• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Historic Date Stamps

39 posts in this topic

I know some folks don't like date stamps on their books, but I've always kind of liked them.

I always like to look at the stamp & wonder just what was going on that particular day. Unfortunately, I don't have to wonder what went on this day. (for anyone who can't see the pic, the date is: April 4, 1968)

I wondered if anyone else had a book with a date stamp on it that coincided with an historic date?

im30gt.jpg

MLK. I remember the day. I was in school in the 8th grade when the announcement came. Then, that June 5, it was RFK. We thought the world was going crazy.

That would be a very cool thing to collect. I would have to assume it would become a passion as it might be very hard to find some dates. But, that is very cool.

Did comics back then come out on everyday of the week?

When I was a kid in Ohio in the early 70s they came out Tuesdays and Thursdays (4/4/68 was a Thursday), but that doesnt preclude issues being date stamped by a retailer a day or so later. I'm also guessing that at some point comics were distributed on different days in different parts of the country - and perhaps even different days in the same state depending on distance from regional distribution centers. Still, certain date stamps are likely non-existant - like Sundays.

Well, all I can offer it that since I started collecting Green Rivers and compiling scans of legitimate copies.....I have the equivalent of a sampling of many of what the actual stamped dates look like. I have already begun to construct a list of "markers" to determine if a stamp is authentic or not.

Not saying it would be impossible to fake, but it will be getting increasingly tough to slip one by. No, I don't think it would be that easy. And not worth the trouble.

I'm just speaking of the GRs of course.

Red

Well, all I can offer it that since I started collecting Green Rivers and compiling scans of legitimate copies.....I have the equivalent of a sampling of many of what the actual stamped dates look like. I have already begun to construct a list of "markers" to determine if a stamp is authentic or not.

Not saying it would be impossible to fake, but it will be getting increasingly tough to slip one by. No, I don't think it would be that easy. And not worth the trouble.

I'm just speaking of the GRs of course.

Red

I was thinking more along the lines of the "average drug store copy"...

I've owned a few from time-to-time, and I thought they were nice historic "marks",

but if there was ever an actual "value" given to them, they would be easy to fake.

(Kind of like the reason that autographed books don't sell for more than they do...)

Closest one I have.....exactly two weeks later to the day......the odds are good there are some out there with the exact date.......it's a Tuesday....a popular distributor delivery day.

sgtfury17big.jpg

Not bad! I have an 80 Page Giant #15 with the original Thrifty Drug receipt slipped between its pages, dated about a week after I was born. That book is only about VF, but I doubt I'll ever upgrade.