• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Type Comic" candidates
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Along with comic book collecting, I collect other things.  One of them is coins.  An interesting way to collect coins is what they call "type collecting" where you collect one very nice example of each different type of coin.  So as an example, one really nice buffalo nickel, one really nice mercury dime, etc.

Prices on comics have gotten so high that I'm considering using that method for comics instead of first appearances or runs.  You know, one really nice example of different types of comics in my sweet spot for collecting...the $200 to $500 range (though golden age stuff would cost more, I'm sure).

For example, a really nice example of Batman might be Batman #251, because it’s got a great story, a great cover, it’s a semi-key book, and in higher grade there’s a fair argument that it would be a good one to own if you could only have one.  Another example is Marvel Premiere #15, because, for Iron Fist, it’s a great cover, a great story, and even though it’s considered a key book, it’s still affordable in higher grade.

For the Golden Age, I can see an argument for having a Wally Wood EC, a really cool looking Planet Comic, A nice good girl cover like a Phantom Lady, a Superman War cover, etc.

See what I mean?  One book that represents each genre or hero in better grade that ideally has a good story, a nice cover, and is a little more important than the typical issue in the run.

So if you get the drift of what I’m saying, what books/specific issues would you suggest?  Pix would be appreciated too.

TIA,

Steve

31 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

For example, a really nice example of Batman might be Batman #251, because it’s got a great story, a great cover, it’s a semi-key book, and in higher grade there’s a fair argument that it would be a good one to own if you could only have one.  Another example is

The problem with Batman #251 is that the Joker is holding up a card, which is perfect, except that the card isn't a Joker.  Perfect opportunity... blown. lol

(Though it's not as bad as Batman #244 where somehow there are extra batpants.)

Edited by valiantman

If you’re a Wood fan, I think the obvious go to would be Weird Science 16. That cover absolutely captures the entire 50s sci-fi genre. You didn’t mention war, but Kurtzman’s Two Fisted Tales 25 has both a classic cover and a classic story. Both can be had within your range.

57 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I asked Neal about this while he was a member here, and he explained what happened.

Tried to find the post, but I’m not a search ninja like some here 

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I asked Neal about this while he was a member here, and he explained what happened.

Tried to find the post, but I’m not a search ninja like some here 

I remember the story.  Neal did have pantsless Batman on #244, but DC objected even though Neal had clearly angled Batman so that nothing would be visible except a knee, but DC still objected.

I think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 Third Printing would be a good "type comic" to represent the height of the black-and-white explosion of independent comics. 

The third printing is selected because it's cheaper AND because it represents the demand that was necessary for that particular book, since the 3,000 first printings and the 6,000 second printings did sell out... 35,000 for the third printing. (thumbsu

Image result for Teenage Mutant third printing