• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Philly Con Report

8 posts in this topic

For those of you in the Philly area, I encourage you to go check out the show, as I always have a good time there. I generally run into the "usuals" Brett (Solar) and Bob Siman (namisgr). Today I went because I was helping to broker a sale to Gary Platt from a collector friend of mine. I was only able to sell some of the books, but that's more because the asking price was aggressive to a dealer. On my own personal front, I moved an FF 26, GL 76 and Nick Fury #4 to Gary at a very nice cash price. If you go to the east coast shows like the Big Apple, and some of the smaller shows in Philly and New Jersey, I would always check him out. Gary is always buying and is fair to deal with. Not to mention that he's responsible for a great part of my education as a collector.

Somehow, I managed to spend 4 hours at the show today. I looked around quite a bit, but did not see anything that I really wanted to pull the trigger on. Nonetheless, I was able to pick up some really nice stuff. I was walking by T & T Comics and picked up a nice looking slabbed CGC 6.0 cr/ow JLA 21. Very nice, and I paid a very reasonable price of $90. I saw one dealer who was very friendly and knowledgable, but unfortunately, as I have known for years, as prices that are very high. Nonetheless, I took a look at several DC keys including a GL #1, Brave and the Bold 34, Brave and the Bold 28 and many others. Didn't buy anything, but still a whole lot of fun to look. I moved on to a dealer from Va who was new to the show who had some very nice books (mostly from a personal collection it looked like) and managed to pick up some truly wonderful books. An Aquaman 46 (great Cardy cover!), Aquaman 56 (both nice VF+ books), Thor 196 NM, and Phantom Stranger 18 (VF) and 26 (VF). I was pleased since he was so easy going and easy to deal with and paid a sweetheart price. I also picked up a couple of beauties from Bob who was peddling a box of goodies (but you sold those JIMs to Gary!!!! too bad... I was too late... ) and picked up a sweet FF 46 (VF/VF+) and Brave and the Bold 81 (VF/NM). Finally, on the way out the door, I picked up some random Batman Adventures books, and a few Caps from 336-350 for 33 cents a piece. Very nice since they were all 9.4s and good reads. You can't go wrong for that price!

The atmosphere behind the show was a lot of fun, and I enjoy seeing the dealers there. Derek Woywood runs a nice show, and I hope that some of the issues regarding attendence will be righted. I guess my own personal feeling would be that moving it into Center City, while more expensive, would make it a bigger draw. Center City is very empty on Sundays, so getting in and out for dealers would be pretty easy. I might suggest it because you could build the show, and perhaps convince the local bigger dealers (like say, a Joe Verenault, but good luck) to do the show. It's as much fun to see the local collector who's a weekend warrior selling his collection... much easier to find a deal!

The hottest book (modern) was Wonder Woman 219, which has basically sold out everywhere. Nobody's got it, and the one copy that was left (after Brett cleaned everyone out) was going at $10... and I was not keen on paying that price. I was able to secure 7 from an LCS... so I wasn't that upset, but if your LCS has copies left... you'd best get them quick. This book will be hot during Infinite Crisis. Plus, it is so pivotal to the upcoming storyline and so underordered... this might be the book to get. Has $25 written all over it.

Anyway, if you are in the area, come to a show! It'll be fun. You won't get a NM FF#1, but you will undoubtedly find one or two books you'll be looking for.

I enjoyed the show as well, and it was fun to chat "off-line" with Brian about some of the current issues in the hobby.

In the virtual absence of high grade early Silver, I focused instead on early Bronze. I fear that the show is losing most of its major Silver age dealers, who consider the monthly schlepp to be too much work and instead save themselves for the big shows and the internet. Still, there's plenty of variety and a surprising amount of Gold to be had, and so I, too, would encourage anyone within an easy drive of the Philly airport to give the show a try. I was even able to score a gorgeous raw Northland copy of TOS50 as my lone early Silver age buy.

Here's an example of a sweet bronze purchase:

IF8.jpg

It was good chatting offline for me too Bob. I have my own sort of "way" of discussing things going on, and a lot of it is just frustration of some of the endless discussions that are going on about the same issues that come up again and again. I echo the sentiment that I am seeing a fleeing of silver age dealers, and I think the ones remaining need to take another look at some of the pricing. Collectors will buy at shows when the prices are at least slightly in line with what they can get elsewhere, and not just ebay. When I can buy books off Pedigree and Comiclink routinely for 60% of your sticker, then that is a problem. Then again, that guy from VA who came up was actually a pleasant surprise.

Derek Woywood runs a nice show, and I hope that some of the issues regarding attendence will be righted. I guess my own personal feeling would be that moving it into Center City, while more expensive, would make it a bigger draw

There's no question that if this event was moved to CC, I'd probably go to every show.

The Philly con was great this month. I skipped the past show or two as I was getting tired of the same dealers with the same stock every month, but it was nice to be back. I wandered around for 3 hours, talking to all the usual collectors and dealers I run into at the show. It's always great seeing Brian and Bob at the show thumbsup2.gif

I've been collecting art almost exclusively since last winter so I decided to change pace a bit and ended up with a bunch of modern junk 893whatthe.gif

1st I raided the $2/$5 guy whose name I can never remember and for $25 ended up with:

NM/MT Punisher 1 (regular)

NM Maxx 1 Glow in the Dark Retailer Variant

Warren Ellis Hellblazer TPB

X-O Manowar 1 signed by somebody I haven't yet deciphered

and a flawless Omega Men 3 (1st Lobo, yeah, it's worthless)

Then I went over to the TPB guy and bought the new INVINCIBLE hardcover with issues 1-13 for $25 (30% off). I'm really looking forward to reading this one as it's supposedly amazing.

Next, I remembered that Wonder Woman 219 is apparantly the hot flip of the summer and scoured the show for every copy I could find. I ended up with 4, 3 of which look to be future CGC 9.8s.

Finally, before leaving, I hit the ATM and bought possibly the worst condition bronze/modern book I've ever intentionally purchased. It's a VG Hulk 181 missing the MVS and the other coupon I cant remember. tongue.gif

Overall, not a bad way to spend a lazy Sunday morning.

EDIT: Aha, it appears the X-0 mystery sig is that of former Valiant publisher/bigwig/@ss clown Steve Massarsky. So much for that book 27_laughing.gif

Then again, that guy from VA who came up was actually a pleasant surprise.

Brian, what was his name?

Tim, the "new" guy from VA was Damien (don't know the last name), whose personal collecting specialty is war books. Recently moved east from Tucson. Had a few really nice Bronze and underground books, as well as alot of the war stuff.