• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions needed for Jack Kirby Sig...
1 1

23 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, eee91 said:

From myslabbedcomics here, this one is a Roz Kirby verified by the-other-company-

roz.png.c1b3b21c4f9a91f5f5b0bc91c7c7b8c3.png

This is my Dynamic Forces signed Jack Kirby, which consensus seems to be that Roz Kirby signed these-

df.png.4915c64c31141e2b4073307ffacb453e.png

From an earlier CGC thread here, this is a great comparison image. The top example looks like a legit Kirby and the bottom two are most likely Roz Kirby-

screenshot.png.b68255108e202d9b2393c19674825577.png

To me, your example doesn't look legit. And there are definitely forgers of Kirby's sig. One of the worst forgers on eBay is actually a member on these boards here. 

It was whispered around comic cons when I was a kid that Roz Kirby ghost-signed a lot of autographs for her husband. She was an artist in her own right, and like many wives can, she could do a reasonable fake of her husband's sig. 

Can you provide any details that are useful when comparing the two, that is, what to look for? 

On 11/17/2019 at 7:17 PM, jokiing said:

I have two raw copies of Destroyer Duck 1 with signatures.... bought new in 1982. Would be interested to know where to send for signature verification and whether CGC would accept the verification and crown books with yellow labels?

Signature verification - there're a couple of autograph companies that do verification. One of CGC's rival grading companies also does verification. 

CGC doesn't accept verification. CGC only does signature witnessing. Since Kirby died in 1995 and CGC didn't exist until 2000, there are no yellow-label Kirbys.

13 hours ago, silverweb said:

Can you provide any details that are useful when comparing the two, that is, what to look for? 

I hesitate to do that simply because crooks use Google, too. One of the most awful forgers on eBay posts here on the CGC boards, so I'd rather not give that guy any tips on improving his fakes. Plus while I have a list of "tells" that I use to help spot fakes, I'm only human and I've been fooled, too. Probably better to have people post their sigs here, then someone knowledgeable - like Mr Zipper or others - can chime in. 

With the caveat that I'm not an expert - just a nerd who has a couple of Kirbys in his collection - I will share this-

screenshot.png.b68255108e202d9b2393c1967

Authentic Kirbys have a consistent slant to them. Look at the one at the top. The "J" and "k" in Jack, the "K" and "b" and "y" in Kirby are all parallel. As if they were signed by one of the greatest artists of the 20th century - a guy who had an amazing hand and had the God-given ability to make lines look sharp and orderly without even trying. 

On the lower ones, the J, k, K, b, y are all in different slants and angles.