• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bendis re-ups with Marvel

27 posts in this topic

The announcement:

Newsarama - Bendis annoncement

A quote:

Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada is obviously very happy that Bendis will continue his good works at the House of Ideas. “Brian’s a true professional, a good guy, and one heckuva talented writer. When it comes right down to it, what more could Marvel ask for? He’s opened up new vistas for our fictional stars and single-handedly created a fanbase that’s truly overwhelming. Brian’s is, no doubt about it, Da Man to End All Mans!”

27_laughing.gifinsane.gifscrewy.gif

What did they expect? DC would nab him? 27_laughing.gif

DC is actually trying to progress their line with good character-driven storytelling not kill it cold with nonsensical banter and pseudo cool in-jokes hiding a blatant disregard for the characters. All of which which has become Bendis' recent calling card...

Jim

DC is actually trying to progress their line with good character-driven storytelling not kill it cold with nonsensical banter and pseudo cool in-jokes hiding a blatant disregard for the characters. All of which which has become Bendis' recent calling card...

Jim

He writes four books for Marvel.

You managed to pidgeon hole him based on one, because that description certainly doesn't fit for Daredevil, USM or Powers. Amazing how all the bandwagoners do this.

Don't forget being the architect of Marvel's big Summer crossover that has impacted the majority of the line in one way or another...

You managed to pidgeon hole him based on one, because that description certainly doesn't fit for Daredevil, USM or Powers. Amazing how all the bandwagoners do this.

New Avengers - Definitely hip or trying to be but it seems rather hollow when you get down to it. The characters are interchangable and the story really hasn't been that good after #2...

Daredevil - Nothing happens for issues at a time other than talk. My nonsensical comment was directed at this title...

USM - Stagnant and pales in quality to where it was even 2 years ago...

Powers - Haven't read it in awhile but it's outside Marvel proper anyhow...

So my observation stands...I don't need to jump on a bandwagon to smell cr@p when I see it...

Jim

Jim

Excuse me, have you even read USM lately? And what the hell has even happened in Daredevil over the past, say, 12 issues? The only thing I would take issue with in Jim's quote is that I think he disregards his readers more than the characters, despite the kissing-up rhetoric he spews in interviews. sumo.gif

While he is a step up from Chuck Austen, I still look forward to the day BMB leaves NA... cloud9.gif

Jim

Excuse me, have you even read USM lately? And what the hell has even happened in Daredevil over the past, say, 12 issues? The only thing I would take issue with in Jim's quote is that I think he disregards his readers more than the characters, despite the kissing-up rhetoric he spews in interviews. sumo.gif

While he is a step up from Chuck Austen, I still look forward to the day BMB leaves NA... cloud9.gif

Yeah, I have read USM, it's subpar when held up to the first 60 issues, but its still an decent book. I wish Bendis and Bagely would take a break for a year or so to get fresh, but even a subpar USM is better than 80% of what the Big 2 have to offer. But trashing Bendis because a book he's is entirely responsible for making great has slowed down a bit? O, o no, he's written a few normal not outstanding USM stories, cruxify him! Lets forget 1-60, didn't happen.

Decalogue and the "old Kingpin" stories were just that, stories. Did something monumental happen that effects Daredevil in any sort of way? No. But not every issue has to be some impactful event. Most aren't. These weren't. But the stories that were told and the art that accompanied them were friggin brilliant. You can stand the 2nd issue of Decalogue up against every other book that's come out in a good long while and have a real hard time coming up with one that matches it's crafting. There has been only one time Daredevil has been as good as has been for the past 60 issues...and that didn't last half as long.

Powers continues to be a fantastic read.

I haven't read them, but I'm guessing Disassembled and New Avengers are great reads that have done things to characters, or used a certain batch of characters, that people don't appreciate. I don't particularly like the idea of Spidey and Wolverine on the Avengers, its gratuitous. But if it reads well, meh, who cares.

Trash him for being a over hyped jerk, go for it. He might well be. But he's still making great comics.

Don't forget being the architect of Marvel's big Summer crossover that has impacted the majority of the line in one way or another...

I think that statement is very false. House of M hasn't effected enough in my opinion. Look at DC's BSE (big summer event) that thing is all over the place, with 4 new minis, all kinds of tie-in's, from JSA, Wonder Woman, Superman, and god knows where else. And it hasn't even STARTED yet. Don't get me wrong, I love DC's BSE, I really do. I have nothing to complain about because it gives everyone a rich story without having to buy everything.

But Marvel, hasn't effected enough. The title of the HOM comic itself....above it says New Avengers and Astonishing X-men, but neither one of these titles has been affected at all by the HOM or any clues or hints that it will be, but who knows it might be some type of trick or ploy or something we just don't know yet. But HOM hasn't effected enough of the Marvel U.

I think that statement is very false. House of M hasn't effected enough in my opinion. Look at DC's BSE (big summer event) that thing is all over the place, with 4 new minis, all kinds of tie-in's, from JSA, Wonder Woman, Superman, and god knows where else. And it hasn't even STARTED yet. Don't get me wrong, I love DC's BSE, I really do. I have nothing to complain about because it gives everyone a rich story without having to buy everything.

But Marvel, hasn't effected enough. The title of the HOM comic itself....above it says New Avengers and Astonishing X-men, but neither one of these titles has been affected at all by the HOM or any clues or hints that it will be, but who knows it might be some type of trick or ploy or something we just don't know yet. But HOM hasn't effected enough of the Marvel U.

He may be refering to the dreck that was Avengers Disassembled. Eh memories. sleeping.gif

dreck???

Explain to me please. Everyone bad mouths, just jumping on the message board band wagon, but no one ever explains. What is so god awful about Avengers Disassembled??

Because it was made after 1975?? Damn you old timers

dreck???

Explain to me please. Everyone bad mouths, just jumping on the message board band wagon, but no one ever explains. What is so god awful about Avengers Disassembled??

Chi, don't even try. I've already tried this debate. Everyone else is just pissy cause the original Avengers are no more. I, myself, loved what Bendis did to them thumbsup2.gif

I'm not jumping on any bandwagon I am just pointing out that the poster may not have been refering to House of M. As for using the word Drek that is just my opinion and in the end that is all any of us can offer. I read the Avengers Disassembled Arc and really didn't enjoy it simple as that. As for pre 1975 old timer talk I am 23 and started reading comics in the mid 90's so that comment really doesn't apply to me. My reading habbits have changed over the years but I am now strictly a DC guy with the exception of Ulitmates. Again I just enjoy the DC stories better and that is my opinion. Just because some people don't like Bendis and you do doesn't mean you need to get defensive. Daredevil was good for awhile but to tell the truth I stopped buying it because nothing happened in like forever. That hurt me because I was like the biggest Daredevil fan ever but that is when I jumped ship and went DC.

New Avengers - Definitely hip or trying to be but it seems rather hollow when you get down to it. The characters are interchangable and the story really hasn't been that good after #2...

Daredevil - Nothing happens for issues at a time other than talk. My nonsensical comment was directed at this title...

USM - Stagnant and pales in quality to where it was even 2 years ago...

Powers - Haven't read it in awhile but it's outside Marvel proper anyhow...

So my observation stands...I don't need to jump on a bandwagon to smell cr@p when I see it...

Jim

If people want to call it a bandwagon then count me in. Bendis is boring, over hypes his plots, is excessively wordy and is just plain horrible. Disassemble was a joke so what does he do? Continue to agonize us with the House of M and its ugly variant covers that spread across numerous titles like a plague. Uugh. boo.gif

. Just because some people don't like Bendis and you do doesn't mean you need to get defensive

Oh but I think it does, I have the right to get defensive just like they have the right to get OFFENSIVE about the work that they don't like. I'm merely DEFENDING what I like. Also I tend to agree with you about buying more DC than Marvel, and I am also the same age as you, so I apologize about my pre-1975 comment. Marvel just doesn't put out as many good writers as DC does. But IMHO Bendis is good!!

dreck???

Chi, don't even try. I've already tried this debate. Everyone else is just pissy cause the original Avengers are no more. I, myself, loved what Bendis did to them thumbsup2.gif

However, if think the current structure will last you are sorely mistaken. If someone has to ask why the Disassemble arc was bad then they haven't read any comics. I am curious to know what the same peoples opinions would be for arcs that were actually good. It was all hype, hot air and in short very boring but it took over almost every major title in the process and for what? 5 more BS relaunches. If it was any good I would have reread the arc but honestly I could even be bothered to look at the covers again. They are bagged, boarded and thrown in a box and maybe they will still be worth the sticker price 25 years from now.

I have always been a huge Avengers fan but it hasn't been good since John Buscema worked on it 10 years ago and the last great arc was this:

A274.gif

Go back and read this one again and you will understand what a good arc is all about.

I have always been a huge Avengers fan but it hasn't been good since John Buscema worked on it 10 years ago and the last great arc was this:

A274.gif

Go back and read this one again and you will understand what a good arc is all about.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Agreed...classic story...

I'd move the last great story later and add the Procter storyline in the early-90s. Not a classic like the Avengers Siege story you spotlight but very good in relation to the dreck Marvel was releasing at the time...

Jim