• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OF's Chicago Con report...

60 posts in this topic

Next, I ended up looking through the Don Rosa collection, which had been pretty well picked over since San Diego. mad.gif All was not lost though, since the girl working the booth was hot and friendly, and I picked up the Tec 402 I was looking for. Hardly a high grade copy, but it was the best I could do without spending a stupid amount. I got excited when she told me they had brought along a box that hadn't been to SD, but, alas, I didn't find anything I wanted.

you found a hot chick at a Con, and couldn't get us a picture? what kind of man are you? what kind, i say!

thanks for the report. looking forward to more, albeit with more pictures of hot chicks, provided you can find any

I lent my digital camera out, so no pictures. frown.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Next, I ended up looking through the Don Rosa collection, which had been pretty well picked over since San Diego. mad.gif All was not lost though, since the girl working the booth was hot and friendly, and I picked up the Tec 402 I was looking for. Hardly a high grade copy, but it was the best I could do without spending a stupid amount. I got excited when she told me they had brought along a box that hadn't been to SD, but, alas, I didn't find anything I wanted.

you found a hot chick at a Con, and couldn't get us a picture? what kind of man are you? what kind, i say!

thanks for the report. looking forward to more, albeit with more pictures of hot chicks, provided you can find any

NO EXCUSES, COUNSELOR-TO-BE! excuses are for the PD's office, not the private practice folk!

NO EXCUSES, COUNSELOR-TO-BE! excuses are for the PD's office, not the private practice folk!

27_laughing.gif Ok, you win. I found a disposable camera with a bunch of pictures left, so I will take photos this weekend and hopefully post them monday or tuesday. sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif Ok, you win. I found a disposable camera with a bunch of pictures left, so I will take photos this weekend and hopefully post them monday or tuesday. sumo.gif

it's this kind of attitude that will take you places, oh-future-esquire. a can-do attitude is always, and i do mean always, welcome. except when you're being hit on by a fat chick, in which case you must make like Johnny Quest and give that girl the Heisman.

no offense to fat chicks. i hear there are guys who dig that sort of things, so all's good yo

no offense to fat chicks. i hear there are guys who dig that sort of things, so all's good yo

Who told you about them?!? I was really drunk both times so Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? off! I still have my pride! sumo.gif

tongue.gif

Chicago Day 2....

I planned not to spend much money today or Saturday, since Thursday was the time to look for the books I really wanted and Sunday will be the time to search for deals, but I ended up buying more than I expected. I left my house at around 11:30 and I planned on spending about an hour looking for a place to park that didn't charge for the "privilege". The parking garage across the street wasn't going to get my hard earned $11 any more. mad.gif I ended up finding a sub-division tucked away about a mile from the con center and I parked there (I wasn't towed, much to my relief).

I got to the con around 12:30 and commenced my wanderings. My feet started to hurt immediately, since I had opted to wear a newer pair of shoes. foreheadslap.gif However, discomfort was soon forgotten in my frantic search for premo deals. Since I had knocked out most of the books I really wanted on Thursday night, I was free to search for more esoteric things. After picking up a few random Adams Green Lantern and Avengers books, I stumbled on a dealer selling high grade Curtis mags at half off. I came away with these four for a total of $25. Sweet.

1.jpg

2c.jpg

3c.jpg

4c.jpg

The crazies were out in force at this con. I saw one guy walking around wearing a metal-studded trenchcoat and a ten gallon hat, and carrying a lightsaber. screwy.gif Following him was a 6' tall, blond haired hunchback wearing the robes from the MST 3K lampooned movie "Manos, the Hands of Fate". The people watching was excellent. cloud9.gif

I walked over to check out the food court and I came across a booth that looked like a tornado had hit it. The sign said it was Forbidden Planet from New York. This guy had piles of completely random books stacked everywhere, most unbagged. Everything from vintage Playboys to silver age reader copies. There must have been half a longbox filled with water-stained copies of Savage Tales 3. screwy.gif The owner had disappeared, so me and two other guys who were there started digging through the boxes looking for Warren mags. By the time I was done, I was filthy. Everything was covered in dust. It was worth it though, as I got a great deal on the stuff I rescued. I came away with 8 comics and magazines for $30, including the following 4. grin.gif I would have paid almost that much for the Eerie 2 alone and the Vampirella 12 and the Avengers Annual 10 are both at least 9.2s. confused-smiley-013.gif

5c.jpg

6c.jpg

7c.jpg

9c.jpg

My final stop was at Comic Book Addiction. They had a GORGEOUS collection of magazines, including some really hard to find Skywald stuff. They had a really nice copy of Psycho 3, which I had been looking for, but I had to pass since I was running low on funds. I did pick these up though, including the last Batman 100 pager I needed. I love the cover to Nightmare 13, I had not seen it before.

8c.jpg

10c.jpg

11c.jpg

As I was walking away from CBA, I got a call from Alan (Pedigreeman) and we decided to meet and see what was up. He was at the con with his stepson Chris, who had picked up a ton interesting foreign DVDs I had not heard of. We talked for about half an hour and then decided to head over to an Italian beef place called Johnny's. Now Alan had talked this place up for awhile (even going so far to say that it was better than my beloved Portillo's) so I went with a healthy amount of skepticism. However, my reservations were soon laid aside. I have to say, they sell one of the better beefs I have ever had. The fries were excellent as well. It was even worth the slowass half and hour drive. poke2.gif The conversation didn't stop for a second since the three of us had, and have, the same taste in a lot of different things. I was floored when Chris told me he loved The Real Ghostbusters cartoon as much as I did, and I was equally shocked when he said he used to like The Inhumanoids. 893whatthe.gif I got dropped off at my car around 6:30 having had as much fun as I did last night. I hope it keeps getting better. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The crazies were out in force at this con. I saw one guy walking around wearing a metal-studded trenchcoat and a ten gallon hat, and carrying a lightsaber.

I was there too and saw him. Didn't catch the girl though. Did you see the guy that looked like the MATRIX dude. Or how about the PUNISHER guy. Pretty good likeness of both.

I got a lot of great deals today. Half off on DC ARCHIVES, so I got two. And just about ever booth seemed to sell the books for less then listed. I'd say about a third of the booths I went to, when I asked how much, the guy would say half of the price marked.

Seein' more booths selling movies on DVD too. I picked up some of my old favorite 50's TV shows and B movies too.

Every year I love going to this show. All I can say is its a great show and I spent too much.

The crazies were out in force at this con. I saw one guy walking around wearing a metal-studded trenchcoat and a ten gallon hat, and carrying a lightsaber.

I was there too and saw him. Didn't catch the girl though. Did you see the guy that looked like the MATRIX dude. Or how about the PUNISHER guy. Pretty good likeness of both.

I got a lot of great deals today. Half off on DC ARCHIVES, so I got two. And just about ever booth seemed to sell the books for less then listed. I'd say about a third of the booths I went to, when I asked how much, the guy would say half of the price marked.

Seein' more booths selling movies on DVD too. I picked up some of my old favorite 50's TV shows and B movies too.

Every year I love going to this show. All I can say is its a great show and I spent too much.

Unfortunately, those were the only two freaks I saw, but I wasn't really looking....that's what tomorrow and the camera are for. tongue.gif

Most people were willing to deal on anything but 9.0 and up. I was pretty happy with the selection and price of magazines there, I wasn't getting my hopes up. I am going to look for stuff other than comics tomorrrow and I will give the DVD sellers a looksee.

I love the Chicago show too. Every single day I have spend there, no matter what year, has been an absolutely great time. I can't get enough. For all of you who haven't been to a con, you don't know what you are missing. poke2.gif

Oh man, I've rummaged through Forbidden Planet's stuff at the local NYC shows before and have never come away with anything that nice! Congrats on the pick-ups! Those Boris horror covers are awesome - say what you will about his other work, but his '70s-early '80s work was top-drawer. That Sanjulian Vampi #12 cover is smokin' too!

Oh man, I've rummaged through Forbidden Planet's stuff at the local NYC shows before and have never come away with anything that nice! Congrats on the pick-ups! Those Boris horror covers are awesome - say what you will about his other work, but his '70s-early '80s work was top-drawer. That Sanjulian Vampi #12 cover is smokin' too!

I went back today and rummaged through their piles again, but I didn't find anything. The guy next to me said that Forbidden Planet was Joe Koch. Is that true? I did notice a few Comico Primers...

I went back today and rummaged through their piles again, but I didn't find anything. The guy next to me said that Forbidden Planet was Joe Kotch. Is that true? I did notice a few Comico Primers...

Yeah, Koch had (and still has) a fair amount of Comico Primers, for certain. Koch isn't FP, but he does work with them and consigns a lot of stock to their store.