• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does "Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service" mean to you?

17 posts in this topic

"Standard" means it the way he normally ships stuff. In this case it appears to be Media Mail.

"Flat Rate" means that you will pay $6 for him to put you loose comic into a manila envelope and tell the guy at the PO to Media Mail it.

Welcome to the world of canadian collectors most of the time I am charged 7.00 + for shipping single comics anmd it comes back 2-3.00 to ship it is plain and simple gouging a few extra bucks profit. and don't tell me gas to the post office/your time to pack the item you wanna charge buy the hour become a lawyer you wanna get paid for your gas become a truck driver sign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif

Welcome to the world of canadian collectors most of the time I am charged 7.00 + for shipping single comics anmd it comes back 2-3.00 to ship it

I guess being in Wisconsin is close enough to Canada for most folks...

I charge $5 for anywhere in North America via Priority Mail. That's what Flat Rate means to me, anyway.

I think that you are who I had in mind when I read this other seller's ad. So, it is *your* fault! poke2.gif

Seriously, no mention was made of what sort of mail service will be used, so I guess Buyer Beware and I should have asked questions.

Live and learn (and learn again... and again... and again)....

flamed.gif

On eBay, I saw a seller with this and $6 after it.

I assumed (silly me, I know) that it meant priority shipping.

I get the book today and it was sent media mail for $1.97.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

It's the eBay default - it simply means that the seller is too lazy to change it.

$6.00 was probably just a quick estimate the seller came up with, not knowing ahead of time how much it would be to ship the book(s), and not knowing where the buyer would be located.

Usually when I get to the post office I am (unpleasantly) surprised by how much a box of books costs to ship to, say, California by priority. So I'll usually ship media rate and, if there's money left over, tack on tracking or something. But many is the time I've kicked in a dollar or more of my own profits in order to come close to what the buyer paid for shipping.

$6.00 was probably just a quick estimate the seller came up with, not knowing ahead of time how much it would be to ship the book(s), and not knowing where the buyer would be located.

Usually when I get to the post office I am (unpleasantly) surprised by how much a box of books costs to ship to, say, California by priority. So I'll usually ship media rate and, if there's money left over, tack on tracking or something. But many is the time I've kicked in a dollar or more of my own profits in order to come close to what the buyer paid for shipping.

Flat Rate Box! $7.70 anywhere in the United States.

Yeah, I usually underestimate (like my grading poke2.gif) so end up eating some shipping costs.

We need an icon that is getting it on both ends... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On eBay, I saw a seller with this and $6 after it.

I assumed (silly me, I know) that it meant priority shipping.

I get the book today and it was sent media mail for $1.97.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Ya know, I make the same mistake sometimes. I assume that $6 SHOULD cover priority. frustrated.gif

Welcome to the world of canadian collectors most of the time I am charged 7.00 + for shipping single comics anmd it comes back 2-3.00 to ship it is plain and simple gouging a few extra bucks profit. and don't tell me gas to the post office/your time to pack the item you wanna charge buy the hour become a lawyer you wanna get paid for your gas become a truck driver sign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif

sign-funnypost.gif I should use those lines whenever I complain and the sellers come back with this.

Okay, if you're reading this thread...then you're on the internet.

Go to usps.com and look up the exact shipping costs for every package you need to mail. All it takes is getting a cheap $5 scale that reads ounces and you're ready to go. If needing an estimated shipping costs, I just figure shipping to a west coast zip code.

You can also track your packages if using Delivery Confirmation, etc. with usps.com.

Set up an account with them and you can even print USPS labels directly from your computer and have them charge your account(I haven't done this, but I do know others who have). .

Okay, if you're reading this thread...then you're on the internet.

Go to usps.com and look up the exact shipping costs for every package you need to mail. All it takes is getting a cheap $5 scale that reads ounces and you're ready to go. If needing an estimated shipping costs, I just figure shipping to a west coast zip code.

You can also track your packages if using Delivery Confirmation, etc. with usps.com.

Set up an account with them and you can even print USPS labels directly from your computer and have them charge your account(I haven't done this, but I do know others who have). .

I have done it. You can even add insurance up to $200. It's very convenient. thumbsup2.gif You also get free delivery confirmation when using usps.com.