• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boxing/wrestling ring covers

38 posts in this topic

I knew I was forgetting one other prime Superman cover. Here are some prime Jimmy Olsen examples. Why so many? Was one of the DC editors (Weisinger) really into boxing and wrestling? Maybe they were more popular with the general public, or at least the people buying comic books, than I realize.

Can't speak for boxing, but wrestling has always been incredibly popular, it's just that most people would never admit to it. And with Marvel and DC both being based in NYC, where Madison Square Garden is, it's no wonder there were so many references to it. If you're a fan, you notice a lot of phrases from wrestling that have made it into popular culture (like the phrase "Lay the smack down") and things like comics. It's interesting.

I knew I was forgetting one other prime Superman cover. Here are some prime Jimmy Olsen examples. Why so many? Was one of the DC editors (Weisinger) really into boxing and wrestling? Maybe they were more popular with the general public, or at least the people buying comic books, than I realize.

Can't speak for boxing, but wrestling has always been incredibly popular, it's just that most people would never admit to it. And with Marvel and DC both being based in NYC, where Madison Square Garden is, it's no wonder there were so many references to it.

That makes sense, especially the NY location. I've never paid much attention to either sport.

If you're a fan, you notice a lot of phrases from wrestling that have made it into popular culture (like the phrase "Lay the smack down") and things like comics. It's interesting.

I thought that was from Green Lantern.

1448_4_085.jpg

Jack

We just sent off a Young Men 11 with boxing cover. Sorry, don't have a scan of it but it was one of those classic GA style crime covers where you've got the crook in the front row explaining everything to the guy before he shoots him. Ie, You shoulda taken the dive like you were supposed to! Now you'll get yours! The roar of the crowd will drown out the sound of my gun!

We do have this one:

MN4017.gif

We just sent off a Young Men 11 with boxing cover. Sorry, don't have a scan of it but it was one of those classic GA style crime covers where you've got the crook in the front row explaining everything to the guy before he shoots him. Ie, You shoulda taken the dive like you were supposed to! Now you'll get yours! The roar of the crowd will drown out the sound of my gun!

Ask, and ye shall receive!

750_4_011.jpg

gosh, no love for the worst Marvel Graphic Novel ever published?

chunky artwork, thy name is Ron Wilson

That's a shame, I liked Ron's work in MTIO, where he camped out for quite a while from what I remember. Maybe he thought he was still drawing the Thing? smile.gif