• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sticker on SA cover - how to grade?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks.  I posted this question just now in the noob section, but I think it belongs here.  Let’s assume a FF#67 that some fool disrespected by placing a dime-sized rectangular price sticker at the mid-bottom of front cover, obscuring “Power” where it says “Power of Him”.   Assume further that the book w/o the sticker is at least a blue label 8.0.   

How would CGC grade this book with the sticker (assuming it’s an 8.0 w/o the sticker)?  Would it get a qualified grade, and if so what?  Or a universal, but if so what?  

But also wondering what grade would be expected if the sticker were removed and some glue residue remained (making clear the dimensions of the now-removed sticker).  

Another question is whether you recommend removal of the sticker.  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.  

31 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Here's one interesting data point... this book with a sizeable sticker got a Universal 5.5. We all thought it should be lower, but...!

Very interesting, indeed!  But would you try to remove the sticker?  

Edited by Pantodude

16 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Very interesting, indeed!  But would you try to remove the sticker?  

Hmm. Hard to say without seeing it? If it seemed like it might come off easily I'd give it a go. But I wouldn't want to end up with a prominent ink pull.

5 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Hmm. Hard to say without seeing it? If it seemed like it might come off easily I'd give it a go. But I wouldn't want to end up with a prominent ink pull.

Right....so I guess my question is, would an ink pull (assuming even up to 1/2 of the original surface area of sticker) result in the same, less, or more of a downgrade than sticker?  

Here's the pix:

1491586948_FantasticFour67(CGC4.0)-front.thumb.jpg.759428b68658aab78f43de6f4e22478a.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

21 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Right....so I guess my question is, would an ink pull (assuming even up to 1/2 of the original surface area of sticker) result in the same, less, or more of a downgrade than sticker?  

Good question... no idea. Probably about the same?

If I’m entirely honest, that sticker would bug me too much; if it were mine I would most likely sell it and replace it with a different copy.

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Good question... no idea. Probably about the same?

If I’m entirely honest, that sticker would bug me too much; if it were mine I would most likely sell it and replace it with a different copy.

So just to make sure I followed, this would not get a qualified grade, just a lower grade in light of the sticker?   The sticker placement bugs...but depends on the price i guess, b/c the rest of the book is really  nice.    

I'd keep this as a potential blue label book, even with a downgrade. And I wouldn't try to remove the sticker on my own, because it's unlikely you could remove it without at least some paper loss. If I did want to remove it, I'd seek professional help...  :foryou:

On 9/20/2019 at 10:59 PM, Pantodude said:

Here's the pix:

1491586948_FantasticFour67(CGC4.0)-front.thumb.jpg.759428b68658aab78f43de6f4e22478a.jpg

Removing the sticker, if done properly shouldn’t result in any loss of ink or paper. It might leave behind discoloration from the glue interacting with the inks. Having done it many times, it is a fairly straight forward process.