• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Shops

20 posts in this topic

It's funny how some comic shops are just run differently than others. Some owners just don't take the time to do what's best for their loyal customers.

I just checked out the LCS in my new town, and was not all that impressed by the condition of their books and the customer service. I grabbed the last Superman #220, which was already pretty mangled. And the hold boxes .... wow, I feel sorry for people who have subscriptions with this place, that's all I gotta say. They probably get their books with all kinds of folds and creases.

Lucky for me, I have the option of going through the LCS that I always brag about, back where I used to roam. I am now positive that he runs one of the top stores in the nation. Sends me my books bagged & boarded for free. headbang.gif Good stuff, and always has the harder to find books, like WW #219 available, and even at cover price!

Funny, how I used to say to some forumites: "Where do you live that you can't find a decent LCS to go to?" Now I must retract those statements. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't an LCS where I now live. Is comic collecting just viewed much differently in the south than it is in the midwest?

Gotta agree with you Hob, it is hard to find a good store anymore. I am blessed with an awesome store here in Metro Detroit (Warp 9), and I do everything possible to buy from him because he goes out of his way to fill my comic needs each week. If it means buying a TPB at list minus the 10% pull discount, then so be it. Better he gets my money than Chuck at Mile High smile.gif

Yeah, the "pull boxes" should be a much heated debate, and it's not. Have you guys every seen these things? They put your comics in these boxes, most of them aren't even regular comic boxes, but just some wierd cardboard boxes, and not even bagged. It's a shame, the only reason I get a pull because of the discount, if not then I would buy off the rack, because they are usually in way better condition.

I love my LCS (Steve's Comic Relief outside Princeton, NJ). Granted, I only started going a few weeks ago, but I've had nothing but good experiences. The first time I walk in, the manager (or owner, but I think he's the manager) is in there, and he's a great guy. My first purchase was a hardcover Overstreet guide and he gave me 15% off because he didn't have any paperbacks left in stock. They've always got plenty of the new issues in stock, and they restock pretty quickly when they run out of something.

Haven't seen their pull boxes yet, but as I'm still getting back into it, I enjoy going into the store each week.

Yeah, the "pull boxes" should be a much heated debate, and it's not. Have you guys every seen these things? They put your comics in these boxes, most of them aren't even regular comic boxes, but just some wierd cardboard boxes, and not even bagged. It's a shame, the only reason I get a pull because of the discount, if not then I would buy off the rack, because they are usually in way better condition.

My LCS in Oklahoma has shelving behind his counter for everyone who has books pulled. He simply places your held books in your little cubbie hole. He is the only one who has access to them, so once they are in your "box," no one else touches them until you pick them up.

The shop I visited today, on the other hand, looked like they just threw the books in long boxes and everyone sorted through them to find their holds. Terrible way to do it.

Yeah, it's tough finding a good LCS, because if we up to us, we would wait for them as soon as they got off the press, and be the only ones who ever touched them. But is it me? but it seems the more the discount, the worse the store?

The only complaints I have about my LCS is the condition of the books they receive from Diamond (can't ever find a super sweet 9.8 of anything) and the limited back issue stock (which is allright as I prefer to buy back issues at cons).

But, in all, it's a great shop. The staff is awesome (one guy even loaned me his entire Miracleman run so I could read it before I had my run) and they let me loiter for as long as I want. They'll pull books for me (that aren;t on my list) if they thik I'd be interested. They don't get mad when I swap my pulled books with rack books, etc...

I try to buy most of my trades thru them. Yes, I end up paying more than if I ordered online, but I don;t mind sending the money their way.

Did you mention to the shop owner your concerns?

Jim

Nah, I'm just going to allow all the other people in town to buy crappy, mangled books while I get perfect covers shipped to me each week thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

I visited a few LCS in Alabama when I was there.

Wasn't real impressed with any of them.

Yeah, I'm not impressed with Alabama as a whole. People here don't seem to get anything done; like the work ethic is much lower than in the midwestern states I'm used to. It took 6 days to fix one of our cars; a job which would have taken 2 days max in Oklahoma.

Maybe that rubs off into the comic shops. This lCS I went to this week ... they're just too lazy to bag comics and take the time and effort to make sure they're not going to get damaged before they reach teh buyer's hands.

the only complaint i have with my local shop is back issue pricing....well...recent back issue pricing....

they keep issues on the shelf for 2 to 3 months...standard stuff...but as soon as they roll them to the bin it's an immediate 25 - 50 cent mark up on the cover price and irritates me when i hear about a cool storyline in a title i don't normally read and have to pay 4$ for a $3.50 comic that was on the shelf 2 months ago...

also, their prices on collectibles (SW, McF, stuff like that) are kinda jacked...but i generally don't buy that stuff there anyway.

otherwise, my pull list always gets to me in great condition, they've got no problem taking email or phone orders and have a 'members' service that gets 10% off comic related toys and collectibles on top of my regular pull list discount...

Yeah, I'm not impressed with Alabama as a whole. People here don't seem to get anything done; like the work ethic is much lower than in the midwestern states I'm used to. It took 6 days to fix one of our cars; a job which would have taken 2 days max in Oklahoma.

Maybe that rubs off into the comic shops. This lCS I went to this week ... they're just too lazy to bag comics and take the time and effort to make sure they're not going to get damaged before they reach teh buyer's hands.

I am not really impressed with people from Oklahoma if they are like you. All they do is take their limited experiences and apply it to a whole state.

Ahhhhh.... Steve's Comic Relief. 27_laughing.gif. Nice guy, the owner at least. He used to do some show dealing as well, but I think he got out of it, or perhaps it's a different guy who owns it now. Anyway, New Jersey is actually blessed with a number of very reputable stores including Stormwatch and Dewey's Comic City in Madison.

But the best of the best in Jersey is JC Comics. Great new book selection. Great trade selection. Excellent back issue selection. Gold, Silver and Bronze back issues, and one of the best raw graders I've ever encountered. The business is run by a family and is an absolutely outstanding store with friendly staff. They are constantly restocking back issues and buying new collections (for instance they just got a low grade Showcase #8 the other day). First rate store.

I love my LCS (Steve's Comic Relief outside Princeton, NJ). Granted, I only started going a few weeks ago, but I've had nothing but good experiences. The first time I walk in, the manager (or owner, but I think he's the manager) is in there, and he's a great guy. My first purchase was a hardcover Overstreet guide and he gave me 15% off because he didn't have any paperbacks left in stock. They've always got plenty of the new issues in stock, and they restock pretty quickly when they run out of something.

Haven't seen their pull boxes yet, but as I'm still getting back into it, I enjoy going into the store each week.

I am not really impressed with people from Oklahoma if they are like you. All they do is take their limited experiences and apply it to a whole state.

Haha, sorry, don't take offense. I'm not naive enough to think that all Alabamians are like that. Only the ones I have come in contact with over the past 2 weeks in just about every store I've entered. But I'm sure in larger areas, like Birmingham, there's a much different work ethic.

All I have to say is that the people here who work for Charter Communications are incompetant. (yeah, I probably misspelled that ... )

Haha, sorry, don't take offense. I'm not naive enough to think that all Alabamians are like that. Only the ones I have come in contact with over the past 2 weeks in just about every store I've entered. But I'm sure in larger areas, like Birmingham, there's a much different work ethic.

All I have to say is that the people here who work for Charter Communications are incompetant. (yeah, I probably misspelled that ... )

If you are talking comic shops, AL does not have great ones. I think there is a decent one in Montgomery. Hunstville has a few shops. Hunstville has a more technical population and there is more support for comics. If you are ever in Mobile on the weekend, Stephen Barrington runs a corner in the flea market. He bags every new comic before he displays it and he does have a good selection of SA/BA DC's and Marvels. He will also work with you on pricing as he has low overhead and expenses. He loves talking comics and is a fan first/dealer second. I cannot speak for B'ham.

As far as work ethic goes, people will work as hard as they want to better themselves. In the area you are in, the people have a different measure of success and they are happy as is. Some leave the hustle and bustle to live a more "relaxed" life. Some cannot stand that and move to the more populated areas around Mobile, B'ham, and Huntsville. I have found that is typical in every region and every state.

In regard to the pull slots, don't most LCSs allow you to look at the books held for you and exchange them for better copies if you want? I shop at Mile High (the only decent shop within 20 minutes of me) and they let me do that. Heck, if I ask nicely, they'll let me exchange for a totally different title, too.