• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where can I find circulation stats for books?

26 posts in this topic

I've seen some threads where people have posted the circulation numbers of various books from SA/BA era. Where do you guys find these stats? I've searched on Yahoo and found nothing. I'd really like to find the stats of the books. Can someone help me out? thumbsup2.gif

Mostly from a book called The Standard Catalog of Comics. -Deathlok

Search Amazon.com,....they usually have used books for sale too. thumbsup2.gif

Just like deja Vu, all over again! makepoint.gif

if you're trying to figure out rarity it's not how many were printed, but how many were kept. i was bagging some 1960s gold keys and looked inside 1000 leagues... #12 from the mid/early 60s and it had a 450K print run! (granted, circulation was more like 250K because so many wound up being newstand returns -- whether they got pulped or re-sold, i have no idea). this is not terribly different than the print/run circulation numbers I've seen in marvel super hero books from that era, but it certainly seems like there are many many more marvel super hero books. all i can think of is that the marvel fans were more devoted, kept their comics, some collectors figured marvel would be worth something in the future, but not gold key, etc., while more of the gold keys got tossed. makes perfect sense given that few of the gold key titles had long lives and devoted followings.

oh yeah, in case you didn't know, once a year they'd publish the print run/circulation figures in each comic because it was a postal regulation. dunno if that's still done because there are so few (mail) subscriptions in comics nowadays. one more reason to own low grade readers: fun to flip through, don't worry about damage and there's interesting stuff in there.

The worst thing about this book is that it only lists SALES and not PRINT RUN statistics.

For example, an Bronze copy of ASM might have sold 300K but printed 700K, and Krause lists the 300K number only. Of course, we all know that a significant percentage of the extra 400K in print run went out the back door to comic shops, or found their way into warehouse finds like MH2....

So basically, the numbers are next-to-useless for "rarity" purposes and really downplay the sheer number of copies out there.

Personally, I wish the book included both Sales and Print Run stats.

well, if you want print runs buy all the issues in an inexpensive reader grade so that you aren't worried about taking them out of their baggies and looking at them! the circulation numbers are usually around the letters section. you have a 1/12 chance of getting an issue with those figures.

What the [embarrasing lack of self control] are you talking about? screwy.gif

I was referring to the Krause book with the sales figures in them, and wishing it had both those and the circulation figures found in the Statement of Ownership, Management and Circulation found in the Letter's pages.

When they input 175,738 for Average Paid Circulation from Captain America 162-173, why not input 349,401 for Average Print Run?

P.S. Could someone look up the stats for that Captain America period, and see if the numbers match up or not (if not, what was the number?). There are a lot of numbers in those statements, and I wonder which one Krause actually used.

Very occasionally, Krause will publish all (or maybe most) of the numbers next to a single individual issue. It will say something like "contains Ownership Statement: Average print number ____ Total Paid Circulation ____ etc." From those occasional citations, I've decided that the Standard Guide uses the Total Paid Circulation figure and then attempts to apply it to the previous 12 months' worth of issues. There is a lot of room for ambiguity when it comes to which years' worth of issues line up with the annual Statement, but there you go.

I'd also like to see the Total Print Run numbers routinely published. As I recall, it is pretty consistent across the board that a generally-successful book "sold" about 40% of its print run. No wonder rising paper prices killed newstand distribution: the majority of the print runs were pulped or fell off the truck! foreheadslap.gif