• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Annual #6

10 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, davet75 said:

The major defect is actually the full book-length vertical color-breaking creases on the right edge of the cover.  That will keep the book out of any Fine category. The chip is the lesser defect and could be found in up to Fine grades.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm guilty of sometimes putting too much weight (positively or negatively) on what I personally see as a major/minor defect and not going straight by "the book". Not sure who decided what is considered a major vs minor flaw? But it is what it is. For example, if I didn't know otherwise, I'd put much less of a negative for a centerfold detached at one staple than defects on the front cover. 

19 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm guilty of sometimes putting too much weight (positively or negatively) on what I personally see as a major/minor defect and not going straight by "the book". Not sure who decided what is considered a major vs minor flaw? But it is what it is. For example, if I didn't know otherwise, I'd put much less of a negative for a centerfold detached at one staple than defects on the front cover. 

There's been a lot of discussion on this board regarding technical Overstreet grading standards vs CGC standards.  You can search the boards and read the indepth discussion.  They agree on most standards but diverge on some major issues like stains (CGC is harsh), missing pieces (CGC more lenient), and detached staples (CGC more lenient).  I personally love key books that are technically low grade but appear much better, as they are affordable and still nicely presenting. 

4 minutes ago, davet75 said:

There's been a lot of discussion on this board regarding technical Overstreet grading standards vs CGC standards

It might be a naive opinion, but I'd think that with the heavy emphasis on slabbed books in the last, what 5-10 years?, that the cover appearance would be of greater importance than years past. All you can visually inspect in a slabbed book is the front and back cover. 

2 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

It might be a naive opinion, but I'd think that with the heavy emphasis on slabbed books in the last, what 5-10 years?, that the cover appearance would be of greater importance than years past. All you can visually inspect in a slabbed book is the front and back cover. 

Nope.  Overall technical structure and condition of the book determine the grade.  A NM looking book with the cover neatly detached at both staples will grade no higher than a 3.0 or a 9.4 Q (green label) even though you can't see the detachment with the book in the slab.  The value could be as low as 10% of NM  9.4 price depending on the book.  Again, that's why I love those books.  Great value for a great (apparent) looking book.

59 minutes ago, davet75 said:

A NM looking book with the cover neatly detached at both staples will grade no higher than a 3.0

I agree that's what it would grade as. But that's kind of my issue with the grading scale. I'd think you'd factor in scarcity. Take a 1965 book that looks like a NM except for the detached staples. How many books that old would otherwise present as NM? Seems like that would be rare. But the cover is detached so now it gets graded down like all the common worn out copies. Just doesn't make sense to me. But structural integrity and all that I guess?

11 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

I agree that's what it would grade as. But that's kind of my issue with the grading scale. I'd think you'd factor in scarcity. Take a 1965 book that looks like a NM except for the detached staples. How many books that old would otherwise present as NM? Seems like that would be rare. But the cover is detached so now it gets graded down like all the common worn out copies. Just doesn't make sense to me. But structural integrity and all that I guess?

I agree that not all 3.0 (or 6.0s, 8.5s and 9.4s) are all the same.  Books with the same grade can look very different depending on their defects.  It really depends on the buyers and the market to determine the value based on scarcity and/or presentation.  Here's an example from a recent sales thread where I picked up a gorgeous book that is relatively hard to find for a great price, that is technically low grade.  I'd pick this book over a typically worn 3.0 any day.

Edited by davet75

9 minutes ago, davet75 said:

example from a recent sales thread

The Witchcraft #5 one? What an awesome book, especially the cover. Definitely "presents" much better than a 1.5. I'm jealous.

I love the pre-code horror books with the girl in peril covers.

Edited by WPPJames