• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOS 39 - updated grade and grader notes
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Universal 2.5 Cream to off-white 

Hey guys need help is this mold on this book at top FC looking more at the black dots 

CGC book

Universal 2.5 Cream to off-white 

34AFD743-2097-40F3-8C3E-FDB615722E5A.thumb.jpeg.baf108f034d35ad3482544d7af2ded14.jpeg07F299CD-6944-47E4-93BE-C49195FDB623.thumb.jpeg.82b90a197b841bba85f5da22c93d5b71.jpeg

Edited by Krismusic
updated

9 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I don't think it is mold. Just grit. :cool:

That’s what I’m thinking don’t have book in hand and not very familiar with spotting mold but next question since it’s slabbed would the mold still spread to the rest of my collection? 

9 hours ago, Krismusic said:

That’s what I’m thinking don’t have book in hand and not very familiar with spotting mold but next question since it’s slabbed would the mold still spread to the rest of my collection? 

Not if you keep it as far away from the rest of your collection as possible...

@The Lions Den @joeypost can I get your insights on this? Also do you think the graders notes would note Mold, seller doesn't have the notes and I dont want to waste 10$ on buying the graders notes, as if its mold I think I would pass on it as I don't want it to spread to the rest of my collection. 

22 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Ask for a back cover scan.

sorry had a back cover forgot to upload it.

he said he looked at it and it doesn't look like mold but he is not 100% sure.. 

I just dont want mold as I dont want it spreading to my collection as this baby will stay with me for awhile.. 

25 minutes ago, Gruson said:

Looks like early foxing. I would pass.  

ok thanks my main concern is the mold. 

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

@James J Johnson can I get your opinion on this book.. 

Just landed. The sepia-like tone of the images makes is not conducive for a definitive call, but based on what I can see, my estimate would be debris and not mold. I sense a third dimension to it, as though it's on the surface rather than part of the surface. As though it can be passively removed without resorting to any type of aggressive remedy that would trigger anything but a blue label. Not mold, based on what I can discern from the images.

It isn't mold or foxing. One time, many years ago I removed spots like this on a book, turned out it was tiny drops of paint. Either spray paint or the little drops a roller produces. Personally, in this case, I don't think it is paint. 

Scientifically the term for spots like this is "shmutz". 

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

It isn't mold or foxing. One time, many years ago I removed spots like this on a book, turned out it was tiny drops of paint. Either spray paint or the little drops a roller produces. Personally, in this case, I don't think it is paint. 

Scientifically the term for spots like this is "shmutz". 

thanks much appreciate all the feedback.. the seller says it looks like a good press and clean might help the book present really well.. maybe I will go down that road later but just want to make sure nothing harmful if I place it with the rest of my collection.

12 hours ago, Krismusic said:

@The Lions Den @joeypost can I get your insights on this? Also do you think the graders notes would note Mold, seller doesn't have the notes and I dont want to waste 10$ on buying the graders notes, as if its mold I think I would pass on it as I don't want it to spread to the rest of my collection. 

Sorry I'm late to the party...

Of course, Joey and JJJ are known experts on this type of thing; I'd agree with whatever they say.

But I can tell you this---I don't like it, whatever it is... 

Thanks everyone for their input it helped a lot I am now the proud owner of TOS 39!!! :whee::cloud9:

@joeypost

@James J Johnson

Special thanks to you guys for the expert info.. Joeypost I believe was correct (what a eye and experience, wow!) under the scope it was paint it had shiny gold metallic flakes in the black paint spots and had a texture to part of the dot that lifted off the page like you can pick it off. I also think the yellow stain might be from yellow paint and possibly a mixture of paint thinners as a best guess as looks like it bleed into the paper slightly as there is colour still there.