• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay now collecting tax from Australian buyers / sellers directly

4 posts in this topic

We’re updating our user agreement and how we collect tax.
eBay

User Agreement and Tax Policy Updates

Together with PayPal, we’re updating how we process and collect tax. From November 2019, we’re updating the eBay User Agreement and our Tax Policy to reflect this change.

This change affects transactions where we’re required to collect tax in the jurisdiction where the item is being delivered. That includes orders up to AU $1,000 imported to Australia, or exports to certain US states.

We’ll continue collecting any required tax from buyers.

You’ll see a change in the PayPal transaction details:

• You’ll receive payment for the gross order amount, including tax.
• Once settled, we’ll automatically deduct the tax amount for remittance.

You can see a record of tax collected from each order in the Seller Hub order details page, or by downloading an order report.

Next Steps

You don’t need to do anything. If you have any questions about tax or how this may affect you, we’d recommend you speak with a tax advisor.

Read our Updated eBay User Agreement >

Check Out our Updated Tax Policy >

As announced in our Spring Seller Update, we’re rolling out our new, simplified selling policies this week in the Help Hub.

Thanks for being a part of the eBay community.

The eBay Team

So bought an item from Germany - seems the lying wankers are already collecting it.

It's only $1.36 - but out financial year for tax ends June 30th 2020. The money was paid direct to ebay - I'd imagine it will be sitting in an interest bearing account until then?

Nice little earner if you can get it.

So much for waiting until November.......

All this will do is kill international sales and speed up the demise of ebay. It's like they have a death wish.

What other platforms do people use to sell - except Facebook, as I don't do social media, especially twatter.

I'm not seeing the problem here.

The $1000 import duty limit has always been there. Compared to import duty nightmares I've read for other countries, ours is bloody generous. 
Ebay is just going to do it via Paypal.
Death and taxes...

As for the exports to certain US states, that would surely be paid for by the buyer. If someone from Biloxi , Mississippi doesn't want to buy my stuff, I ain't gonna care.

Edited by HeyMoe

14 hours ago, HeyMoe said:

I'm not seeing the problem here.

The $1000 import duty limit has always been there. Compared to import duty nightmares I've read for other countries, ours is bloody generous. 
Ebay is just going to do it via Paypal.
Death and taxes...

As for the exports to certain US states, that would surely be paid for by the buyer. If someone from Biloxi , Mississippi doesn't want to buy my stuff, I ain't gonna care.

The item cost $13.60.

Which last time I looked was under $1000. Under $1000 was not due to start until November.

Get the issue now?