• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pressing questions (no pun intended)
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have a captain America 117 that I think will grade out to a 5.-6.5 however the bottom staple is detached.is this still a good book to have pressed and graded?Also I have a marvel spotlight 28 that has a small half circle tear in the middle of the bottom of the cover (1/4 inch wide),is that a good candidate for a press and grade?

Edited by Frankielo

3 hours ago, Frankielo said:

I have a captain America 117 that I think will grade out to a 5.-6.5 however the bottom staple is detached.is this still a good book to have pressed and graded?Also I have a marvel spotlight 28 that has a small half circle tear in the middle of the bottom of the cover (1/4 inch wide),is that a good candidate for a press and grade?

this question is has been answered many times on the board but the short end of it is that pressing removes certain defects such as no colour breaking creases, bends, etc.. there are risks involved such as staples popping books with detached staples should be pressed by a pro who knows what they are doing not to further cause any more damage to the book. 

A press can only help a bit so I wouldn't expect a 5.0 to become 9.8. 

I would recommend reading around the forums there is tons of great information here about pressing and cleaning as well as a ton of examples you can use to compare. also for worth it varies based on personal preference and goals. 

Best of luck and welcome to the boards

:tink:

Also you could post your book in the "hey buddy spare a grade" section of the forum and see what others say about the grade if its a good candidate for pressing etc.. maybe sure you get high quality images and multiple showing front back and interior pages if you can etc... 

48 minutes ago, Frankielo said:

Thanks for the input.as for goals,my cost on these books are zero as i bought them new.i plan on selling them so i think grading them works in my favor.

If I may, I would like to inquire about your description of the bottom staple on your Cap #117. Exactly how is the staple detached? Usually, the cover or pages are detached from the staple, not the other way around...  hm

Edited by The Lions Den

1 hour ago, Frankielo said:

Thanks for the input.as for goals,my cost on these books are zero as i bought them new.i plan on selling them so i think grading them works in my favor.

if your looking to sell it I would do some research on the price of a raw book versus graded at the (condition) or grade you think it is and see if its worth it to get graded with fee's, shipping, insurance, pressing, cleaning, etc.. and look at the price you pay to the price you might actually get. you can use eBay sold prices to get a general idea but even eBay sales are not the best indicator but a good starting point. many hobbyist's use GPA (but requires a subscription) to determine their value of graded books.

Where's Revat when you need him and his usual speech. I swear he must have a word doc to copy and paste those responses. lol 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

If I may, I would like to inquire about your description of the bottom staple on your Cap #117. Exactly how is the staple detached? Usually, the cover or pages are detached from the staple, not the other way around...  hm

yes, the cover is detached from the bottom staple.these books have been in my possession for over 40 yrs bagged and boarded for most of the time I've decided to have the keys cgc rated and sell the rest raw.i had a group books graded with cgc for the first time with good results,about 20 books (late silver to early bronze) between 7.5 to 9.2.surprisingly my ff 52 came back 7.0 restored for three sides trimmed  ?although I bought this book used it was in 1974 and in a bargain rack.who would be trimming that book?so I'm on my second round of books and trying to get a feel for it.Thanks

7 minutes ago, Frankielo said:

yes, the cover is detached from the bottom staple.these books have been in my possession for over 40 yrs bagged and boarded for most of the time I've decided to have the keys cgc rated and sell the rest raw.i had a group books graded with cgc for the first time with good results,about 20 books (late silver to early bronze) between 7.5 to 9.2.surprisingly my ff 52 came back 7.0 restored for three sides trimmed  ?although I bought this book used it was in 1974 and in a bargain rack.who would be trimming that book?so I'm on my second round of books and trying to get a feel for it.Thanks

You're welcome! It sounds like you may benefit from the "Spare a Grade" forum...  hm

In general, a book with one staple pulled through the cover will usually knock the grade down below a Very Fine grade, or end up receiving a Qualified grade if it's a very high grade example (it sounds like your book would fall into the first category). So if the book looks like a 6.0, I'd be thinking a 5.0 or 5.5 would be an appropriate adjustment. Also, please keep in mind that if any of the wraps are detached, it may also affect the grade.

It sounds like you're doing pretty well so far except for that FF #52. Amazingly enough, many books from that era have trimming or resto. It's not uncommon at all...  

12 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

You're welcome! It sounds like you may benefit from the "Spare a Grade" forum...  hm

In general, a book with one staple pulled through the cover will usually knock the grade down below a Very Fine grade, or end up receiving a Qualified grade if it's a very high grade example (it sounds like your book would fall into the first category). So if the book looks like a 6.0, I'd be thinking a 5.0 or 5.5 would be an appropriate adjustment. Also, please keep in mind that if any of the wraps are detached, it may also affect the grade.

It sounds like you're doing pretty well so far except for that FF #52. Amazingly enough, many books from that era have trimming or resto. It's not uncommon at all...  

Ok thanks