• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for CGC on Turnaround Times

26 posts in this topic

The thing I would most like from the CGC site is accurate information.

The "Services & Submission" page was updated yesterday, and the "20 Day

Express Coupon" category was marked On-Time.

But I suspect that that is not accurate. I have books mailed more than SIX

weeks ago (6/21), that are still sitting on a shelf somewhere -- the collector's

society "My Order Status" link still reports them as "Scheduled for Grading."

If I mailed them 6 weeks ago, you've had them for at least 5 weeks -- and no

one has even looked at them yet.

So either your advertised turnaround times are wrong or perhaps the status

reporting mechanism on the collector's society site is wrong. Which is it?

I also notice that Economy is not 4 months behind as usual ... it's now *5* months

behind. How bad do things have to get before CGC recognizes there's a problem?

Are there any changes on the horizon at CGC to improve matters?

gozer

ps - I'm especially peeved because I had intended to take 1 of the 3

books I submitted to WW Chicago. Turnaround time of 4 weeks, add a week to

each end for shipping -- six weeks should just make it. Nope. Not even close.

I also notice that Economy is not 4 months behind as usual ... it's now *5* months

I reckon it might get a little better. But not by much. Im guessing it's kinda like a safety net for them to know that there are so many books waiting to be graded. At least they know things are going to be relatively regular for the next 5 months.

Well Gozer, that's one of the reasons why I finally submitted some books to PGX. If the turnaround time for economies was within 3 months, I would've never made this move. I like CGC's services and will continue to use the standard grading for high end books, but it's really not worth waiting 5 months to get back a book that's worth $100/$150.

For people that want to sell their slabbed books at a premium, it's probably worth using CGC vs. PGX. However, there are plenty of others like myself that want to have their books slabbed for keeps, but don't want to part with them for 5 months.

That being said, even PGX is starting to slip with their turnaround times. My last submittal was 3 weeks overdue because of the San Diego con and lots of books being submitted. If this trend continues, and with their small operation, they could easily slip into the 3/4 month waiting time as well.

The thing I would most like from the CGC site is accurate information.

The "Services & Submission" page was updated yesterday, and the "20 Day

Express Coupon" category was marked On-Time.

But I suspect that that is not accurate. I have books mailed more than SIX

weeks ago (6/21), that are still sitting on a shelf somewhere -- the collector's

society "My Order Status" link still reports them as "Scheduled for Grading."

If I mailed them 6 weeks ago, you've had them for at least 5 weeks -- and no

one has even looked at them yet.

So either your advertised turnaround times are wrong or perhaps the status

reporting mechanism on the collector's society site is wrong. Which is it?

Are there any changes on the horizon at CGC to improve matters?

gozer

ps - I'm especially peeved because I had intended to take 1 of the 3

books I submitted to WW Chicago. Turnaround time of 4 weeks, add a week to

each end for shipping -- six weeks should just make it. Nope. Not even close.

Econ. is a misprint, it is still 4 months turnaround crazy.gif

I have a HUGE problem with CGC continuing to blatantly lie about their "advertised turnaround times" when these numbers have nothing to do reality. To state that Economy takes "40 Days" estimated, to be graded is just pure BS, when they are currently shipping out books from April 4.... 4 months back... or about 90 business days.

CGC has been in business over 5 years, so why continue to use Estimated Turnaround Times that are so full of I can smell it up here? Why doesn't CGC list actual turnaround times, using a 5-year historical average?

Hmmmm.... I wonder. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

>> Econ. is a misprint, it is still 4 months

Yep, you're right. I feel so much better.

>> To state that Economy takes "40 Days" estimated,

>> to be graded is just pure BS

Yes, but AT LEAST they give you some additional info, and tell you the "shipping

books received on" date -- so you know to ignore the "estimated" time.

What disappoints me is that for the Coupon category, the "shipping books

received on" data was ALSO WRONG. It clearly isn't On-Time, yet that's

what CGC claimed.

I too am just about ready to give PGX a try. This is such a constant source of

irritation, I'm baffled that CGC doesn't fix it.

gozer

Yes, but AT LEAST they give you some additional info, and tell you the "shipping books received on" date -- so you know to ignore the "estimated" time.

Exactly my point. Why, after 6 full years, does CGC continue to list the obviously incorrect and "will never been attained" Estimates? Can they not do simple math? screwy.gif

Glad you feeling better poke2.gif,

but seriously its been like that for over a year now, so speaking for myself, I just deal with it. Aint no big thing confused-smiley-013.gif

>> If I mailed them 6 weeks ago

Well, now it's over 7 weeks. The books are still "Scheduled for Grading"

And golly gee, the CGC website (updated yesterday) still says turnaround time for coupon books is "20 business days" and the "shipping books received on" date is On-Time.

CGC: how about joining the "reality based" community?

Seriously -- why not put ACCURATE numbers on your web page? Would it kill you folks to put up data that actually meant something ???????

I'd rather you not put anything on your site rather than put info we can't trust.

And why not get rid of the "Estimated Turnaround" column completely. What purpose does it serve except to highlight how behind CGC is?

gozer

>> you guys are beating a dead horse

Yes and no. I agree it's pointless to complain about turnaround times being long. They are what they are.

What I want to complain about is cgc giving us FALSE information.

With economy, cgc TELLS YOU what to expect, and their numbers are probably believable. With the coupon category, the info they provide is demonstratably false. And that's what gets my goat (and I *need* my goats!).

And as usual, CGC can't be bothered to comment. So, I'm taking my money and going elsewhere (I know ... like that will make any difference). I only have a few more books to send off, but the few I have are going to "the other guys."

gozer

--------------------------

Try to put a good face on it. Tell them this is one of those places where rich

women lose weight.

Okay, but just remember, the "other guys" don't have a cool chatboard where you can biitch about stuff like we do here, right? So you win some, you lose some. Just something to think about, and something I try to remember once in a while.

Red (No, I'm not playing with your head) Hook insane.gif

My feelings are that within a year or two, PGX will be up to snuff and will be be very competitive with CGC. Competition is neccesary and healthy. CGC can't be allowed to remain a monopoly.We, as collectors, need options.

that won't happen unless PGX gets cred in their resto tec ability like hiring matt nelson as their resto tector. no cred, no compettion with collectors who buy slabbed GA, SA, BA comics.

I keep hearing that. So I guess they'll just have to get cred... or not survive. As far as I'm concerned CGC doesn't have a whole lot of cred as it is. They seem to be all over the map with there grading and they also seem to be dumbing down the grading system, allowing a lot of fines to be very fines etc. etc. And until they're able to spot pressed books, they'll have very little cred with me anyway.