• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Batman #189

10 posts in this topic

This book has a fully detached centerfold. Remainder of interior is fine. A little minor rust on staples. Because of this I have no idea how to grade. Plan on selling but want to list at a fair grade. I'm leaning towards a 2.5/3.0. Is that too high?

CCF09102019_00000.jpg

CCF09102019_00001.jpg

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

Edited by WPPJames

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

is there any spine splits or tears if so I would be comfortable saying 3.0 

No, none of those. It's a really nice book minus the centerfold detachment. Outside chance I might consider getting it slabbed. Worth it? And, not sure if this is an option, but go with a lower grade Blue label or a higher grade Green label of death? Have also heard that CBCS is sometimes kinder in grading detached centerfolds than CGC. No idea if that has any validity? Opinions?

16 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

No, none of those. It's a really nice book minus the centerfold detachment. Outside chance I might consider getting it slabbed. Worth it? And, not sure if this is an option, but go with a lower grade Blue label or a higher grade Green label of death? Have also heard that CBCS is sometimes kinder in grading detached centerfolds than CGC. No idea if that has any validity? Opinions?

for that choice I would look at completed sales or GPA and see what a green label in a high grade would get compared to one knocked down. but in this low range I don't think the green label will get much higher. So I would look at Blue labels compared to green and make the choice on that. As for CBCS don't know much about their grading as I only have a few books and not much experience with them. 

But for my personal preference I usually take Voldy books at raw grade value with maybe a bump down in grade. That's a personal preference of mine and is no way a slight against CBCS. 

Since I already wrongfully morphed this into a discussion on grading companies... CGC is the gold standard. I think everyone agrees on that. And a CGC book will sell for more $$$ than a CBCS of same grade. But if the exact same book is a CGC 9.2 or a CBCS 9.6, which has a higher resell value? Perhaps more importantly, would I be morally suspect in selling the CBCS 9.6? I'm no comic expert, but there are a lot of people less experienced than me out there. If one of them buys my CBCS 9.6 just because it's "so much cheaper" than a CGC 9.2, have I taken advantage of them?

42 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Since I already wrongfully morphed this into a discussion on grading companies... CGC is the gold standard. I think everyone agrees on that. And a CGC book will sell for more $$$ than a CBCS of same grade. But if the exact same book is a CGC 9.2 or a CBCS 9.6, which has a higher resell value? Perhaps more importantly, would I be morally suspect in selling the CBCS 9.6? I'm no comic expert, but there are a lot of people less experienced than me out there. If one of them buys my CBCS 9.6 just because it's "so much cheaper" than a CGC 9.2, have I taken advantage of them?

I don't think what I was saying came across properly, but what I mean by raw grade I meant was if I was grading the book myself without looking or knowing the grade of the book. Again eye appeal to me and most collectors is the difference like I said before don't buy the label buy the book. even if the 9.2 or 9.6 might appear the same I would look at other details, what has a better wrap, centering, page quality, colour, fade, tanning, etc.. to make my choice. 

Don't buy books because of labels/grade buy the book.