• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Museum Edition Comics

33 posts in this topic

Recently acquired about 100 museum editions included in a lot.  Did some searching on ebay and internet to get a baseline of values but wondering if there is a more reliable source out there? Majority of the books I have aren't on ebay so trying to figure out if something is legitimately in more demand than others.  Anything out there?

12 minutes ago, finecomics said:

Recently acquired about 100 museum editions included in a lot.  Did some searching on ebay and internet to get a baseline of values but wondering if there is a more reliable source out there? Majority of the books I have aren't on ebay so trying to figure out if something is legitimately in more demand than others.  Anything out there?

If you have any Aria/Anacleto ones, I'm interested!:hi:

2 hours ago, finecomics said:

Are they *real* Museum Editions, released by Jay Company, or are they the German/French knockoffs? If they're the German /French knockoffs, they don't have much value. If they're the Jay Company museums, then they vary in value all the way from not much of anything (Stone, Athena) to quite valuable (Witchblade, Fathom.), as you found on eBay. There's not much other value information out there.

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Are they *real* Museum Editions, released by Jay Company, or are they the German/French knockoffs? If they're the German /French knockoffs, they don't have much value. If they're the Jay Company museums, then they vary in value all the way from not much of anything (Stone, Athena) to quite valuable (Witchblade, Fathom.), as you found on eBay. There's not much other value information out there.

They are all Jay Company books and have sticker/holo seals on them so I am hesitate to open and see what book it actually is.  A lot of them are out of 25 so I understand why they wouldn't be on ebay.  For example if I have several different Fathom books, how do I tell what issue (assuming these are just different versions of volume 1) it actually is??  

Can I assume if its a different cover then its a different issue?

Edited by finecomics

This are rare copies of overprinted and currently unpopular books.

I don’t say that with malice. I actually loved Top Cow.

Theres no way to value it really. It’s worth what someone will pay and that’s it.

As you know rarity means nothing without buyers...

there are buyers for these books but not at the ridiculous 300 and 400 dollars you see people asking.

Those copies aren’t going anyplace at that price. 

Edited by Shoomanfoo

39 minutes ago, finecomics said:

They are all Jay Company books and have sticker/holo seals on them so I am hesitate to open and see what book it actually is.  A lot of them are out of 25 so I understand why they wouldn't be on ebay.  For example if I have several different Fathom books, how do I tell what issue (assuming these are just different versions of volume 1) it actually is??  

Can I assume if its a different cover then its a different issue?

Don't worry about tearing the Jay Company seal. Some of the books are the same on the inside as shown on the "Museum" cover. For example, this one:

s-l1600.jpg

...contains Fathom #8.

However, some of them don't have the same book on the inside as on the cover, but....it ultimately doesn't matter what book is on the inside. 

That said, you'll find buyers for all of them, as they were nifty little items from the early 21st century, if you price them right (or, better yet, start them off as auctions.)

As an aside, I can't believe Fathom is over 20 years old. Mike's been gone for over 11 years. Where has the time gone?

20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Don't worry about tearing the Jay Company seal. Some of the books are the same on the inside as shown on the "Museum" cover. For example, this one:

s-l1600.jpg

...contains Fathom #8.

However, some of them don't have the same book on the inside as on the cover, but....it ultimately doesn't matter what book is on the inside. 

That said, you'll find buyers for all of them, as they were nifty little items from the early 21st century, if you price them right (or, better yet, start them off as auctions.)

As an aside, I can't believe Fathom is over 20 years old. Mike's been gone for over 11 years. Where has the time gone?

Good idea.

Auction the less popular titles 1st and maybe get a feel for the pricing while making a buck.

Save the big guns for latter.

Just now, Shoomanfoo said:

You can grade them

You can't. For a short time, they would grade them. Most recently, when they introduced the inner well free slab.

They no longer make the slabs that way and they will not fit.

In the mid 2000's, I had one slabbed by PGX. What a mistake! Damaged the book. The pressure from being in the case, made an outline of the inner cover on the museum cover.

23 minutes ago, I like pie said:

You can't. For a short time, they would grade them. Most recently, when they introduced the inner well free slab.

They no longer make the slabs that way and they will not fit.

In the mid 2000's, I had one slabbed by PGX. What a mistake! Damaged the book. The pressure from being in the case, made an outline of the inner cover on the museum cover.

Thank you 

I was not aware. You are correct all I’ve seen was the old red label.