• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 5 CGC 9.2 CHIPPING HELP

9 posts in this topic

I love me some early ASM'S....couple issues I am having a hard time filling in my run in high grade are 5 and 6 without chipping or pre chipping.

Both issues are plagued with it, and it seems in my experience that CGC does not down grade very much if at all for pre marvel chipping.

Ice has a nice 5 9.2 that I would snag in an instant if I could be sure it did not have chipping. After MUCH back and forth they seem to be unable or unwilling to clarify if the said book has it.

Initially they told me that it had a 9.6 edge and no chipping.  But after looking at the images far too many times I wasn't convinced so asked for more scans, and the grader notes.

Although again in my experience CGC does not denote chipping for whatever reason .(Anyone know why this is?? Not a down gradable defect? Huh?? ) 

Their pictures while colorful (lacking an appropriate adjective here) on their website are not crisp enough to zoom in for any closer details. They apparently do not have a s can ner and the pics they provided were either conveniently blurry on the areas I requested and even circled the suspected affected areas via markup , or simply not close up enough , although other quadrant pics were? ) They have been extremely responsive and very friendly but it all seems "fishy" for the lack of a better term.

With 9.4's few and far between and now setting record GPA'S I think I will have to settle for a 9.0 or 9.2 , and would in a heartbeat but I would love another opinion if it is chipped or not.

Scans attached please let me know what you think? I hate being such a PITA but it's a lot of coin and while chipping may be acceptable for some it is a deal breaker for me.

This is not a complaint by any means for these guys just a lifeline to my fellow forum members with better and perhaps younger eyes than I , its a large purchase for me so any assistance and opinionswould be greaty appreciated.

Thank you ,

Some correspondence from start to end, thoughts?

Thanks for the notes , unfortunately they do not disclose every defect in my experience.

And that’s okay if the images are clear enough or book is in hand .

Can you get some high resolutions pics or scans of the right edge ? 

And assure me that there is not any chipping or pre chipping present ? 

I can see what appears to be pre chipping in the green area and by the #5

Anything you can send me to clear that up ? 

Or is there a return policy ? Typically I would not ask on graded books as I usually know the answer . 
But if you allowed a return I would pull the trigger or if we can get clear high resolution  pics that show no chipping it’s a deal .

Are you guys doing any upcoming shows ?

"As for what we can see, we can't see any pre-Marvel chipping. We think the edges look 9.4-9.6"

Thanks 

Just the right edge , if you look at it closely for any chipping or tears. 

I think I can  see a tear in the green logo on the right as I magnified and circled .

Some of the closer pics are better 

Or perhaps the book at an angle on that edge 

It should be pretty apparent in hand to a discerning eye , harder to capture in a pic 

On Nov 16, 2019, at 9:21 AM, 

I actually got this from home last night.  I can ask to see if we can get some closer-up pics from one of my co-workers, specifically whereabouts are the needed extra pics?  I can kind of see where you're referring to now sadly we have no scanner, we use a camera (a good one), but I am far from a technical wiz!  Let me see what I can get you and we can go from there, but LMK what you'd really like to see and I will get those for you.

And the last email:

"I sadly cannot 100% say there is no pre-Marvel chipping.  I can say there is no current chipping.  But the edge, even looking straight on, I cannot guarantee that, so that's really a can of worms sadly."

Resized_20191115_111955_1070.jpeg

Resized_20191115_111957_2087 copy.jpg

Resized_20191115_112003_4286001.jpeg

Resized_20191115_112012_4719.jpeg

Resized_20191116_142307_8703.jpeg

Resized_20191115_112019_3391.jpeg

Resized_20191115_112007_1868.jpeg

I'm confused.  The book is an unrestored CGC 9.2 and appears to have one tiny pre-chip, a minor tear at one staple, the staple placement off the spine and onto the back cover, and  signs of it potentially having been pressed, with the pages sticking out from the front cover and the top edge with the 'starched collar' look that lacks natural overhang.  Are you suggesting that if there is one tiny pre-chip on the right edge, you don't want the comic?

Also curious: what's the page quality, and how well preserved is the white cover stock, two factors that are important ones for my collecting taste but which don't get mention in your description or illustration in your pics?

And finally: what is "Ice"?

Edited by namisgr

To be honest, to find a Spidey #5 in this condition is pretty amazing, pressed or otherwise. And as long as the page quality is Off-White or better, you're good there.

I certainly understand your desire to find the best copy you can, but I find it hard to believe you'd feel any dissatisfaction in owning a copy in this condition. Most collectors would be doing multiple backflips at the thought of owning a book like this. But of course, this is a big decision. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck...   :cloud9: 

Edited by The Lions Den

13 hours ago, namisgr said:

I'm confused.  The book is an unrestored CGC 9.2 and appears to have one tiny pre-chip, a minor tear at one staple, the staple placement off the spine and onto the back cover, and  signs of it potentially having been pressed, with the pages sticking out from the front cover and the top edge with the 'starched collar' look that lacks natural overhang.  Are you suggesting that if there is one tiny pre-chip on the right edge, you don't want the comic?

Also curious: what's the page quality, and how well preserved is the white cover stock, two factors that are important ones for my collecting taste but which don't get mention in your description or illustration in your pics?

And finally: what is "Ice"?

ICE is International Comic Exchange

Edited by Jordysnordy

5 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

There is a very nice 5 9.2 in the current CL auction.

DB1F37E1-988A-4CC4-953A-1F88165A1D80.jpeg

Thank you I saw it , typically their auctions go pretty high and with the current uptick on this issue I am worried it will be a gap hard to fill.

Not loving the miscut on it either, its funny when you I am at my last few needed to complete my run how unbelievably picky I am .

And to think I passed on a 9.4 last year for 15k, seems like a deal now

Edited by UncleBEN

8 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

Thank you I saw it , typically their auctions go pretty high and with the current uptick on this issue I am worried it will be a gap hard to fill.

Not loving the miscut on it either, its funny when you I am at my last few needed to complete my run how unbelievably picky I am .

And to think I passed on a 9.4 last year for 15k, seems like a deal now

I wonder why the big uptick with 5. I’m sure you saw the 9.4 that sold for $26400.00 on HA this week.