• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Giant Size X-men #1
1 1

36 posts in this topic

with a good press and clean I would be at 8.5 as there a corner crease some chipping on FC edge spine rippling. not sure if there's a stain or dirt if dirt than ok with 8.5 but if its a stain maybe lower. 

actually taking a second look I would maybe put it at a 7.5 after press missed the tape pull or damage on colossus head and the creases near it, pressing wont help that

2 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

How much do you think its worth raw?

how much someone is willing to pay.

you can also use sites like GPA to get a price for graded books or ebay sold listings to get a average. 

19 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Personal opinion is this is the best way. But definitely focus on average. Occasionally a really high or low (auction) sale will go through.

personally I use GPA but will on occasion look at E bay completed sales. GPA I find shows the data in a faster easier to read look with a year and 90 day average hi and low which allows me to make my judgements and bid or buy accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

faster easier to read look with a year and 90 day average

Good point. If I'm looking for fast an easy, I sometimes go to mycomicshop.com. Search on a title and click the "Sales Data" tab. But I sell quite a bit on consignment with them, so maybe that's why I'm inclined to do so.

My guess is 7.0 or 6.5. The mark of white damage on colossus head I think is part of the cover coloring, its on all book. The tape pull is one defect but the real big ones I see are light water stains on back and the color break on left black line, scratches on Colossus and top right corner. A good cleaning and a press will help big time. Might go then as high as 7.5. But I'm guessing :) 

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

the squarebounds can be tricky

I was wondering about this as well. Seems like it would be more difficult to "press out" a curl on a book with a firmer spine.

7.0 my guess as is. With a C&P, maybe a 7.5. But it's a high end book, so I'd go with the C&P and hope it helps. If not, you haven't lost much % value of the book.

Edited by WPPJames

1 hour ago, WPPJames said:

Looking closer, I'm leaning more towards a 6.5 now as is. Again, closer look, no idea how much a C&P will upgrade it. But I'd definitely still go for that. Risk vs Reward would be high.

There are a number of subtle non color breaking creases on the cover that should press out.  But, no reason not to keep your expectations at 6.5, then you can be pleasantly surprised if it comes back higher.