• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever seen a Nedor from the Tom Reilly collection?

23 posts in this topic

Bob B. listed all the Nedor titles in his complete list of the Reilly books, but I've never seen a single Reilly Nedor, and none are listed in the Heritage archives.

I figure there are two possibilities. First, that they weren't in the collection, after all. Second, that one person bought them all, and has held onto them to this day. This seems unlikely, as Bob has suggested that the books were sold piece-meal, and not in full runs.

So help me out. Anyone ever seen one?

Did you ask John at Comic Heaven? He usually has a lot of Reilly's.

-Chris

Scrooge, interesting thought, but unlikely. Most of the books from the collection(at least those from 1942 on) have the name "Tom Reilly" stamped on the back cover. Most of the collection also has a recognizable arrival date starting with the letter "G" on the front cover.

Some of the pre-1942 books could certainly be lost in collections. I recently heard that CGC received a group of books for certification that they immediately recognized as Reilly books. They called the guy who submitted them, and it turned out that he had indeed picked them up from a comic shop in Berkeley in the early 70s. He had no idea what he had.

Thank you for the info (again - sorry but I don't have a memory cell for pedigree distinctive markings - maybe once that book is published but I am not holding my breath)

Well I guess that leaves Bob as the one who would maybe know where those Nedors are.

Jeff, here's a question for you. I myself collect Centaurs & Fox & the ocassional Nedors , how was there distribution system ?? Was it as bad as Centaurs?? This explains alot when it comes to Pedigrees & collectons. I know Nedors wern't the best , but in your opinion would you say there distribution was as bad as Centaurs or just plain bad across the board.

Has anyone asked Bob?

No, I'm sure he's in Chicago. I'll email him after the weekend.

But he did include all the Nedor titles in his list of the Reilly collection. On the other hand, I believe he put that list together years later, so perhaps their inclusion was a mistake.

Jeff, here's a question for you. I myself collect Centaurs & Fox & the ocassional Nedors , how was there distribution system ?? Was it as bad as Centaurs?? This explains alot when it comes to Pedigrees & collectons. I know Nedors wern't the best , but in your opinion would you say there distribution was as bad as Centaurs or just plain bad across the board.

I honestly don't know. It's tempting to assume that the distribution wasn't good, but Edgar Church and Lamont Larson didn't seem to have any trouble getting Nedors. It's odd that Reilly wouldn't have even one.

A member of the Reilly family gave the Marvel Mystery run to some neighbor kids before the family decided to sell the whole collection. I suppose it's possible that something similar happened to the Nedors, but I'd only be guessing. Even in that scenario, you'd think some of those books would have entered the marketplace.

It's looking to me like no Nedors existed in the collection.

I honestly don't know. It's tempting to assume that the distribution wasn't good, but Edgar Church and Lamont Larson didn't seem to have any trouble getting Nedors. It's odd that Reilly wouldn't have even one.

A member of the Reilly family gave the Marvel Mystery run to some neighbor kids before the family decided to sell the whole collection. I suppose it's possible that something similar happened to the Nedors, but I'd only be guessing. Even in that scenario, you'd think some of those books would have entered the marketplace.

It's looking to me like no Nedors existed in the collection.

There probably are no Nedors. Remember Tom Reilly was a kid (at least a teen-ager) at the time, unlike Edgar Church, so his buying habits were probably not nearly as extensive as Edgar's, and Tom was likely not as obsessive as Edgar either. And I doubt Tom's parents would have broadened the number of titles significantly while Tom was in the service.

Tim, I see your point, but an argument could also be made that a kid, being less sophisticated than an adult, would be less discriminating about what they buy.

Puny might have a point. Perhaps the probable absence of Nedors from the collection is the result of poor distribution of that publisher in Reilly's neighborhood. Otherwise, I would think at least a few stray Nedors(perhaps with covers that appealed to him) would have made their way into Tom's collection. Remember, Tom collected for 3+ years before shipping overseas.

I'm looking forward to hearing from Bob about this.

Bob emailed me back. He's convinced that complete runs of Nedors were present in Tom's collection. He agrees that it's quite a conundrum that none have ever shown up in a Heritage auction.

The mystery continues!

You know there's a slim possibility that one of the Dang brothers who had a home burn down in the Oakland hills fire may have bought a lot of Reilly books. I can't remeber if it was Teddy or Lucas and my memory of the incident is anecdotal. But I beleieve he lost all his books. That's one way of explaining a missing run of Nedors. Or someone may just be holding them.

It was my understanding from Bob that complete runs were not sold. The books were sold piece-meal, so it's unlikely one person would have all the Nedors.

Even so, it may be possible that one collector aggressively pursued the Reilly Nedors in the late 70's & 80's, managed to wrangle them all from the original buyers and has been sitting on them for the past 15-20 years. Out of sight, out of mind.