• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 238 Canadian Edition
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Me again... This time with a "rare" newstand canadian edition of ASM 238.

Besides a grade, I would like an answer to these two questions :

1 - How much does the defect on the upper left corner (the black box with the little Spidey) affect the grade? How many points do I loose because of this?

2- What about the writing on the back cover?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and improving my knowledge!

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

Edited by Pangolin

Nice book! The writing on the back is negligible. Book could be flawless and have that writing and still be high grade like a 9.4 or 9.6. Pretty much just keeps it from a 9.8.

That rip though and some staple stress and corner are the major flaws. As is, I am at 7.0-7.5. Without the rip in the upper left corner I think this has 8.5-9.0 potential.

Edited by comicginger1789

Thank you all for your time.

On 9/8/2019 at 5:59 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Nice book! The writing on the back is negligible.

Any kind of writing is negligible? Is a date on a newstand edition treated differently than someone who has written his name on the comic? Is the size of a writing taken into consideration?

54 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Thank you all for your time.

Any kind of writing is negligible? Is a date on a newstand edition treated differently than someone who has written his name on the comic? Is the size of a writing taken into consideration?

I'll clarify, apologies for not expanding my thought.

On a book in the VG to Fine range (4.0-6.0), writing like you have is negligible. If there is a date stamp or an unobtrusive pen date like yours on a comic, it generally does not factor heavily or at all for these grade. For books higher in the 7.0-9.8 range, it starts to weigh in. I doubt a book that is near perfect but has writing like yours comes back at 9.8. Likely 9.4-9.6. If its a perfect book with a name written on the inside cover or margin of the first page, again it is still possible to achieve 9.0-9.4 but unlikely higher. 

If writing is scribbled all over the cover then it will detract greatly because it takes away from the cover. The writing on your comic does not do that. So assuming yours did not have that tear, I would say you could be in the 8.5-9.0 range (you have some light staple wear and corner blunting). The writing would not really bump it lower or higher at this point because it is in an unobtrusive spot. If it were someone's name scrawled on the back, it would likely be larger and take up more space and perhaps bump it down a half grade.

Writing is tricky but this is what I have noticed having collected a while and looked at a lot of CGC books. For me, a date like yours or a date stamp or even a grease pencil mark is cool. I also don't mind a nice comic with a name neatly written on the inside margin. It will have some affect on the grade the higher the condition of the book is otherwise.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, kimik said:

The tears are at the staple, right? If yes, the cover still attached? 

In any case, 5.0 - 5.5 depending on the grader if it is attached. Detached would put it lower.

The tears are at the staple and the cover not attached... Thanks for your input.

Edited by Pangolin
made a mistake on the description in my answer. Cover not attached

The lowest I would it be is 6.5 because FN + is an above-average collectible with a major defect and some smaller defects, or a significant accumulation of small defects.

22 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

It is a kinda ugly tear but to have it be 5.0!? Now I’m curious what this would grade.....

I will put it on ebay for sale and use an Authenticity and Grade Review by CGC. So we will know if we are below or above 6.0.