick' to get it seemed like it was implying men are all about tail and blind to what matters.

The little joke about Ed Norton's Hulk was cringe. But so brief, if you blink it goes by rapidly. But Professor Hulk is really bothering me.

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/24/2022 at 4:43 PM, Artboy99 said:

Jen's rant about controlling her anger "because I do it infinitely better than YOU" was written without considering the history of what Bruce has actually dealt with. The death of Natasha, and go further into his history his Father literally killed his Mother, and being related in the family you would think Jen would know these things. Like I said in an earlier post: I would love it if these characters could be written with some humility and have mutual respect. Jen should appreciate Bruce's help but is very dismissive which makes her very unlikable. 

All of this is absolutely true, she appears like a stereotypical beotch shamefully framed to be a strong, confident, 4th wave feminist (which are indistinguishable from this appearance), DisneyPLUS....

"infinitely better"

you-keep-using-that-word-meme.jpg.041c1f9f257d0ede421bb031190618b9.jpg

Time to cancel Disney and wait until Mando3 comes out to re-up.

Edited by jcjames