• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing restored silver age keys

2 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there is any kind of rule-of-thumb that dealers or higher volume sellers use for pricing restored books for silver age keys.  I have a DD1 that I knew had some restoration and it was rejected from CCS because the color touch was not reversible.  I'd say the book is a 4.5 with OW pages.  There just are not a lot of comps for restoration codes on GPA so gauging value is tough.  Do people use an across the board haircut over 90 day GPA universal, say a 30% haircut?  Less, more?  If the book has a $1693 90 day avg what is a reasonable asking price with amateur restoration that is very slight?

On 9/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, Darthbryan said:

...if there is any kind of rule-of-thumb that dealers or higher volume sellers use for pricing restored books for silver age keys...

So many others before have attempted to mandate Ten Commandment-like rules for us (sellers & buyers) to abide by, however, the MARKET, who may not be knowledgeable of such declarations, is the ultimate determing factor...

In reality, there are many, many active variables influx which one should consider to price a restored Silver Age Key #1 book for sale...

Most importantly, it's my recommendation that nearly none of the restored Marvel Silver Age Key #1's should be price comparable. Each one should be valuated separate from any others. In other words, the last sale on GPA for a restored 8.0, Fantastic Four #1, should not be used to valuate a restored 8.0, X-Men #1...nor a comparable example of Daredevil #1. Thereby erasing the usefulness of a broad interpretation, or any rule-of-thumb, for pricing ALL restored Marvel Silver Age Key #1 books...

Commenting on just the restored 8.0, Fantastic Four #1, there is an approximate 90% sale price difference between it's unrestored counterpart...according to GPA public sales data.

The current sales 'data', & most recent Market behaviour, suggests that many of the 'Major' Marvel Silver Age Key #1's may be 'undervalued'...although unlikely, perhaps restored DD #1's are too... 

P.S. In a time before the Information Superhighway allowed for the 'correction' in prices of the comic book back issue market, a [now much older] LCS owner explained, "As long as it's graded right, you can price it at whatever you want!"